Which Club should I try out/join?

I could use some guidance... I am looking for a club to join, but have NO idea which one will suit me the best, so I turn to NES for some guidance:)

For starters, I live in Chelmsford MA, near Lowel... Here's what I have... A couple of handguns (.40 & .45), 2 Marlin 60's (for my 10 & 12 y/o daughters), 2 Mosin's, and a 12 ga pump. More are on the list, but that's what I have ATM.

I have shot Sporting Clays exactly once, had a blast. Never shot skeet or trap. I'd like to try, just haven't yet. My daughters are getting decent with the .22's, we are going to the June Appleseed at Harvard.

I shoot at Manchester FL at least once a month, so do the girls. I'd like a range with at least 100 yards, 200 would be nice so I can improve, doubt I will want to trek more than that to change targets. I have heard some clubs have stocked ponds. I'm not much (at all!) of a fisherman, so that's no big deal. A rifle team (kids) would be nice. Some kind of competetive (not very!) pistol club for me. One daughter has expressed an interest in trying archery, I used to be into it when I was decades younger... 24 hour pistol access would be AWESOME, since I work odd hours...

Don't care if there's a "lounge", wouldn't drink more than a coke when carrying/shooting anyway... All things being equal, I would probably join the club withOUT booze...

So, suggestions? Thoughts? Other considerations I missed?

And is it possible to go and actually SHOOT at clubs w/o being a member? Once, just to try it out and see what the members are like?

Thanks in advance for all the great advice!!!

It's tough to find one club that meets all your needs. Some come pretty close, others have strong points in one thing or another. I'm a member at Westford Sportmen's Club and Harvard Sportsmen's Club. WSC strengths are trap, sporting clays, active archery program, stocked trout pond, and traditional "bullseye" indoor range. HSC has awesome action shooting pits, 200/300 yard rifle, and non-traditional indoor range.

WSC is holding an open house May 14th 1-4PM. It's a great family event and a way to see the facilities at the club.

HSC holds regular IDPA and USPSA practices/matches that are open to the public. If you show up to one of those you can check out the club and find a sponsor.

I am a member at HHRG.org in Haverhill
Let me know if you want to check out the grounds :)

I don't live in that area, but I have shot at both Westford and Harvard as a guest (or NES event) and they both appear to be very fine clubs for those of you that live in that area.

There are many members of these clubs (all mentioned and then some) who I'm sure will be more than happy to bring you to their club as a guest so that you can see/shoot for yourself. I know that I've done that a number of times for those looking at Braintree R&P or Mansfield F&G.

Just ask!

Heres my advice on which clubs to look at. I have belonged to 3 clubs in the 3 years Ive had my LTC, all were ok but didnt have "everything" im looking for..... Every time it time to renew I tell myself "Just join Harvard" But, every time I look at the up front cost of membership for the 1st year at Havard, I get cheap and join somewhere else.

So, my advice? Just Join Harvard and get it over with. I have waisted yet another year not being a member there, and Im kicking myself already

I also live in Chelmsford, belong to Woburn Sportsman's Association in Bedford. No fish pond & no bar. It has all of the things that you stated that you are looking for as do allot of the other clubs. Have shot at both Westford & Harvard both great clubs. If you want to check out Woburn let me know. I'm will give you the tour.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom