WWI era Colt Model 1911

An exceptional original Colt M1911 rig had been at a not so local shop for a couple of months, priced steep with no wiggle room, and I would go 40 miles out of my way a few times just to drool and dream.

Finally, I just decided to sell off one of my North Korean SKSs to fund the 1917 serialed Colt. The shop owner kindly held it for me until the auction finished. The pistol came with a belt, holster, lanyard, two mag pouches, two unopened WWI boxes of ammo, and an M17 trench knife with scabbard.

Got it home today. More detailed pics tomorrow, and thanks for looking

8OkF3Dql.jpg

C9Cfg4Gl.jpg

Wow = Thats an Impressive Group!

Great Historical Purchase. Enjoy it and thanks for posting pics of everything.

Good decision Matt. I am glad someone I know bought it. It gives me a chance to see it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an incredible group.

I'd shoot it; one mag, just because I won't own guns I haven't shot. But that is gorgeous.

I've long passed the stage where I have to shoot everything. This one will remain as a collectible. But I do understand the temptation!

Here are some pics with a background which my camera's color meter likes. They are the best depictions of the actual appearance.

SKz2YJBl.jpg

nwZVuPLl.jpg

9HK0xAol.jpg

NCyokDfl.jpg

vayXVJRl.jpg

SWBEbEOl.jpg

Mine is a little older (delivered to Springfield 11/27/17) and looks positively decrepit next to yours. Mine went through two World Wars (Colt "G" barrel 1937-1942), and possibly beyond. Yours looks like it occasionally went into a holster. True collector piece.

congrats.

I was going to shoot a rifle today, but I haven't shot this one in about two years, so I thought I might....

t

Attachments

• IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 34
Since Martin08 won't shoot his, I shot mine in honor of its 100th birthday. 65 rounds of WWB at 45 size 11 footprints from the target (get it, 45?). Lots of fun, but I think I like my 3/1918 M17 S/W just a little better.

Took me a few minute to figure out how to take it apart to clean it. I did shoot the spring retainer off the ceiling the first time as the catch wasn't engaged score turning![smile]

T

Attachments

• IMG_2705.jpg
    IMG_2705.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thanks for the surrogate range session. My pistol feels better now.

[smile]

Performed a few 'upgrades' on the rig.

1. Swapped the olive drab pistol belt with a khaki weave with unfinished brass hardware.
2. Gave the trench knife scabbard a place to hang on a pre-1912 Mills khaki rifle ammo belt with Eagle snaps.
3. Traded the LF&C trench knife for one in much better finish condition.
4. Added a leather mag pouch marked, QMC JEFF. 1922 HEK. I know that it's post-war, and meant to be used with a leather belt/harness, but it is not often seen and really cool.
5. Gave the pistol a detail strip, clean and lube. Can't really see that work once it is reassembled, but I feel better about it. Note: No appreciable internal wear on this puppy.

HA5OS5El.jpg

gcdfMT5l.jpg

w8x6j88l.jpg

dMqsVZll.jpg

V4xlERVl.jpg

DpuWignl.jpg

dG6Ni8Yl.jpg

OGvFPBol.jpg

tXIHpUdl.jpg

Up until now, I never realized the pyramids on the knucklebow were hollow. I always assumed they were milled.

You learn something new every day.

Mine is a little older (delivered to Springfield 11/27/17) and looks positively decrepit next to yours. Mine went through two World Wars (Colt "G" barrel 1937-1942), and possibly beyond. Yours looks like it occasionally went into a holster. True collector piece.

congrats.

I was going to shoot a rifle today, but I haven't shot this one in about two years, so I thought I might....

t

Of mine only the frame # 448985 is remaining, now fitted with a Mk. IV 70 series slide. The mainspring housing has been replaced by an A1-style somewhen during her long service life. The most valuable accessory that came with it is a Colt .22 Conversion Unit.

Very, very nice! Can't blame you at all for keeping that one as a collector piece. You are welcome to shoot my R1 anytime. If you squint your eyes a lot, it's almost like the real thing, LOL. Maybe not...

Back
Top Bottom