• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wolf Primers

I have what I think is an odd issue. I use the wolf primers (cheap, yay!) for my 45 reloads. Yes, I'm using the large pockets, so these are wolf large pistol primers.

However - when I run through the second round of reloading using my LNL, I've found that a large percentage (maybe 10-20%) of the primers will not deprime properly in the sizing/decap die. This jams up the machine, and I have to unscrew the plate a little remove the round (and the other rounds further along in the press).

What I've been doing is finishing what I can with the interruptions, using a punch to remove the mangled primers, and then finishing with the brass with no primer. Has anyone else had this issue? It's almost like the primers stretch a little too much rather than pop out.

I know - Russian engineering at it's best.

Any ideas, thoughts, experiences?

Thanks.

Is the decapping pin getting stuck in the flash hole? Is it properly adjusted? What brand of die is it?

No personal experience with their large pistol primers, but I've gone through many thousands of their small rifle magnum primers with no issues. They are a snug fit (which is a good thing in my opinion,) so maybe you just need to adjust your decapping pin.

It's not getting stuck in the flash hole - the primer is getting pushed out, but not enough to pop it. It only happens on these wolf primers, and previous to this I haven't had any issues. If it was getting stuck in the flash hole, it would probably break. I haven't had any issues like this before I went the second round with the brass with the wolf primers in them.

It's not getting stuck in the flash hole - the primer is getting pushed out, but not enough to pop it. It only happens on these wolf primers, and previous to this I haven't had any issues. If it was getting stuck in the flash hole, it would probably break. I haven't had any issues like this before I went the second round with the brass with the wolf primers in them.

How far past the base of the case does the pin go? Is it one of the spring-loaded type like the Lee universal?

Just extend the decapping pin a little farther.
I cant say if its loader issue........but I had to adjust my decaper after switching to wolf large rifle primers in 30 06......they would just hang on ever so slighlty....with out falling out......I never took the time to measure to see if they actually are little taller or slight design difference internally where decap pin hits?

Yeah just tweak the pin down so it is around 1/4" instead of 3/16". Or as far as you can before bottoming out on the flash hole.

Privi was the same for me.

Just an update. Extended the pin a bit and that solved the issue.

Dunno how after reloading for so long, I didn't think of that.

Doh...

Back
Top Bottom