• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why is this only $795?

PaulR

NES Member
I thought I had to pay $6000 for a good Thermal?
Would this be any good for SHTF night time home protection?
TY

I thought I had to pay $6000 for a good Thermal?
Would this be any good for SHTF night time home protection?
TY
The "ATN X-SIGHT 5 3-15X" is not thermal, it's digital night-vision, looks like a "starlight" low-light capable sensor like in a $100 Dahua surveillance camera?

ATN sells thermal scopes under the "ThOR" product line, they have some cheapies, with less than 1 megapixel.

It cost that much because it’s f***ing junk.
Mind you I have some really expensive set ups worth more than my vehicles combined.
I still want two COTI (clip on thermal device) that piggybacks my white phosphorus set up. but I can’t afford that I already got carried away.

A friend of mine spent several hundred dollars maybe like 800 on outdated I believe it’s Russian? Night vision works great for about 45 feet if you have a full moon.

If you’re not gonna spend at least two to $3000 on real stuff, you’re buying garbage that’s useless.. even better off with a flashlight on your gun.

Buy yourself a used pvs-7 G3 or better. It’s not exactly cutting edge, but you will own the night.

It will at least pick up IR lasers.

PM me I’ll sell you one at a reasonable non-reptile price @Reptile

I know you’re more interested in the thermal but you can’t drive a vehicle while you’re wearing thermal.. and you do have to pay six grand for a good thermal. The other options work for about half the price but not really well.

Thermal is also passive and doesn't give off an IR light source which gives away your location.
I think that only would come in to play when you’re hunting people if you leave those stupid rubber things on that touch your face around your eyes no one’s gonna see the light. I ripped those things right off the coyotes don’t know.

You can with the right windshield, but since Safelite doesn't offer Chalcogenide glass, next best option is no windshield at all (e.g. Jeep).
That’s complete nonsense. I just close my right eye while I’m driving and I wanna exit the vehicle then I see everything. I’ve been doing this for like 20 years.

Mid level ATN thermals are decent for varmints. I have one on a suppressed 22 PCP pellet rifle and can pick off chipmunks and mice at 35 yards. I'll try to take video sometime but mine will pick up targets with decent resolution and the refresh rate is good enough to actually see the pellet trace through the air. Even the impacts on a paper target are visible for a few seconds at ~40 yards. 5X & 10X magnification. Of course if I had to set up my own rig for deployment I would not use it, but for everything else I don't see a need to spend more.

If you are going to buy the stuff you’re looking at, do you want to buy the old model on clearance? It’s still new and has a warranty and it’s like half the price of the current version that’s out there I haven’t looked at them in a while but my brother did buy these thermal binoculars. That were pretty cool, I prefer my head mount/rifle mount stuff but for spotting the binoculars were pretty good. I think they were like $3800 though.

You can with the right windshield, but since Safelite doesn't offer Chalcogenide glass, next best option is no windshield at all (e.g. Jeep).
That’s why I usually do is windshield down side, windows open. But don’t go on long excursions. Anymore As you know you can’t shoot from vehicle.

Night vision is done driving though. But thermal is great for spotting.

That’s why I usually do is windshield down side, windows open. But don’t go on long excursions. Anymore As you know you can’t shoot from vehicle.

Night vision is done driving though. But thermal is great for spotting.
Second one up for auction recently.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_PRtNXKpuc&t=18s

Second one up for auction recently.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_PRtNXKpuc&t=18s

Definitely a cool truck.
For what I use stuff like that, for it would be all smashed up.

So so at $10,000 a pop I could buy 12 vehicles and not worry about smashing any of them

Back
Top Bottom