where to get those little cardboard boxes for storing ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunGrey

Banned
Dont say midwayusa **** them and also i dont have old empty boxes sitting around. I will probably just keep them now.

But I just got paid and now am going on a little reloading spending spree, [smile] and am ready to bang out some reloads

I myself prefer the hard plastic MTM cases.
Rileys in Hooksett NH has them in stock for all calibers, in sizes of 20, 50 and 100 round.

cat-ammo-boxes.jpg

Trash can at the range.
Seriously, I have some of the plastic ones and some old cardboard ones, but mostly I use small plastic bulk containers instead of trying to fit each round into its own little hole.

topbrass wont ship to mass so they to should get a pass ?
when they are are on sale midway is tough to beat for boxes and inserts.
Ok so you bought their china crap cheap bag.....where you expecting something more....
Try dilon reloading they have deals on bulk orders sometimes. also Plano makes them also.

ps looking for a good bag. I got one of these for a gift http://www.bagmaster.com/ I have the smaller 1 pistol and a few mags bag. Its pretty dang good.

Last edited:
I gave up on boxes a long time ago, with the exception of expensive rifle reloads. I use one quart plastic freezer bags. These bags keep the ammo protected from the elements and make excellent brass bags after you empty them. Just fill them up and add a tag with the specs.

PS Do not try this with sandwich bags as they can't take the weight when filled with ammo. They do, however, make great storage for a small amount of ammo for the chrono. I use them for smal lots of ammo destined for the chrono.

Berry's makes the plastic boxes and have them available in bulk at prices that almost beat midway...except for when midway has them on sale. If you need a variety of sizes they can be had in odd box lots on ebay though not always cheap...oh and people sell the cardboard boxes with inserts there too...used ones that is.

There are some nice tupperare type boxes with greenish handles that lock the lid down tight for cheap money at wallyworld and target. You can get sizes that'll bulk pack a hundred rounds up to a thousand rounds or more. They are clear so you can get a good look at the contents ALL THE TIME.

Midsouth shooters has plastic ammo cans for cheap money.

Sarge's drop zone has the 223 cardboards in bulk as well as stripper clips in bulk.

Question. How do these alternative storage methods satisfy the part of the MA ammo storage law that says that ammo must be stored in it's "original container" ? Because of that clause, I've saved all my empty factory boxes to put the reloaded ammo back into, and picked up a few more boxes from the trash can at the range for brass I've scrounged. I'd much rather use hard plastic containers and bulk pack the reloads, but not sure how to get past that stupid "original container" clause. [thinking]

Question. How do these alternative storage methods satisfy the part of the MA ammo storage law that says that ammo must be stored in it's "original container" ? Because of that clause, I've saved all my empty factory boxes to put the reloaded ammo back into, and picked up a few more boxes from the trash can at the range for brass I've scrounged. I'd much rather use hard plastic containers and bulk pack the reloads, but not sure how to get past that stupid "original container" clause. [thinking]

That's a good question, I don't know the exact language of the statute, but as strict an interpretation as you're suggesting would also prohibit storing loaded magazines, or even a loose round in your range bag.
What about reloaders ? Even if you reuse a factory box, the ammo inside is not the same ammo original to that box.
I would hope the definition would encompass containers designed and intended for storage and transport of ammunition.
But this is Mass, where logic has no purpose, so we're probably all in violation of this law in one way or the other. [rolleyes]

This law opens a real can of worms as ammunition is sold in virtually all forms of storage from cardboard and plastic boxes storing each round in its own little chamber to larger containers holding loose rounds. How can you tell what the "original container" was? To further muddy the waters, reloaded ammo doesn't have an "original container".

I think the best solution would be to use either surplus ammo cans or after market copies in plastic or polymer. Use cardboard or plastic boxes (plastic bags for me) but place them in the ammo cans. Given the vagueness of the law, I think storage in a sturdy container which can easily be ID'd as an ammo can should keep the authorites satisfied.

