Yet another dual resident question

I know a million versions of this question exist, but I just want to be 100% sure before I give my old man advice.

He's a dual resident of MA and FL. He has a resident LTC A in MA. While at his place in FL, he picked up a new carry pistol, and he would like to bring it back home with him (he'll be at his place in ma for a couple months, then back to FL for a few months).

When he brings the firearm into MA, he simply needs to file an FA10 with the registration box checked, yes?

Your father is not a dual resident of MA and FL.

If he holds and relies upon a resident MA LTC, he'd better be a MA resident.

If he is considered to be a dual resident for ATF purposes (only) and, therefore, can legally purchase a handgun in FL, then the FA-10 answer given above is correct.

EKG,
You are wrong. If he lives in Fl part of the year and MA part of the year, he is a resident of whatever state he is in.

He can only be domiciled in one state.

Placeholder- what state does he vote in? What state does he list as his address on his taxes?

If he is domiciled in MA then whether FL considers him to be a resident is up to FL. Ind I can tell you with absolute certainty that they don't care.

Don

does that mean if I buy a vacation home in NH I can buy guns while Im on vacation there and bring them to MA the rest of the year?

does that mean if I buy a vacation home in NH I can buy guns while Im on vacation there and bring them to MA the rest of the year?

Yes absolutely, provided you meet the requirements in NH law to be considered a resident. You are certainly a resident if you use it as a weekend home. One week a year, might be pushing it.
You need to read the actual NH law. Don't call the NHSP and ask. They don't know. Call the NH AG and ask them to provide you with a reference law number so you can look it up yourself.

Don

Back
Top Bottom