Which reloading Bullets do you prefer?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'm looking to pick up some bullets for reloading 357 and there are a LOT of options out there. Out of the following manufacturers below, which one do you prefer to reload with?

Remington
Hornady
Sierra
Speer
Barnes
Magnus
Nosler

Is there any others that I might be missing that is better?

Thanks for the information

Jacketed bullets have gotten a bit pricey. I like a hard-cast TC stye cast bullet for target and plinking. The 180gr works well in a full sized gun and shoots well for me to 50 yards and beyond. Cast bullets as light as 125 grs, over 3grs powder are great 25 yard plinkers and there is very little recoil or muzzle blast. It is a good load to introduce new shooters to the sport.

Jack

As I do it more for cost savings then extreme accuracy and as such I just go with what is the cheapest and not garbage.

Thanks for the information. I'd love to go with cheaper bullets, but I'll mostly be shooting these out of Desert Eagle and it prefers the 158gr bullets and it needs to have a good umph in order to cycle properly. Plus they recommend jacketed, which limits what I can reload.

You might try the poly-coated bullets from Precision (as the other 2 makers I've used are now gone). Near-jacketed cleanliness at mere cast lead prices.

Do you know if these can be used in a Glock barrel? Thanks.

I have zero reason to think they can't be. I shot a 23 for several years, using the plain-Jane, hard-cast 175 grain LSWC with that crappy Crayola-wax lube (most of which had flaked off by the time I got to the last 150 bullets in the carton). I'd put a couple of jacketed rounds through the gun after the end of a match (120 - 135 rounds) and, of course, cleaned the gun regularly. No "Ka-Booms" or other crises.

I can't see the poly-coated bullets being a problem.

I have zero reason to think they can't be. I shot a 23 for several years, using the plain-Jane, hard-cast 175 grain LSWC with that crappy Crayola-wax lube (most of which had flaked off by the time I got to the last 150 bullets in the carton). I'd put a couple of jacketed rounds through the gun after the end of a match (120 - 135 rounds) and, of course, cleaned the gun regularly. No "Ka-Booms" or other crises.

I can't see the poly-coated bullets being a problem.

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the website and love the price!

You might try the poly-coated bullets from Precision (as the other 2 makers I've used are now gone). Near-jacketed cleanliness at mere cast lead prices.

Pretty hard to do as they do not currently offer bullets for a .357" or .358" bore.

They only offer 9 mm bullets which are undersized for 357 Magnum bores.

Pretty hard to do as they do not currently offer bullets for a .357" or .358" bore.

They only offer 9 mm bullets which are undersized for 357 Magnum bores.

Yes, that could be an issue. I only get .40 and .45 lead bullets and the other 2 sources I used for poly bullets DID make them in .357.

I'll second a vote for LaserCast if you must shoot lead. Otherwise, I'd go for Montana Gold.

I wouldn't mind using lead bullets, but these will be shot out of a Desert Eagle and the manual has a big read warning saying to not shoot unjacketed ammunition as it can plug up the gas system.

I wouldn't mind using lead bullets, but these will be shot out of a Desert Eagle and the manual has a big read warning saying to not shoot unjacketed ammunition as it can plug up the gas system.

I wouldn't shoot non-jacketed bullets out of a gas system gun, either. The polys would probably run fine, but why risk it. [wink]

I thought we couldn`t order any reloading components through the mail in Mass. anymore?

You can order them from suppliers who are willing to ship here. As for where to get them. I wouldn't count on anyone telling you unless they personally know you. There have been situations in the past where the AG's office has shut down those vendors from selling to MA residents, and I would doubt unless someone knows you personally they will give up their source.

On another note, we do NOT allow vendors names who will ship here to be posted. So if you find one, you should keep it to yourself, and only share it with people you know and trust.

Adam have you had any experience with Copper Coated bullets?
I saw some at a show once that were fairly priced cheap but never used them.

I have had a lot of success using Rainier copper plated bullets in .40 S&W. Since they are copper plated they reduce lead exposure, a plus when handloading. They are certainly cheaper than jacketed bullets and just as accurate.

I generally don't find plated bullets to be accurate. They certainly are cleaner than lead though, and accurate enough for plinking ammo.

Back
Top Bottom