• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who are you contacting and how?

The Ruger site is awesome. Forward it to everyone you know, even if they are not activists, because it could not be easier. The site quickly prepares a letter from you to the President, the Vice-President, the Governor, the Lieutenant Governor, Senators Kerry and Murray, the Mass. Attorney General, and your Mass. state Representative and Senator.

http://ruger.com/micros/advocacy/

Regrettably, many/most legislators give very little credence to Email unless they personally know the sender. They give even less credence to canned messages like the Ruger link. Phone or SnailMail gets much more attention. This was told to me by some legislator some time ago (don't recall who).

That said, I already sent the Ruger message a day or two ago.

I read the exact wording from the Devil's own website (making me sick to my stomach) and tomorrow I will paste it together with the current law (redline/underline) so I can see what is there today vs. what he wants. I will then compose a letter that will be sent to my legislators and all the members of the Public Safety Committee, with an executive summary (don't do it) and a detailed analysis of reasons why specific sections are a very bad idea and won't do anything to prevent the next 100 mass murders.

When I'm done with that effort, I'll dissect Linsky's proposal the same way and do the same thing.

ETA: After that I'll tackle the Big 0's proposal the same way . . . but I know that it will fall on deaf ears with the MA delegation in Congress!

I will also send courtesy copies of the letters to a few friends that we have in the legislature, who although they don't represent me, I know support us . . . with the hope that it gives them some ammunition to fight the battle internally.

Last edited:
Contacted my state rep and senator by phone and e mail this morning. Won't bother contacting Kerry or Warren as it's just a waste of electrons.

what they said. By email. then phone. then phone again if you don't hear from them. Next week I am writing a handwritten letter to each. Okay, maybe I will type it. But I will actually sign it.

Thanks, Len! I will be at the rally. I sent my e-mails. Unfortunately, in my district it all falls on deaf ears.

I won't be at this rally. Two of the three of us scheduled as ROs at BR&P are going to the rally, so I'm holding down the fort so that the ranges won't be closed all day. I'm also of the belief that going to the State House when nobody is working there isn't the best use of our energies. Last time (1999) we went inside after the rally and I met with my Senator and Rep as did many other attendees, that was after 2-300 of us marched to the Governor's office and demanded an audience. He agreed to let a GOAL rep in to talk with him while the rest of us waited just outside his door . . . Capital Police were very nervous (they actually had a SWAT team staged around the corner of the State House when we had the rally)!

I saw that GOAL is planning a rally at the State House on a weekday and as above, I think it more productive, at least we can meet with our Senator/Rep or their aid the same day.

At any rate, I created 3 docs tonight, including cutting and pasting those sections that are proposed by the Devil for "modification", ran to 23 pages! In the AM I'll create another doc with the changes made redline/underline to see what the differences are so I can write a rebuttal to this garbage.

Thanks LenS.

At the very least, if we have a good turnout Saturday, there will be media coverage and that will be a good thing provided nothing stupid happens. It will be a dry run for future demonstrations.

I won't be at this rally. Two of the three of us scheduled as ROs at BR&P are going to the rally, so I'm holding down the fort so that the ranges won't be closed all day. I'm also of the belief that going to the State House when nobody is working there isn't the best use of our energies. Last time (1999) we went inside after the rally and I met with my Senator and Rep as did many other attendees, that was after 2-300 of us marched to the Governor's office and demanded an audience. He agreed to let a GOAL rep in to talk with him while the rest of us waited just outside his door . . . Capital Police were very nervous (they actually had a SWAT team staged around the corner of the State House when we had the rally)!

I saw that GOAL is planning a rally at the State House on a weekday and as above, I think it more productive, at least we can meet with our Senator/Rep or their aid the same day.

At any rate, I created 3 docs tonight, including cutting and pasting those sections that are proposed by the Devil for "modification", ran to 23 pages! In the AM I'll create another doc with the changes made redline/underline to see what the differences are so I can write a rebuttal to this garbage.

I have a question. We have two offices in MA and live in Boston. Today I sent an email to my legislators as well as those in the towns where we have offices voicing opposition to "An Act To Strengthen and Enhance Firearms Laws in the Commonwealth" filed by Governor Patrick.

Should I also send copies via US Mail?

Should I also call them?

Not sure what the most effective mechanism is to register my views.

The Ruger site is awesome. Forward it to everyone you know, even if they are not activists, because it could not be easier. The site quickly prepares a letter from you to the President, the Vice-President, the Governor, the Lieutenant Governor, Senators Kerry and Murray, the Mass. Attorney General, and your Mass. state Representative and Senator.

http://ruger.com/micros/advocacy/

If you have time you can grab the phone book, and pick and choose!

Thanks LenS.

At the very least, if we have a good turnout Saturday, there will be media coverage and that will be a good thing provided nothing stupid happens. It will be a dry run for future demonstrations.

Perhaps one in Linsky's driveway?

This is what Organizing for Action is up to today, I looked on Comrade McGovern's twitter page (he's my Rep., but I'm sure it's a national campaign) and he's getting bombarded with these tweets -

".@RepMcGovern I'm 1 of the 92 percent of Americans who support universal background checks. #WeDemandAVote"

They're not being censored, so if anyone wants to edit for pro2A content or anything else have at it...

"Friend --

If Congress passes legislation requiring universal background checks -- which are supported by 92 percent of Americans and even 74 percent of NRA members -- it will be an important step toward keeping our kids and communities safer from gun violence.

But it won't happen unless we demand it.

Will you tweet at your representative, Jim McGovern, and demand a vote on universal background checks?

With just a couple clicks, you and many other constituents will create a drumbeat that can't be ignored.

Not on Twitter, or want another way to step up? Call your representative and let them know where you stand -- and why:

Representative Jim McGovern
(202) 225-6101

Let us know how the call went by reporting back here.

The victims of Newtown, Aurora, Oak Creek, Tucson, Virginia Tech, and every other devastating act of gun violence in the United States deserve a vote in Congress.

And they need us to fight for it.

Thanks for everything you're doing -- and keep at it."

Back
Top Bottom