XDs 45

I have one. Size wise, its amazing that they got a .45 this small. Its fairly accurate for its short barrel and pretty light also. Its smaller than a Glock 26. Recoil is there, but not bad (to me anyway). My only real complaint is that the slide rubs the top of my hand and draws blood after a mag or 2. Its not anything I am doing wrong, just the way it fits in my rather big sandwich clamps. The handle is so small that there is no other way for me to hold it.

I have one of the seven round extended mags which eliminate the problem, but they really kill the concealment when I use them. That's kind of the whole point to having a small gun like that.

I also don't really like having only 5+1 rounds in a carry piece because I am not the best shooter around. For a close up "Oh shit" gun, its great. If I were going into a dangerous area, I would want more capacity however. Just my opinion. I like the XDs, but never really fell in love with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have the .45 version. Great gun. Shoots really well for a small framed gun. VERY concealable. It's almost the size of a pm9 which I also have.

They have a 9mm version now if you don't like .45

Mr Hao, looking good all decked out in your avatar:)

Back to the OP. i had the xds 45 and while i loved its ergos putting my +p hst 230gr loads in it stung my hands to no end, so i sold it and picked up a g21,

Xds has the best slide serrations i put my hands on and a great grip texture. The mag release is a pain though, i didnt like it at all.

Now looking at either a glock 30/30sf/30S or a glock 36 for my next gun

A family member has one. He bought his second hand for $475. Damn thing choked on nearly every brand and type of .45 ammo he put through it. It would never go through an entire magazine without a malfunction of some sort... that's pretty bad for a 6rd gun. He sold it a week or two later and bought a 9mm shield.

Recoil was nice for a .45. I don't have anything in .45, but that gun (if functioning properly) would be a great carry gun in .45). Too bad his was a lemon.

Decent guns despite the fact that I think that a .45 ACP handgun that small is a shitty concept... (I don't really like .45s smaller than a G30/G30SF... ) but if that's how you roll, it's not a bad choice.

I think springfield ****ed up here though and they should have released the 9mm first. My guess is they didn't because of the ATF importation points problem.

-Mike

You could go to the firing line in Manchester to rent one.

It was accurate enough for me, especially with the extended pinky magazine, but as already said here, that has corners that affect its concealability. Recoil was less than I'd expected, maybe because the barrel sits lower than other 45s I've shot? That does mean the rail sits lower too and can bite you.

The lower capacity is an issue with me. it's also got a fairly aggressive grip and tired out my hand after half a box of ammo. That's less of an issue - not intended for an extensive firefight.

Last edited:
Decent guns despite the fact that I think that a .45 ACP handgun that small is a shitty concept... (I don't really like .45s smaller than a G30/G30SF... ) but if that's how you roll, it's not a bad choice.

I think springfield ****ed up here though and they should have released the 9mm first. My guess is they didn't because of the ATF importation points problem.

-Mike

I put 30 rounds through my XDs yesterday and even tried shooting it one handed. Recoil is so manageable it isn't even funny. I love this gun more and more. No mag disconnect is another plus. Carries like a dream.

I finally broke in my new XDM .45, the 3.8" version

I put 150 rounds through it, the recoil, in my opinion was less than my Ruger P89 9mm, very, very manageable
I found it to be very accurate and quite pleasurable to shoot, my step-son has a .40 XDM, he thought the recoil was less than his .40

Not a single jam, despite some claiming that compact .45's jam all the time :p

I am VERY pleased with this purchase

Last edited:
I finally broke in my new XDM .45, the 3.8" version

I put 150 rounds through it, the recoil, in my opinion was less than my Ruger P89 9mm, very, very manageable
I found it to be very accurate and quite pleasurable to shoot, my step-son has a .40 XDM, he thought the recoil was less than his .40

Not a single jam, despite some claiming that compact .45's jam all the time :p

I am VERY pleased with this purchase

This is about the XDs not XDm [wink] I hope to have a 9mm XDm 4.5" Croatian beast. Drool.

Got to shoot small 45's like a man. Limp wristing will create all sorts of problems and malfunctions. If your gonna carry it make sure you practice with it to avoid any of those issues.

It's well known around these parts that I love my G36. The XDs is nice, but a tad to small for my likings.

Love and carry my XDS regularly. The recoil is pretty amazing for such a small 45 as it kinda goes back into your arm more then muzzle rises. Hard to explain as its one of those gotta try for yourself kind of things. It's even gotten better after applying Talon Grips.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Is the CDs am compliant? If it is it's next on my list!

- - - Updated - - -

Damn auto correct. Is the xds ma. Compliant?

XDs with a PRP spring kit is my EDC. Love everything about it. No complaints. With a 7 round mag it's slightly smaller than a 1911 Officer model.

They are a real fun gun to shoot. It is amazing how damn small it is for a 45.
My fathers packs one around daily and it has never choked on any 45 ACP ball or Federal Hydra Shock.

smitty

Back
Top Bottom