Will my LTC -A/ ALP transfer to watertown?

Hello everyone,

I am currently a Mass. resident and have my Class A LTC with no restrictions. I'm looking to buy a house in Watertown. To my dismay, I see it is listed as a "red" town ; as not granting licenses without restrictions. If I move there, would I lose my right to carry concealed, or would my current license and status transfer there? We found a great house that we want to buy but I might have second thoughts if my license won't transfer. Hopefully someone has encountered this before. Thanks!

Your license cannot be altered by the town you move to, but you will most like get a restricted license upon renewal. This is assuming that Watertown PD does not contact your issuing authority and ask them to restrict it. In other words, if you want to maintain your license, your best bet is to move elsewhere.

I live in Watertown, which is way better than Boston for firearms ownership, but no, you will not get ALP here without owning a business, etc.

Last edited:
I have a friend in Watertown who would agree with most of what Vellnueve said, except that he would say "on renewal" instead of "on removal," a mistake which really has a Freudian aspect to it, doesn't it?

Cut me a break, I'm trying to memorize a good two months of material in three days and as a result my typing ability in is the shitter.

Thanks for the replys so far; although it's not what I want to hear! :) I just renewed my license so is there a chance I'll have no restrictions for the next 5 years until I have to renew again? It's amazing how in one town I'm qualified for no restrictions but as soon as I move I'm somehow unfit. I guess I'm just preaching to the choir here. I don't think my girl is going to see this as a valid reason for not buying the house either.

Hello everyone,
I am currently a Mass. resident and have my Class A LTC with no restrictions. I'm looking to buy a house in Watertown. To my dismay, I see it is listed as a "red" town ; as not granting licenses without restrictions. If I move there, would I lose my right to carry concealed, or would my current license and status transfer there? We found a great house that we want to buy but I might have second thoughts if my license won't transfer. Hopefully someone has encountered this before. Thanks!

Watertown is a pure red "downgrade on renewal" town. Avoid it at all
costs, if you want to carry a gun legally.

-Mike

Thanks for the replys so far; although it's not what I want to hear! :) I just renewed my license so is there a chance I'll have no restrictions for the next 5 years until I have to renew again? It's amazing how in one town I'm qualified for no restrictions but as soon as I move I'm somehow unfit. I guess I'm just preaching to the choir here. I don't think my girl is going to see this as a valid reason for not buying the house either.

To answer your other question, yeah, you'll still be under the old IA so your permit will stay unrestricted, as watertown cannot change it. However, that 5 years will go by fast- and next thing you know you'll have to renew- and you'll have to renew wherever you currently live- and if that is watertown, then you'll get a shit license on a renewal, unless the chief gets dumped in that time, etc... but frankly I wouldn't bet on it.

As far as the whole thing not making any sense- that's MA gun law fiefdoms for you. I'd suggest writing to your reps/senators about the issue, although inside of 128 95% of
them are anti gun moonbats... but it is worth it to make yourself heard on the issue against "discretionary licensing" which is what this problem is.

-Mike

Just how Mass lawmakers and the COP hoped you would react!

Not a good rational in the event you never need a carry. Think Watertown, Brighton, Alston and Waltham are crime free?
Not!

Good luck with your decision! Personally, I will never move or buy in another red town, ever!

I have lived there and went to look at a H&K a neighbor had for sale a while back. He moved in with an unrestricted and it was downgraded, not on renewal but on moving in. Unless Sgt. (heard he got Det. recently) Logue is asleep at the switch, you will likely not see 5 weeks of that 5 year balance with no restrictions unless you have one heck of a reason to have an ALP (in the CPDs eyes). He is a decent guy personally, but the policy is the policy there and he is fair about it (which means everyone gets screwed equally) and not likely to look the other way.

Edit: One wild card is if WPD can't get your current CLEO to downgrade you, and I have no idea how easy this will be or not given I have no idea what your now local CLEO is like. Although these guys tend to stick together.

Last edited:
Cut me a break, I'm trying to memorize a good two months of material in three days and as a result my typing ability in is the shitter.

Of course. I actually wasn't trying to bust your balls rather I was laughing about the nature of whole Remove/Renew confusion in a place like Watertown. I do apologize and I wouldn't want to make anyones life any harder.

Welcome... neighbor! [smile]

I just moved here about a month ago myself (despite all the bad JuJu and stories I've read... I got a deal I couldn't refuse).

But yeah, what others have posted about Watertown is true.

Just be certain to notify the CHSB, the CLEO in your previous community and the one you move to regarding the change of address.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/frb_change_address.pdf

It's actually a very nice town to live in, I've found so far (been here a little over a month). Gun shops in neighboring Cambridge and Waltham, not as much crime as where I was before (Brighton), with all the essentials.

But yes, if you have ALP, you will lose it sooner or later.

It is a nice town to live in... [grin] The PD has some great guys over all, but Logue is now a LT, so I'm not sure who will do licensing. I don't expect the Chief's rules to change however.

Welcome to H20Town. [smile]

We need an H20Town get-together!

