• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where to buy lead? What should it cost? What about quality?

I'm considering casting bullets. I never have done so before. I was just wondering, though, where to buy lead? Are there local purveyors? Buddies of mine scrounge range lead, but I'd prefer to avoid that, as there's something of a competition for it and I don't need the anxiety, and I'm also concerned with the health issues associated with that end of the range.

If I find lead, what should I pay? What's a good price?

Finally, how do I know what I'm getting? Should I buy known products from reputable dealers and mix my own alloys? Or should I buy from guys who sell range lead that's cast into ingots and not worry about it?

Thanks very much,

M

If you can find a source for used wheel weights, and be sure to sort out any non-lead ones, they are an excellent source. As far as the lead exposure, casting is done at a little over 700 degrees. Lead needs to be heated to more than 1,000 degrees to become an airborne hazard. I cast indoors with no ventilation. I have my lead levels checked yearly, and it's always just barely detectable. I handle lots and lots if lead. Just don't eat, drink or smoke whole casting.

I buy wheel weights at a tire shop about 45 minutes from home.

Seems all of the big stores deal with a recycler or already have a guy buying them for fishing weights.

Looks for the smaller shops that are far from a scrap yard.

Worst case you need to buy some on cast boolits forum. I see it around $1/# which isn't bad if you consider you get 35 - 200 grain boolits out of a pound. 2.8 cents for the cost of the lead and figure a tiny bit for lube. Round up to 3 cents a boolit not bad in my book. That's worst case too.

Just imagine next time you bullets you don't need to find an online supplier or get screwed at a local shop, if they even have what you're looking for.

I pay $20 for a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights. All sorted and smelted I end up with about 100# of lead. Figure another $2 in propane, and $2 in bullet lube.

That's about 7 tenths of a cent per bullet. Not counting electricity or time.

Start casting already!

Most gun stores that sell black powder rifles, sell casting-lead ingots.

Example: I just picked up some on Saturday at a place in NH.

Last edited:
I'm considering casting bullets. I never have done so before. I was just wondering, though, where to buy lead? Are there local purveyors? Buddies of mine scrounge range lead, but I'd prefer to avoid that, as there's something of a competition for it and I don't need the anxiety, and I'm also concerned with the health issues associated with that end of the range.

If I find lead, what should I pay? What's a good price?

Finally, how do I know what I'm getting? Should I buy known products from reputable dealers and mix my own alloys? Or should I buy from guys who sell range lead that's cast into ingots and not worry about it?

Thanks very much,

M
Sounds to me like your not ready to scrounge and smelt your own lead, yet. You have 2 opptions.
1. Is to buy some ignots from one of the sellers off castboolits.com I have had very good dealings with all my castboolit transactions. Great group and helpful much like nes....I purchased lead from the captain in my beginnings. Lead Ingots For Sale - Buyer's Choice
2. If you want lead with a known alloy your best bet is rotometals. Com. They have free shipping over 100.00
I don't think you can find better prices for specific alloys. I purchased some lead from them to cast for my black powder needs. 1 to 20 Bullet Alloy Ingot (95%-lead, 5%-tin)
There's more than enough info here
From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners, Table of Contents - Fryxell/Applegate to get you on track....also ask here.

Back
Top Bottom