Will ATF contact MA licensing officer if LTC holder is PP?

mac1911

NES Member
My friend called me to ask about a transaction that took place with his hunting buddy.
So his friend goes to buy a shotgun Wednesday at Dicks. He gets denied. (After a bit of back and forth the outcome was denied not delayed) So he chalked it up as Dicks s brewed something up and went home to get ready for hunting. Later on Saturday morning he received a call from his home town police and they say his license is,being revoked and needs to come into station asap.

Will the ATF call MA if this happens? What is unclear is a mention of a dui by his friend. Yet to determine when. I can only assume sometime after his last renewal.?

I'm just don't see ATF contacting MA over state laws and regs?

I doubt he'd be bagged by the feds but he needs to get rid of his shit ASAP (guns and ammo, must go to an LTC holder or a non PP out of state, eg, NH) if he hasn't already.

FWIW feds routinely collude with the state in MA so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a call..

-Mike

Last edited:
They're catching up with getting old paper records entered into the databases and people that have had their LTC for decades are suddenly getting denied during purchases and then the LTC revoked or LTC Denied on renewal.

If he has any sort of conviction on his record, he should:
1 - Find someplace else for all his firearms to live, either with a trusted friend or a trustworthy FFL. He does NOT want the police to take them at all
2 - Find a lawyer to help him, going in unrepresented will be bad.
3 - Hope it's all a big misunderstanding and he can lose the PP status

As for the ATF contacting MA, trying to purchase a firearm while a PP is a federal offense, not a state one, but they could ask the local PD to pick up the person until they can get an agent there.

getting denied has nothing to do with MA, that is a FBI back ground check. possible they could have contacted his local pd.

They're catching up with getting old paper records entered into the databases and people that have had their LTC for decades are suddenly getting denied during purchases and then the LTC revoked or LTC Denied on renewal.

If he has any sort of conviction on his record, he should:
1 - Find someplace else for all his firearms to live, either with a trusted friend or a trustworthy FFL. He does NOT want the police to take them at all
2 - Find a lawyer to help him, going in unrepresented will be bad.
3 - Hope it's all a big misunderstanding and he can lose the PP status

As for the ATF contacting MA, trying to purchase a firearm while a PP is a federal offense, not a state one, but they could ask the local PD to pick up the person until they can get an agent there.

"Want" has nothing to do with it. Failure to turn everything over INSTANTLY is a separate felony under C. 269 S. 10!

After that, if the PD doesn't instantly send them off to a bonded warehouse, AND if they comply with MGL (some won't) if the former owner puts in writing that they are to be turned over to any LTC-holder of his choosing (assuming that it isn't a 209A issue) the PD has 10 days to comply . . . NO FFLs required. Many PDs are uncooperative, requiring FFLs, registration and any other BS they can throw at the victim.

Thanks all....details are slowly coming in.
Now he's asking about firearms lawyers...good grief. I think he is not do i.g well.

Last edited:
"Want" has nothing to do with it. Failure to turn everything over INSTANTLY is a separate felony under C. 269 S. 10!

After that, if the PD doesn't instantly send them off to a bonded warehouse, AND if they comply with MGL (some won't) if the former owner puts in writing that they are to be turned over to any LTC-holder of his choosing (assuming that it isn't a 209A issue) the PD has 10 days to comply . . . NO FFLs required. Many PDs are uncooperative, requiring FFLs, registration and any other BS they can throw at the victim.

I think you went a just a hair deep on some simple wording there. You know damn well why one wouldn't "want" the PD to take the guns (you even spelled it out - bonded warehouse, etc).

Will the ATF call MA if this happens?
Yes, they will.
What is unclear is a mention of a dui by his friend.
A recent (post-94) OUI conviction in Mass is a felony by Federal standards. Old records have also been being loaded into the system. I had one client with a 1971 charge come back and bite him, and another with a 1968 conviction that made him prohibited.

Ok so,I have not heard much of the matter. From what I understand so far is he is not to concerned with the outcome?. I will update if I hear more.

getting denied has nothing to do with MA, that is a FBI back ground check. possible they could have contacted his local pd.

But... Apparently MA has been busy encoding old paper records into a database. A person I know started getting delays, and filed an appeal for a UPIN. That was denied, based upon a record which was discovered to have been encoded incorrectly. And after walking through a records search at the court, it was determined that the records from multiple parties not only were in one file, but the fingerprints from one party were being attributed to both persons. Yeah, quite a shit show. Appeal is ongoing. I believe the database the FBI referred to in the denial of appeal was the custody of the Secret Service in Boston.

Back
Top Bottom