I have lived there and went to look at a H&K a neighbor had for sale a while back. He moved in with an unrestricted and it was downgraded, not on renewal but on moving in. Unless Sgt. (heard he got Det. recently) Logue is asleep at the switch, you will likely not see 5 weeks of that 5 year balance with no restrictions unless you have one heck of a reason to have an ALP (in the CPDs eyes). He is a decent guy personally, but the policy is the policy there and he is fair about it (which means everyone gets screwed equally) and not likely to look the other way.

Edit: One wild card is if WPD can't get your current CLEO to downgrade you, and I have no idea how easy this will be or not given I have no idea what your now local CLEO is like. Although these guys tend to stick together.

You're telling me that Watertown actually will call the original IA and get them to downgrade you? That's f**king nuts. I knew the place was bad but didn't know it was that bad.

-Mike

I didn't think Chiefs could pull your unrestricted before a renewal. This is truly scary. Come on Hellar [sic], this shit needs to end.

You haven't been paying attention! An ISSUING chief can revoke or suspend an LTC upon a finding of "unsuitability." However, merely moving to a new locale does not, by itself, give the chief of that new locale authority over an existing license issued by another MA municipality.

The new locale does not come into play until it is time to renew there. And the Heller decision won't change that one iota.

You haven't been paying attention! And the Heller decision won't change that one iota.

That's kind of relieving. If the Hellar [sic] case rules in our favor and 2nd amendment is an individual right, wouldn't that open the door to challenges regarding the MA system? Perhaps I'm really out there on cloud 9...if so anyone care to join? [wink]

You're telling me that Watertown actually will call the original IA and get them to downgrade you? That's f**king nuts. I knew the place was bad but didn't know it was that bad.

-Mike

So I have heard first hand although it did not happen to me so your mileage may vary.

So I have heard first hand although it did not happen to me so your mileage may vary.

I'm just having difficulty believing that the original IA would go through the hassle of revoking and then re-issuing a license with restrictions, or if it is even (legally) possible, given that the person doesn't live there anymore. About the only thing I think that might fly is they could convince/con the IA into revoking the original permit, and then they could try to force you to get a new one in the new town, but that still just sounds fishy to me. I'm just having a hard time believing that another PD, especially one in a green town, would want to be involved in such a ponzi scheme... [thinking]

-Mike

It is a nice town to live in... [grin] The PD has some great guys over all, but Logue is now a LT, so I'm not sure who will do licensing. I don't expect the Chief's rules to change however.

Welcome to H20Town. [smile]

We need an H20Town get-together!

My fiance just got his restricted LTC in Watertown - Logue was the interviewing officer.

If anyone would like to discuss the interview, come chat with us at the 7/4 shoot! (oops had the wrong date)

When we marry, he will be moving OUT of Watertown as my LTC is ALP and I won't knowingly move to a red town.

Last edited:
I'm just having difficulty believing that the original IA would go through the hassle of revoking and then re-issuing a license with restrictions, or if it is even (legally) possible, given that the person doesn't live there anymore. About the only thing I think that might fly is they could convince/con the IA into revoking the original permit, and then they could try to force you to get a new one in the new town, but that still just sounds fishy to me. I'm just having a hard time believing that another PD, especially one in a green town, would want to be involved in such a ponzi scheme... [thinking]

-Mike

Mike I know that sounds far fetched, but the coppers do stick together on things and it is a helluva lot easier to do something adminstrative to a decent citizen than to go after some real bad guy. All it really takes is a phone call to "reach out" to the right person. So...while I tend to share your skepticism, I wouldn't totally rule it out.

Mark L.

this thread is a bit old, but FWIW, Det. Sgt. Daniel Unsworth is now doing the interviews. I had mine last week, after waiting about 45 days after submitting my application (yeah, MGL says they only have 40 days) and i am still waiting. he was very pleasant during the interview, but i got the impression an ALP is still a lost cause (even though i do own a business and make cash deposits...)

this thread is a bit old, but FWIW, Det. Sgt. Daniel Unsworth is now doing the interviews. I had mine last week, after waiting about 45 days after submitting my application (yeah, MGL says they only have 40 days) and i am still waiting. he was very pleasant during the interview, but i got the impression an ALP is still a lost cause (even though i do own a business and make cash deposits...)

Thanks for the info. The house I was going to buy in watertown fell through after we had the home inspection (too many problems).

Last edited:

Any relation to Steve Unsworth, who was the COP in Waltham a few years ago?

Thanks for the info. The house I was going to buy in watertown fell through after we had the home inspection (too many problems). It looks like we are going to end up in Framingham. Hopefully the transfer there will go better.

Its not 40 days from submitting application to getting the interview, its 40 days after submitting the paperwork to having your license in hand.

Well, not all LEOs in red towns are against ALPs. Sometimes, even the chief isn't. We could get the greenest chief in the world into Boston and it would still be a red town, because the chief has his own boss.

(even though i do own a business and make cash deposits...)

I just moved off of Marshall St to go to Lynnfield. I am not sure about here (blue so no-one here is apparently a neighbor...) but even I am shocked that even with cash deposits you find yourself in that position. WTF is the point of the damn license then in their minds?

Back
Top Bottom