Would anyone know what this is on the side of my M1 Garand?

My CMP Service Grade Springfield M1 Garand was delivered Friday. Awsome rifle and I can't wait to get it to the range. However, there's something mounted on the side that I haven't seen on any other Garand. Would anyone know what this is? Many Thanks.

m1garandbjpg.jpg

m1garandajpg.jpg

Given it has markings in degrees I'm gonna make a WAG that it's to estimate range when launching rifle grenades.

Edit: Well, I was pretty close. It's a bracket to which you attach a grenade launching sight

Last edited:
I wouldn't call that a shame!!! That's a piece of memorabilia that went with that particular rifle and that most other folks don't have on their M1's.

M1 Garand side attachment for Grenade launcher sight

The rest if the grenade launcher sight attaches onto that plate. The numbers are degrees of elevation. Not seen to often these days as it catches on everything. Signts are cheap if you don't have the rest of it.

Hope this lets you sleep now.

Learned something new today- thanks folks.

I think its very cool also, piece of history not many have included.

I keep seeing some really nice Service grades comeing through, I may have to order another. I have a SA 1942 and SA 52 both Awesome.

If the OP wants the sight, I've got one here still in the oiled paper wrap. $10 and I'll ship it to you.

Back
Top Bottom