• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester model 101

So I've been interested in trying some skeet shooting. I was in my local shop and I came across a winchester model 101. It appears to be a field model, however removal of the hand guard shows the barrels are labeled skeet. I really do not know much about it. It's an over under 12ga. I think it's priced we'll. I'm just looking for anyone's expertise on this. It doesn't appear to be able to accept chokes. Any insight on price or what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen them around $1000 - $1500 in excellent condition. Those barrels a great for skeet, but patterns will open up too much at trap distances. Not to say you can't shoot trap successfully with it, but it may put you at a slight handicap. I've always liked the model 101, but don't know enough about them, to say what to look for.

I'm new to this shot gun thing, I'm not sure if I want to get something limited to just skeet as I've shot neither. Seems like it's in excellent condition. I'm on the fence but it's priced we'll I may be able to resell it no problem if I prefer trap over skeet.

I'm new to this shot gun thing, I'm not sure if I want to get something limited to just skeet as I've shot neither. Seems like it's in excellent condition. I'm on the fence but it's priced we'll I may be able to resell it no problem if I prefer trap over skeet.

In that case, look for a used Remington 870 "Wingmaster". Pump action and you can change out the barrel very easily to about any configuration you want, from a slug barrel with sights, to a 32" xtra full choke! And every choke and length combination in between from home defense to bird hunting. Remove one screw an pull the barrel off.

Should be able to find a used one for around $300. Mossberg is an other one to consider. That 101 is nice, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money if you're not sure what you want it for.

However, if you have unlimited funds and love over/unders (they ARE nice), then by all means go for it.

The problem with an "older" gun without screw-in chokes, is that everyone wants screw-in chokes, these days.

Also, since you've never tried skeet, going with a dedicated gun might not be the best route. As to value, go on Gunbroker, and look up completed auctions for similar guns, to get the "real world" value.

101s have a good rep, but if you decide that Trap is more your game than Skeet, as noted above, you'll be at a disadvantage.

If you're new to the shotgun world, try a few guns, and the different games before you buy.

It's certainly a beautiful gun and it's priced at 800. Which I think is more than fair. I think I'll hold off for now for something more versatile until I find which game if any I prefer. Thanks for the input guys.

Forget the fixed choke guns, way too limiting. You may start with skeet, but you may move over to trap, 5 stand or sporting clays. All those require different chokes.

I looked at it a few weeks ago at the shop you are talking about. It is a fine firearm but far too specific for what I wanted. I spent a $100 less for what I ended up with and feel pretty comfortable that I made the right decision.

Forget the fixed choke guns, way too limiting. You may start with skeet, but you may move over to trap, 5 stand or sporting clays. All those require different chokes.

Dude!

Four different games, four different guns, plus sub gauges.

Do the math, you're going to need at least 16 shotguns to get that all done.

I think I'm half way there!

[rofl]

The basics on the Win 101 to my reckoning: They are made in Japan, by Nikko (I believe). They are very well made guns but I always thought they were heavy. But some folks like the heavier gun to help reduce the perceived recoil and some like they way they swing for a game like skeet. If you decide to take it hunting, the weight will make you want something else. If you are just shooting trap then the skeet barrels will become frustrating at times, I imagine, although you will have a built in excuse [smile]) For $800 it is a really attractive price but it is a pretty specific gun in my opinion and you might be better served to keep looking. Good luck with whatever you decide

I feel like it's a great price, I just don't know if I'd like skeet

Then you answered you won question. First, fit is all-important. If you're not a shotgunner, then knowing if it fits will be tough. A gun that fits poorly, will not hit (No fit, no hit) and will be uncomfortable.

Then, you don't know if it's the sport you'll like. Would you buy $800 skis, and boots and stuff, if you've never gone skiing before?

Get a $300 870, and put the other $500 to ammo and targets. When you get done with that, you'll know what you like, and what you need. You MAY regret not getting it, but it sounds like it's been on the shelf for a while. There's a reason for that....

Thanks for some great advice guys. I know it hasn't been there too long but you're right it's too limiting for a beginner. I need something that will at least allow me to do everything reasonably well until I decide if I have a preference then go from there. It's a beautiful gun for sure but probably not right for me at this point.

Drb, I assume stateliness may have some more options with more knowledge on the subject?

I have no problem shooting skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays with a 20 gauge O/U. Adjustable chokes are very versatile.

However, if you can afford 4 different guns, then go for it.

I have no problem shooting skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays with a 20 gauge O/U. Adjustable chokes are very versatile.

However, if you can afford 4 different guns, then go for it.

I was thinking I could use different chokes. The gun in question did not accept different chokes.

I was thinking I could use different chokes. The gun in question did not accept different chokes.

To get into the sport, you only need one gun.

Any shotgun having interchangeable chokes will work. Personally, I like O/U's, but pumps or semi-autos will also work.

I would get a 28" barrel or longer, as that seems to be the popular trend and will facilitate selling later on if you lose interest.

The 101 is a great gun. Most 101's will fit the shooter pretty well and if you're going to shoot clays they tend to keep the shooter's head up more than a standard field gun like the 870. Using standard field guns from the start can build some bad habits that are hard to break if you decide you want to continue and improve with shooting any type of clays. Trap guns shoot high to POA, sporting clay guns shoot flat or POA, and skeet guns are a mix of the two. If the barrels are at least 28" you could have them bored for choke tubes at a reputable gun smith. You could even have the present barrels re-choked if you like the gun. If the barrels are 26" like a lot of skeet guns were then the gun is pretty limited even if you decide to bore it for chokes. I have seen singles, double, and even un-single barrels for sale for 101's on the major gun auction sites which means you could possibly get another barrel to suit your preferred type. The price seems fair for the gun. My brother has a pristine Diamond grade 101 34" un-single cap gun that is incredible. He had a 101 trap that he gave to my nephew as he bought a new Beretta 682E. He is sorry that he did as he hates the Beretta and doesn't shoot it as well as his old 101. I am prejudice to O/U guns I'll admit. I've shot pumps, autos, SxS, and even old bolt actions w/poly chokes on trap/clays and always come back to the O/U. I also like to shoot with guys who shoot the same. I like seeing a shooter standing there with an open gun when they are behind me on a course. You never know with a pump or auto. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
The 101 is a great gun. Most 101's will fit the shooter pretty well and if you're going to shoot clays they tend to keep the shooter's head up more than a standard field gun like the 870. Using standard field guns from the start can build some bad habits that are hard to break if you decide you want to continue and improve with shooting any type of clays. Trap guns shoot high to POA, sporting clay guns shoot flat or POA, and skeet guns are a mix of the two. If the barrels are at least 28" you could have them bored for choke tubes at a reputable gun smith. You could even have the present barrels re-choked if you like the gun. If the barrels are 26" like a lot of skeet guns were then the gun is pretty limited even if you decide to bore it for chokes. I have seen singles, double, and even un-single barrels for sale for 101's on the major gun auction sites which means you could possibly get another barrel to suit your preferred type. The price seems fair for the gun. My brother has a pristine Diamond grade 101 34" un-single cap gun that is incredible. He had a 101 trap that he gave to my nephew as he bought a new Beretta 682E. He is sorry that he did as he hates the Beretta and doesn't shoot it as well as his old 101. I am prejudice to O/U guns I'll admit. I've shot pumps, autos, SxS, and even old bolt actions w/poly chokes on trap/clays and always come back to the O/U. I also like to shoot with guys who shoot the same. I like seeing a shooter standing there with an open gun when they are behind me on a course. You never know with a pump or auto. Just my two cents.

Great post and thank you for the input. Because I haven't decided which clay game I'd prefer I decided on a cz 912. It came basically new with 5 chokes. While it's not probably perfect for one type of game, it will allow me more versatility to try all of them.

Back
Top Bottom