Which Brass???

Hi , I am thinking about getting into reloading. I have already have a couple of the necessary tools that are needed, press (only a single stage but it will be good to earn on ) Dies , etc. I am going to wait to purchase the other things until I have done a ton of research , and possible a class so I dont waste money on something I dont need. My main focus will be the .223 caliber ,so in the mean time while I am doing some research for a while I would like to know which once fired brass I should be accumulating and which brass is not that great for reloading. I mainly shoot Remington UMC green box from Walmart , it is cheap to shoot but are the casings good for reloading or should I be targeting some better ammo with better brass? If anybody knows a good reloading class to take please let me know , I also noticed a book someone had recommended in another thread I will probably be checking out. Thanks for any info.

I recommend getting a Lee manual, and read it cover to cover about twice. Then slowly start adding manuals.
Save all your brass.
Federal brass gets soft real quick.
Even crappy brass is worth keeping. You can bring it to the scrap yard and get a few dollars or trade it for wheelweights you can melt down for your cast bullets (believe me, should you get the bug, you'll be loading and casting and going to the range just to make empty brass to load back up in no time).
IMO, LC and Winchester are the best affordable brass for rifles with Remington coming in a close "second". Starline for handguns.
Take it slow.
Ask questions.
Search the reloading forums.
Have fun!
Robert

The only .223/5.56 brass I've had any issues with is Federal (FC), they're the only ones that really strech and the primer pockets get loose however, they're good for 3 loads. Take into consideration that most brass in this caliber has crimped primer pockets, so you will need a swage tool, I highly reccomend the Dillon super swage tool. Everything else I tried ruined more brass than it was worth. If you want to buy once fired brass, I would try XXXXXXXX he sells processed brass at a reasonable cost, and sometimes has deals on brass bullet packages. Like everyone else said, you can't read enough books. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
I might suggest starting with some handgun rounds first? Much easier for a starting point IMO.

Briguy, I don't know which book was recommended elsewhere but I recommend to all I teach reloading to get a copy of the ABC"s of Reloading. The current edition is good, if you can located an older edition by Dean Grennel I suggest you buy that too (can usually be located cheap on evil-bay) Dean's style of writing makes digesting all the info he gives you pretty easy, he had a very light way of writing with anecdotes thrown in here and there.

Back
Top Bottom