Would you pay over MSRP?

This is a "what-if" question only.
I am NOT suggesting that anyone break any laws.
So here is my question:
If you could buy any non-MA compliant handgun LEGALLY from someone here in Massachusetts would you be willing to pay over MSRP for the gun? For the purposes of this discussion we will assume the gun is NIB.
If you would, what gun would you want?
Again, I want to reiterate, I am NOT advocating that anyone break any laws.

The best way to check pricing is take a look at the classifides here and do a search on the auction sites, set search filters by state and "sold items".
People do it all the time.,

We have the opportunity to do that all the time in these classifieds.

I guess it comes down to just how badly you want the item.

The 800 dollar Glocks, and the 1200 dollar Kimbers come to mind.

I don't think I would, but you never know.

Bob

+1 especially on the money you MA residents pay for a 3rd Gen Glock when they show up

I paid more than MSRP for my gen3 G22, but it came with 12 magazines, a KKM barrel,and 250 rounds of FMJ ammo.
I paid 600 for it.

I don't see how the MSRP for guns or anything else matters. If a willing buyer wants to meet the price that a willing seller is looking for then you have a deal and both parties are happy. If not, not.

I am no sure if this qualifies but my pre-ban AR lower cost me 2.5 times what I would have paid for a post ban lower. It was worth every penny [smile]

First of all, there are no laws against buying off-roster guns; if a dealer is willing to sell you a brand new Glock, Kimber or Springfield, there is NO REASON why you shouldn't buy it. All liability lies with the FFL, not the buyer.

Second, MSRP is a bullshit number - no one sells at MRSP. You walk into Four Seasons and you'll find M&Ps listed for $500. MSRP is $720. And If all of a sudden GLOCK magically changed the MSRP on a Model 17 to $1,000, would that make it worth buying at $800?

The laws of supply and demand are far more powerful than the laws of MSRP. There are only a few guns of a certain model easily accessible in MA, and there are many people who want them. Sellers are able to ask a premium because if you're not willing to pay above the "free state" market price, your neighbor will.

And the laws of personal economics are greater than that.

Some people, like Greg, take a certain pride in not paying (or at least not claiming to have paid) more than the "market price" of a certain gun. Others, like Jay G, realize that certain guns are rare and difficult to find in MA, and often you have to pay a premium to get them. Clearly he's paid that premium, and it's been worth it for him.

Personally, I've found that if you're patient, you know a few people and you're willing to take the time to make it happen, you can get nearly any off-roster gun in MA at "free state" market price.

But it's all up to you.

When ai was trying to find the 22A that I wanted, I had finally accepted to pay over MSRP. The S&W guide said $356 was their MSRP, though I had been quoted $300 by a couple of stores (who at that point didn't realize the specific one I wanted wasn't MA compliant).
When I finally found someone who claimed to have what I wanted, he quoted me $369. I was pissed at first but finally figured, it's what I want so it's worth it. If it had turned out that he DID have what I want,m I woud have bought it, even though it was $69 more than I'd been quoted and $13 more than MSRP.

When buying anything, I look at several factors: What I could get it for elsewhere, IF I could get it elsewhere, what I can afford, and what it's worth to me. Ultimately, the last bit is the most important to me. If I can't get it anywhere else, then I must decide if the asking price is worth it to me. If it is, I buy it with no regrets. If not, I pass.

So here is my question:
If you could buy any non-MA compliant handgun LEGALLY from someone here in Massachusetts would you be willing to pay over MSRP for the gun? For the purposes of this discussion we will assume the gun is NIB.

Well, would you pay $14 for a box of 9mm ammo?
A year ago I'd say no. Now I'd say yes...if I could find it.

If you want it, you have to pay for it.
Your other option is to wait around until another one pops up and hope it's not over MSRP...which it will be.

People pay WAY over MSRP for guns that are hard to get in MA every day, 3rd gen glocks for 700+, Springfield xDs from 600+, H&K, Kimber, Kel Tec. If you want it and its available, people jump on it no matter the price, who knows when and in what condition another will be up for sale.

Yes, I have and probably will again if I find something I want that is hard to come by in this state. Not much other choice when it comes to hard to find non compliant firearms.

I would in select situations. I've reached an age where, if there is something I think will give me some satisfaction and pleasure, I'll pay some extra... within reason... especially if it is an item that is hard to come by.

I also put into that equation the value of my time. I own a business with offices in fours cities across the US. Plus a wife, three kids, a Mom and sister, and a dog and a bird. I'm busy and value any time I can get.

YMMV,

Cheers,

Rich

I expect to pay msrp+ now for anything gun or ammo related.
Its the way it is in this state.
I need g-23 preban mags(ma legal) and will have to pay near double what they are retailing for new.

So here is my question:

ABSOLUTELY. If I want it I will pay for it. Hopefully none of you would be willing to pay more than MSRP so I won't have to out bid you all. If it's a decent gun and you want it you will soon forget how much you paid to get it.

-Cuz.

People pay over MSRP all the time right here in the classifieds... I see overpriced guns all the time and if I see one that I want and I have the $$$ I would pay over MSRP... If I valued my precious resources(cash) more than let's say a pre-ban AR that's decked out then I wouldn't pay the $2100 that I see them going for these days...so far I haven't but I REALLY want my evil black rifle so I probably will

Back
Top Bottom