Who needs lead?

The cost of removing it from the mooring, trailering it somewhere to be dismantled has to be factored in.

I have no idea what those costs are but if they were cheap enough and the boat was free it would be worth it.

If the boat is going to cost ( as in sold not given away) then it might not be worth the effort.

Looks like he can get it to the boat ramp for you then you have to haul it away.
Price is $1 so maybe he just wants it gone.
Even if it cost $500 to haul the thing that would be a damn fair price for lead.
Get a chainsaw and start hacking up the keel

just haul it to the nearest ghetto...cut out the keel and leave the rest for some scenery for the inhabitants. they leave their mattresses on the side of the road, i think we can give back a sailboat or two to show our appreciation.

Could be anything. Whatever they got cheap at the time.
best bet is to melt it in big batches and have the scrap yard check the alloy for you on each batch.

I will never buy or take a boat for the keel again.
Its just not worth the effort.
unless the drop ship ONLY the keel to my yard .

try getting rid of the boat hull.
scrap for keel lead will be low.

most scrap yards dont give to shits about alloy content when buying your scrap. If theres a hint of any other fill in that keel you will get even less$

I have a son-in-law that works at a boatyard. Cutting up a lead keel is a pretty daunting task.
My budy came over with a a wormdrive circular saw and a carbide tip blade. Made short order of cutting the keel....he laughed at me when I asked to him to help with the boat hull.

my last trip to the scrapper pure clean soft lead was .47 cents ton . .18 cents ton wheel weights and not clean lead...... Under a ton was 25% less.

the 3 scrap yards near me are very picky on "clean" metals.

For the time and effort i would rather just buy 1000lbs of processed known alloy lead.

for those with more time than money it might be "worth" it.

Back
Top Bottom