...How do these alternative storage methods satisfy the part of the MA ammo storage law that says that ammo must be stored in it's "original container"?...

Not to be pedantic, but it's not a law, it's a fire regulation

As such, it's enforced by the Fire Dept., not the Police.

IMO, providing that (per the regulation) it's ultimately stored in a "...locked cabinet, closet or box...", I wouldn't be that concerned about the "...original container..." provision.

IANAL, YMMV etc.

Last edited:
picked up a few more boxes from the trash can at the range

This. I'm not even reloading yet, and I have a small stockpile of boxes and plastic separators that come in them. Still need to grab some for a 30-06 in the future for my Savage though... Why buy a box for it when I can get them for free from people who just throw them away? Besides, all my ammo goes into an ammo can for travel regardless.

And I've been wondering what to do with the case of .223 boxes I've been kicking around! I usually put the ammo into plastic boxes when going to a rifle match but when I was shooting a lot with my son, it was taking up way too much space. I can remember sending him off to Perry with close to 1000 rounds and that was when I decided that as nice as the plastic boxes are, they take up way too much room. I put the ammo in zip lock bags now if there's a lot of it and I bring a few plastic boxes to load at the range. Does this mean that when I shoot Westfield or Redding I am breaking the law? Man, I just started putting a lock on the rifle when traveling out of state!

It's not above me to see what's on the top of the trash bin at the club. Like last week I needed 9mm boxes cause I have a bunch bulk packed. I swear I have OCD. [laugh] They all have to be packed 50 to a box and a bonus is all the same Federal boxes if I can find them. Then I line them up on the shelf.... .22's, 9mm's, 38/357's, .40's, .45's....just like a box store.

Whatever container you decide to put your reloaded ammo into would then become that ammo's original container.

Cardboard? just collect the ones you use for ammo and put labels on them.

Otherwise buy the plastic ones.

-Mike

I got mine from the trash diving at the range when I first started reloading. Later I moved to some nice MTM plastic ones.

I have a combonation of MTM,Midway,Berry's and the ultimate storage container 3 lb coffee cans for sized,unprimed brass. Cardboard packaging has a very limited life span and it's even less when it gets rained on. I ran over an MTM case,sent it back and got a new one in return.

OK I won't but that's where I get mine. Not sure why people have a beef with them, I think it's NES groupthink more than anything.

I'm with you Jason.
I have been buying from midway for many years, always pleased with them. In fact I think that they and Brownell's are the two top suppliers in the firearm industry. The fact that they both give dealer pricing to C&R holders is also a plus.

trash can at the range.....
walmart*

*the walmart ones sometimes come full of ammo already, which i have to empty by shooting so i can fill 'em with my reloads....

Another vote for trash can diving at the range (I empty the trash can into the dumpster so no one knows what I am doing)....or I use the quart freezer bags.

trash can at the range.....
walmart*

*the walmart ones sometimes come full of ammo already, which i have to empty by shooting so i can fill 'em with my reloads....

Oh wow, that sounds like a pita! If you need help emptying the full boxes, let me know, always happy to help those in need.:cool:

This law opens a real can of worms

Being that its a regulation that is virtually never enforced, there is no can of worms to be had, really. If your house catches on fire the last thing that is going to be an issue is "whether or not the ammo was in an original container or not".

-Mike

Gammon said:
To further muddy the waters, reloaded ammo doesn't have an "original container".

Eh, whatever i don't shoot.... At the end of the day i pull the bullets, put them back in their plastic baggie, then pour the powder back into the keg..... The primers are a bitch to get out without destroying them, but i worked out a system using some egg crate foam and an air compressor.....

OK I won't but that's where I get mine. Not sure why people have a beef with them, I think it's NES groupthink more than anything.

when they go on sale its hard to find them cheaper than midway. unless you want to buy thousands of boxes and foam inserts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom