• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wolf .223

My DPMS came with a sheet saying which ammo that can be used and which to avoid. The Wolf lacquered is to be avoided but it says nothing about the plastic coated.Actually it says to avoid ANY steel cased lacquered ammo

hmm...mine did not come with such a sheet.

thanks for the link, that answers that question.

Barrel does not say mil -spec. so I should then avoid Wolf/Brown Bear?

You don't need to avoide them, as they are both SAAMI spec 223 Remington ammo and it will shoot fine without any risk of overpressure in both 223 Remington SAAMI (civ) and 5.56X45 NATO (mil-spec) chambers.

ETA: best stick to polymer coated Wolf, as their old lacquer coating *might* become soft under heavy sustained firing due to chamber temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to avoide them, as they are both SAAMI spec 223 Remington ammo and it will shoot fine without any risk of overpressure in both 223 Remington SAAMI (civ) and 5.56X45 NATO (mil-spec) chambers.

ETA: best stick to polymer coated Wolf, as their old lacquer coating *might* become soft under heavy sustained firing due to chamber temps.

Ok, thanks. As a side question - the lower says .223 - 5.56 on it - and I have heard they are basically the same round. No problem shooting either?

I will avoid the lacquer coated stuff then.

I'll fire off and email to Bushmaster when I'm back after the holidays

Not back yet, but fired off this email already:
Hi,
I have simple question about the ammo I can use in the DCM model I just picked up used. The catalog page for the DCM barrel, http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/dcm/9349054-20cga.asp says it has a "custom match specification chamber" and that "Both 5.56mm and .223 Rem. ammunition can be safely used in the DCM Competition Barrel." Sounds great, but then I read the DCM model's Tech Sheet, http://www.bushmaster.com/electronic-documents/TechSheets/XM15 Model PDFs/DCM Rifle.pdf that says "the Firing Chamber is machined to SAAMI specifications". Especially confusing because on the same Tech Sheet it in the Features section it says "Caliber...5.56mm or .223 Rem."

In my experience 5.56 means NATO mil-spec. OK, please spell it out for this confused new owner of your DCM model. :) Can I use surplus M193 and/or any other 5.56 mil-spec ammo safely and with no more wear to the chamber and barrel then commercial .223 Rem ammo like Black Hills? Speaking of which, for match ammo, do you have a list of recommended commercial ammo know to work well with your DCM model? Since I'm just starting out, I don't want to have to buy boxes of everything (hard to do in Mass anyway) just to learn what y'all already know.

thanks,
Chuck

And got back this reply today:
Subject: Chambers, 20" DCM/CMP, 20" Predator & 24" Varminter

The 20" DCM/CMP, 20" fluted Predator & 24" fluted Varminter barrels have a custom match hybrid chambering that uses the tighter SAAMI Spec headspace from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face. It has the longer "Leade" or throat that will accommodate the 5.56mm ammunition so it can be used without developing higher pressures as in a .223 caliber chamber that have a shorter "Leade" or throat.
Both 5.56mm and .223 caliber ammunition can safely be used in the 20" DCM/CMP, 20" Predator & 24" Varminter rifles.

The 5.56mm Spec chambers have a "looser" headspace tolerance from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face for reliable full auto functioning.

You can use both the 5.56 and .223 ammunition in the rifle. The 5.56mm ammunition will not wear the barrel any faster than the .223 ammunition. The Blacks Hills ammunition in a variety of weights is usually what we recommend for use in the rifles. It is consistent and accurate ammunition. People have reported good results with the Federal Gold 69 gr BTHP ammunition as well.
Thank you,

Jim Eden
Technical Support
Bushmaster Firearms International, LLC
Office: 1-800-883-6229 ext. 277
Fax: 207-892-8068

Do with this information what you will. I'm leaning towards not using any lacquer coated Wolf (not knowing the difference I luckily have poly coated), will shoot surplus 5.56 if I find it at a lower cost then .223 Rem, but will mostly shoot this rifle in, or training for, Hi Power matches so I'll be trying out the better match stuff -- maybe talk to Nickel's dad see what he's brewing!

-= Chuck

Bad News

I called about my order today since my credit card has yet to be charged. They refuse to ship to MA because of liability and the threat of a suit. Sorry guys.

Back
Top Bottom