Wilderness First Aid Course by SOLO

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
A survey of my friends indicated that most of them have enough guns and ammo for 10 years, food for a month, water and cash for a few days, and completely inadequate medical supplies. Then of course we have Mormon friends who have a year of food but were not necessarily better prepared or educated about medical problems.

But I felt I was woefully under prepared when it came to medical resources. A lot of medical information is now accessed via www, so the first thing I did was to buy a comprehensive medical resource book. I got the usual Army combat-arms training which is pretty good when it comes to trauma but felt I could learn a lot more. The Wilderness First Responder course would have been ideal - but it's 8 straight days, wasn't going to happen.

There are two Wilderness First Aid courses commonly available - one from SOLO in NH and the other from Wildmed in Maine. They both offer this and other courses at a variety of locations. Wildmed also has a three day Advanced Wilderness First Aid class but wasn't offered at a convenient location for me. So I took the equally well-regarded course from SOLO on Thompson's Island. BTW SOLO and Wildmed fans are kind of like Bruins/Canadiens.

This course is also a recertification course for Wilderness First Responders. I thought that might be a bad thing, but it turns out that a lot of them had practical experience in all kinds of situations, and proved quite good when it came to assessing problems and developing solutions.

"Front country" first aid often assumes that medical professionals are accessible within the "Golden Hour." Even a lot of Army first aid practices assume the casualty will be evacuated or at least under care of a Medic in short order.

This course assumes you won't have access to medical professionals and that you will be hours away from any help at all. Obviously in two days they don't go into brain surgery, but they put out a lot of practical information.

I coach youth lacrosse, ride a motorcycle, and sail with the family, so this training should be helpful in supporting all of those activities. I'm going to build up my first aid kits now based on this training and input from the others.

I highly recommend these courses.

http://www.soloschools.com/

http://www.wildmed.com/

Last edited:
This is something we have been looking at. I took EMT-B a decade ago in Boston and it was basically keep them alive to get them to a hospital. Nothing to deal with keeping folks alive for a while. Whenever I asked about longer term care the answer was we deal with the golden hour. I tried to take a SOLO course at NEU last fall but I had a hard time getting in touch with someone to sign up for the course. I called SOLO and they told me to call the school. I tried the school and couldnt get in touch with the right person. It was a big run around. Both myself and at least one other guy are going to try again this summer.

As an aside Boston Minuteman Council of the BSA offers this course each march and the price is very reasonable. I highly recommend this course and when I get the funds I will take the wilderness first responder

SOLO's next course locally seems to be 6/18/2011 - 6/19/2011 AMC - Boston Boston, MA

Wildmed has some in Charelemont, MA.

Last edited:
Kicking this back to the top for folks. I just spoke with the folks at UNE about the March course. It is the biggest hole in my preps that I am trying to plug now. Both my wife and I are going to try to attend. I havent had much medical training since my EMT course a decade ago and I feel like I am sorely in need of an upgrade.

SO what is your plan? If you think it is feasible provide counterpoints that show that living in the woods is sustainable in a SHTF scenario.
If you don't plan on being in the woods, why take this wilderness course???

Because it is more about not having infrastructure to rely on and self help vs call 911 and expect everyone else to help. It could be beneficial in a post apocalyptic world where there is no 911 and the only doctor/medic/RN etc... around is the one you planned ahead with and made part of your group. thinking solo wilderness survival in a bug out EOTW/SHTF scenario is nothing but a flight of fancy

If you don't plan on being in the woods, why take this wilderness course???

Its not all about the SHTF. I do plan to be in the woods and spend a fair amount of time there now, just not post SHTF unless I have to. As my kids get older and we do more hiking, camping etc this is a good skill to have. When I was up moose hunting we were out a good bit from help, no cell phone etc. My buddy has a lot of medical training and I took an EMT-B course a while ago so we werent unprepared but this would definitely refresh and improve my skills.

Joe why to you post here? It seems like you post these little one or two sentence quizzes or questions and then get all bent when people counter your ideas or question anything. You turn to flip answers and talk about not wanting to self promote, making it and faking it. You want us to learn from you but seem to think that your way is the only right way. I think you like people to know how smart you think you are. We are all here to gain knowledge and try to help each other.

My apologies, my mistake.

With all the family camping I agree, go for the wilderness course, that makes a lot of sense.
With all my weaknesses I too need as much help as I can in this area.
Have a great time man
Have an awesome day …;-)
Joe

Back
Top Bottom