• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter reloading

walter62

NES Member
I'm just getting my XL750 setup in the unheated garage but I'm already thinking about what to do when winter arrives.

The press is on a rolling tool 'bench' and it could be rolled into the house and placed in a temp location (another !!! advantage of living alone)
or I could try to sorta heat the reload area of the garage but I'm not fond of explosions :(

Maybe hang some plastic to split the garage space and just heat the reload area but what method would be most 'safe' ???

I reload in the basement which is pretty well insulated and gets "chilly" - i.e., 50s, in the winter. I looked into a space heater and pretty much everything I read said unless you're messing with black powder, it's not an issue.

That said, if it's feasible for you to move inside--and it sounds like it is--you might as well do that, I'd say. The electricity costs and added comfort, if nothing else.

I reload in the basement which is pretty well insulated and gets "chilly" - i.e., 50s, in the winter. I looked into a space heater and pretty much everything I read said unless you're messing with black powder, it's not an issue.

That said, if it's feasible for you to move inside--and it sounds like it is--you might as well do that, I'd say. The electricity costs and added comfort, if nothing else.

The more comfortable you are the more you will use it.

Bob

I reload in the basement which is pretty well insulated and gets "chilly" - i.e., 50s, in the winter.
That’s my setup too, basement and in the 50s during the winter. But that’s a perfectly fine work temperature. Put on a sweater, and by the time I’ve pulled that handle a short while I’m taking off the sweater. Summertime when it’s nearer 70, I’m getting too warm before long.

I guess it all depends on how much you shoot and how much you plan to reload, I do my reloading in the basement because in the winter I can fire up the wood stove, and in the summer during a heat wave it is nice and cool. I still only reload A few times a year, A 750xl can crank out a lot of ammo, if you shoot enough to need to constantly be reloading then you may want to think about heating. The easy solution would be just load up a bunch in October and November and pick it up again in Mach and April, I generally wont change my press over to a different caliber unless I plan to reload several thousand of that round.

I'm just getting my XL750 setup in the unheated garage but I'm already thinking about what to do when winter arrives.

The press is on a rolling tool 'bench' and it could be rolled into the house and placed in a temp location (another !!! advantage of living alone)
or I could try to sorta heat the reload area of the garage but I'm not fond of explosions :(

Maybe hang some plastic to split the garage space and just heat the reload area but what method would be most 'safe' ???
Congrats on the 750 and also for posting about winter reloading /heating your space in July...well done sir :D

Like everything else related to reloading, consistency is good, even room temp and humidity. Kudos on the new press. Treat her well and pass her on to your heirs..

Congratulations on the new press also. The only thought I have is if it is a rolling bench it will probably serve you better to find a way to secure it to floor or wall. Just my two cents, Good luck.

Thanks, the wheels lock and it's up against a wall.
I"m looking for appropriate rubber cups (they're 5" commercial wheels) or something
to spread the weight and adhesion to the floor

Thanks, the wheels lock and it's up against a wall.
I"m looking for appropriate rubber cups (they're 5" commercial wheels) or something
to spread the weight and adhesion to the floor
I have had my press on a rolling tool box/ bench for years with no issues. It always has a good amount or weight in it pushed agains a wall it should stay rock solid when In use.

i live alone also. i converted a spare bedroom into a reloading room. a buddy and myself built a bench the full length of one wall and i also have a nice little workplace table i got from work years ago. i store my powder in a cabinet i built on the ledge of the stairs going to the basement and bring in what i need for that session at the bench but primers are kept in my room all the time. in the winter, when the heat is on and i have static i use a grounding cable, that i also got from work, people who built electronics in a static free environment wear. i also have my safe in that room. nothing like being comfortable when you reload. when i feel the need to clean a gun i can do it there on the bench.

When I had a garage in Connecticut I used overhead quartz iodine heaters. They kind of look like your standard fluorescent 4' hanging light, but throw heat instead. They radiate so it's not "spot focused", and there's no open flame.

BUT - as others have said - you live alone - bring it inside.

I remember bringing a girl home to the room I had in a home that had been divided into apartments. Mattress on the floor, computer on the floor next to it and motorcycle against the other wall. The look on her face was pretty funny. In the end it didn't matter.

Regardless of time of year anytime your equipment becomes cold and is later exposed to warm, humid weather- you are going to be dealing with condensation. Just keep an eye on those conditions and it will help not only for powder exposure but also rust on equipment.

You live alone and you reload in your garage?

I move out of the garage in the winter and use either the patio room or the spare bedroom to reload. My press and powder measure are mounted on a lee reloading stand.
-mike

I use a heated room in the basement, 68F during winter and usually pretty close to that with the heat off in the summer. I also keep a dehumidifier running year round in the reloading area - usually between 35 and 40% RH. In the winter it usually stays off (hibernates) - but in summer (like now) it runs constantly and the outlet tube is like a dripping faucet into the sink. It sucks out about a gallon of water from the air every 4 hours in the summer. Because it's nice and "dry", I use a static strap between my wrist and the turret frame when reloading. Overkill probably, especially with smokeless powders, but I haven't had any static problems yet and I'd like to keep it that way. :D

If you're going to do that, run a grounding wire from the press to the table if it's metal and then to the
grounding lug on the outlet.
I thought about it. My only concern with direct coupling to ground is a cross-over fault at the service entrance could put an AC potential on the press.

I'm just trying to eliminate static charge between myself and the press - not actually "grounding" the press.

I have a star ground farm (near the service entrance) for my HF radios, but they have adequate internal protection (spark gaps & polyphasers) for potentials that might come down the ground path.

What about smokeless?
Same. I was curious about all the internet tales of powder exploding from static spark and tried igniting both powders with a bbq grill lighter, and got nothing. I have read some credible info that states that elevated levels of black powder dust can ignite from spark. But this situation would be extremly rare . The "dust" levels would be more aimed at manufacturing plants, not the recreational user.

Back
Top Bottom