Which grain bullet(s) for .308…30-06…7.5x55

Trying to stock up a little before the election and I haven't exactly started reloading for any of these 3 calibers yet, but it's all in the works. I know every rifle is different...but is there any particular grain that works good for all 3? I will namely be reloading for my .308 700 with a 20"bbl...a m&p10 with an 18" barrel length...my m1 garands...1903 Springfield...k31…and k11 carbine.

So far I'm considering nosler custom competitions in 155…168…and 175

I know the barrel length and thus the distance I am shooting will determine the level of velocity I require from any rifle...but I'm just wondering what your experiences are for .30cal grain differences.

I use the Nosler 168s for 7.5 and 30-06. Very accurate bullets. But mac1911 has used the 155s with great results too. If I was in your shoes right now, I would buy the 155s as there is one vendor who has them for $17.8 cents per bullet shipped. I think I paid around 22 cents for the 168s when they were on sale from Wideners (before they changed ownership and no longer ship to MA...)

I'd go with whatever is cheapest and still very accurate which would be the 155s.

Wondering with the shorter BBL's on the AR and the 700 if I should pick up a few of the 175's for better stabilization at long range? Does this make sense? I'm looking to eventually work up a load or two to reach out to 1k meters at that new range in western mass...eventually.

I use Nosler 155's exclusively in my 30-06 mill surps, usually over some 4064. Keep it simple.

I use Sierra 175 MKs in my 308 with BLC-2. I just picked up 500 175 TMKs and loaded up a few batches but haven't fired them yet. I don't load the other two calibers listed.

You'll likely have to sample all varieties to see which performs best in each rifle.
Any of the weights mentioned should get you close.
As for me, I'm all over the place...18gr plastic riot bullets, sabots with .22 caliber bullets, 130gr LRN up to 200gr coated GCSPs.

I haven't found any of these to be lacking, but I'm only shooting 100-meters.

holy mackerel, you ARE all over the road...pretty neat variety of projectiles though! i'd like to take all my rifles out past 500...and the M&P and the 700 should be able to do 1000 without an issue with the correct round.

You'll likely have to sample all varieties to see which performs best in each rifle.
Any of the weights mentioned should get you close.
As for me, I'm all over the place...18gr plastic riot bullets, sabots with .22 caliber bullets, 130gr LRN up to 200gr coated GCSPs.

I haven't found any of these to be lacking, but I'm only shooting 100-meters.

What twist do you have on they AR and Rem?

Dean

it's 1 in 10 for the M&P and 1 in 11.25 for the 700...both have 5R rifling.

I just ordered 1K 155's and 1k 168's...I figure I have enough milsurp rifles to test out all the possibilities in, i'm bound to use them all eventually.

I also ordered 250 - 175gr to try to work up a 1000yd load for the 700.

Well, anybody that thinks the 308 is a good 1000 yard round needs to do a lot of research. Because it really isn't good much past 800 yards. Yes, compromises can be made that will let it work to 1000 or past, but, it isn't a real good choice, either. One workaround is the 175 grain Match King bullet. Berger makes some good choices too.

Before anybody thinks I'm down on the 308, you might want to think again. It's a tool, and there are better tools for distance than the 308. Some of those tools aren't the best choice for considerably closer distances. There is no size that fits all, in fact, when you make that compromise, you usually end up with something that fits nobody. Got it?

Now, to really answer this question, you have to ask a few questions first.

What is your intended use?

How far are you looking to shoot?

What's available?

How much are you willing to spend?

Some choices up front, and their limitations.

For punching paper (or bad guys) within 600 yards, most anything will work. The 168 grain Match King is a poor choice past 600 or so (it was designed for use at 400 anyways, which it does well). There's a very few that seem to stay stabilized to 1000 and beyond. The 175 Sierra and one of the 155 Sierra bullets are 2 of them.

For hunting, you want good terminal performance. You want something that expands.

If you want more info, either contact me, post here or read into Bryan Litz. A lot of what he says works and makes sense. He's also BTDT.

for the milsurps so far any decent 150-168 has done well by me...so I go with the cheapest at the time I need to stock up. I was shooting the Hornady bulk 150gn FMJ the most at the time they where the best for the money in the M1s but a now the 150 FMJ's are only pennies cheaper than the nosler 155s. The noser 155 blems are a great deal and I have yet to find any Blem that was with in 1 grain of weight(hard pressed to find a few at .5 grains) the jackets look good and the only thing I have seen is odd color on the jackets...but really for a rifle that's 70 years old and 4moa is good enough for GI your not going to see a huge difference...now in my 1903a4 clone hornady has to take a back seat to the Nolsers with a good 1 MOA+ difference between the 2 two.

I save my 168s for the 1903A4 it just really likes them.....I have not tips for past 200 yards I have yet to get any of my surplus rifles to 600 yards. I hope one day to bring the 03a4 to reading at 600...maybe next year for the prone match?
I have tried Sierra and Bergers but really for the 5-15 cents more per bullet there is no gain in my surplus rifles.
I only know one person who I Know has taken there rifle to 1000 yards and that's a old timer who shoots silhouette. He has taken his M1a ultra national match rifle out to 1000 yards. His claim on a good day was 2-3 MOA. I know he used to have a palma style rifle and was trying to sell it at one point... wanted 3k for it? He still shoots the 1000 yard buffalo in silhouette out at Quigley and PA black powdah

Last edited:
I've found the Nosler 168's very agreeable in both 7.5x55 and .308. Both shoot better than I do. I assume they'd be just as good in .3006.

Naval Officer - you win this thread. Sabots in a K31, never would have crossed my mind

+1 on the 168gr BTHP. can't really go wrong especially if your .308 is a 1:10 twist

155-168 nosler or sierra are very good bullets.... depends on what you really want to do and what you are shooting them out of also.

On the milsurps ( almost any rifle really with iron sights) Im a 3moa shooter on a good day slow prone with sling or support. some days better...I can creep down to around 2 moa with the AR IF i practice more.

I think for the most part in your average rifle you cant go wrong with any of the "match" bullets offered by hornady,nosler and sierra will do well and may even improve a poor shooting rifle a bit

Last edited:
If ever you want to shoot long distances 600 to 1000yds plus with a 30cal without resorting to a magnum, I have a 30-06 with a Serengeti chamber it is lights out accurate. And That extra 15gr of powder also comes in real handy and makes a big difference, it is sorta like a 30-06 version of a 308 palma.

Dean

You should be GTG with the 168's and the 175's. Everyday use I recommend the 168's.

Given the hardware you have, you really need to carpool with me to a Pembroke CMP match. [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom