Will H4895 fit the bill?

Here is what I want to do with it:
1. Load 30-06 garand loads with 150 and 168gr bullets. So far so good!
2. Load .308 precision loads with 168 and possibly 175gr bullets for use in a 16" barreled AR10
3. Load 75gr bthp bullets into .223 and possibly hotter loads for use in a 14.5" barreled AR for home defense.
4. Meter well in my dillon 550

I am looking for experience from those better versed in reloading than I. H4895 seems to fit the bill but being a stick powder I don't know how well it will meter in my 550. Id like to buy just one powder for the above tasks. I know the stuff works great in my garand with hand loads (47gr behind a 168gr bullet), but I just got a good deal on a used caliber conversion and would like to be able to churn out greater quantities for my garand, as well as the new AR10 build. I also want to start with these .223 "tap" clone loads.

As always input from the reloading veterans is greatly appreciated, as well as direction towards a different powder if neccessary.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I stopped using stick powder to load .223, not because it wouldn't flow through the measure but because it would not always flow into that small case mouth. I now use Winchester 748 to load all the calibers you mentioned. I'm also trying WC844.

I use pull down powder in my 55gr loads. I need a slower powder from what I am told to get the most out of the 75gr loads.

Does varget work well with 30-06 garand loads? What kind of powder is it, ball?

Mike

Mike

My 308 Remington 700's favorite load is 42gr h4895 and 175 smk it will shoot.3 moa with ease using this load.I ran a test when i first started loading with h4895 i was using Varget previously with great results. I ran the powders head to head using its each best preforming loads. I dont remember the exact numbers but I was shooting slightly larger sized groups using with the Varget under 175gr smk .

I use pull down powder in my 55gr loads. I need a slower powder from what I am told to get the most out of the 75gr loads.

Does varget work well with 30-06 garand loads? What kind of powder is it, ball?

Mike

Mike

Varget works very well in the Garand. It is not a ball powder though.

Win 748 and Rx15 are popular for .223. AA2230 and AA2520 are spherical and flow well. The latter is recommended by Accurate for heavier bullets in the .223, and it's a favorite of the M1 and M1A match shooters that I know.

I have plenty of wc844 I use for my lighter loads. I need something for the 30-06, 308, and 75gr 223. It looks like aa2520 may fit the bill, but Ill need to find some place that has it in stock and a few friends to go in on an order with me. My usual places are out of everything :(

Mike

Varget works well for me in my garand and 223 75gn match loads. its a stick powder but I have no problems with it metering in my hornady powder drop.

Varget is the go-to powder for my 30-06 and 5.56mm ammo. It is crunchy though as the rotor cuts through the sticks.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Learn to love the crunch [smile]

I'm going to be trying Varget for my nice .308 hunting ammo. I may have to give the 4895 a try and do a heads up as well.

I have used 4895 in my .308 & 7.7 Jap. They both liked it. I would advise you to get yourself a Lyman reload book. It says that 4895 can be used for .223. I have a Lee powder dispenser, but only use it for my pistol powders. It isn't consistant enough for my rifle loads. I am very fussy with them as I want accuracy so I weigh each load indivdually. Again, get youself a Lyman book.

So I have a source for powder and I am between Reloader15, Varget, and H4895. I looked into AA2520 but it seems to have a lot of temperature variation despite metering well.

Will any of these powders meter better than the other in a dillon powder measure? I do plan on churning out a lot of "rainy day" ammo for the ARs with the powder, in addition to my .308 and 30-06 needs.

Right now I'm leading towards Varget.

Mike

Everything I've seen says Varget is the most consistent across temps with high velocity.

That said I opted for RE15 because Varget is damn near impossible to find right now. I'm using the RE15 for 77gr Sierra .223 and my 180gr Barnes .308.

I use surplus 844 and 846 for my bulk m855 and m193 rainy day stashes.

So hows the varget measure through the dillon powder measure and do you guys have any problems with powder bridging and the .223 cases?

Mike

Garands like varget also.

I can't find Varget anywhere.
I use IMR4895, with a 150gr FMJ, for my 03 Springfield, and cannot be happier. I picked up a bottle of H4895 2 weeks ago to try it out. That and I cannot find IMR4895 anywhere. Haven't loaded any yet, but I was told it is very similar to IMR. I also picked up a bottle of AR-Comp for my .223 loads. Hoping to work up some loads this weekend.
Work and the family have kept me busy this past month.
And I like the crunch.

Back
Top Bottom