Wilderness Self defense Vid

Why would someone make a weapon out of a stick when they had a machete to hone / sharpen the stick?

well I would rather kill a frog with a stick than chance my knife being damaged but if my attacker is human, or aggressive animal i.e. a bear I am going to want more than a stick.

Seems like a lot of stuff for a 1 day course. Stick fighting, patrolling and medicinal plants all in one day? Not sure how much those guys will retain in the long term.

WTF?

Wilderness defense tool:

DSC01177.jpg

There are a few reasons why the stick was used rather then the edged weapon. “machete”

1.A stick is a safer training tool then a machete, you might have a hard time finding folks to train and live spar with you, and I forgot the Band Aids.
2.The angles, body mechanics, timing, rhythm, lines of attack, zero pressure, ranges and distancing are the same for either weapon, so the safer one was picked.
3.There are times when a blunt weapon is proffered, when deadly or excessive force is not necessary, or you have nothing else and a stick is better then empty hand.
4.Using your edged weapon to make your blunt weapon exercises Bush Crafting skills, gives you more hours on your blade, builds confidence when handling a sharp tool, the stick may give you a blank for your bow drill, kindling, something to pick your teeth, and guys just like to make stuff and beat the crap out of their partners, mostly best friends and brothers.…8-J

As far as what the guys will retain? The Air-born guy got an intro to stick fighting, the EMT got some stick fighting and moving a group, the martial arts guys got an intro to plants and stuff, the gun guys got some exercise and got to play with their knives. Hopefully most realized that there is more to combat then being a tough guy, or having a bad attitude, as you might find in a lot of self defense places.. It’s staying humble because there is always some badass better then you, Mother Nature always wins, and it’s better to be a team player,

and I retained some new friends, so it worked for me.

There are a few reasons why the stick was used rather then the edged weapon. “machete”

1.A stick is a safer training tool then a machete, you might have a hard time finding folks to train and live spar with you, and I forgot the Band Aids.
2.The angles, body mechanics, timing, rhythm, lines of attack, zero pressure, ranges and distancing are the same for either weapon, so the safer one was picked.
3.There are times when a blunt weapon is proffered, when deadly or excessive force is not necessary, or you have nothing else and a stick is better then empty hand.
4.Using your edged weapon to make your blunt weapon exercises Bush Crafting skills, gives you more hours on your blade, builds confidence when handling a sharp tool, the stick may give you a blank for your bow drill, kindling, something to pick your teeth, and guys just like to make stuff and beat the crap out of their partners, mostly best friends and brothers.…8-J

As far as what the guys will retain? The Air-born guy got an intro to stick fighting, the EMT got some stick fighting and moving a group, the martial arts guys got an intro to plants and stuff, the gun guys got some exercise and got to play with their knives. Hopefully most realized that there is more to combat then being a tough guy, or having a bad attitude, as you might find in a lot of self defense places.. It’s staying humble because there is always some badass better then you, Mother Nature always wins, and it’s better to be a team player,

and I retained some new friends, so it worked for me.
Well said. It takes years to become a master of anything. One long day of training might save your life if you remember just one critical thing. Or realize how badly out of shape you are and make a commitment to get better. Everyone that took this course (I did not) will be maybe a little "better" than before they took it, but I bet none of them are worse off.

When I was a young lad, I had a run in with a bully and came home bleeding. My big brother taught me how to throw a left jab and follow it up with a straight right and then how to throw a nice haymaker from the hip. It took all of an hour and served me well the next time the dude messed with me. He left bleeding and I was the school hero for putting him in his place. Simple things can go a long way. Nothing wrong with having another tool in your box for when you need it.

Last edited:
Agreed, but being only half-assed trained is not the place to stop, because only luck will make one little trick suffice "the next time". The bully could easily have lost his cool over being hit, pulled a knife and cut you to pcs, too, you know. When you hurt people, better be prepared to maim/kill if you have to, cause it's a definite possibility that such will be needed. His buddies might chime in and stomp you, use chairs, rocks, etc on you, you know?

Agreed, but being only half-assed trained is not the place to stop, because only luck will make one little trick suffice "the next time". The bully could easily have lost his cool over being hit, pulled a knife and cut you to pcs, too, you know. When you hurt people, better be prepared to maim/kill if you have to, cause it's a definite possibility that such will be needed. His buddies might chime in and stomp you, use chairs, rocks, etc on you, you know?

Man this guy is an ahole...

Back
Top Bottom