Where is the easy button?

Garys

NES Member
I just assembled my first AR lower. It took about an hour, and that was while watching TV. The only specialized tool I need, and don't have, is the one to tighten the castle nut on the buffer tube. Other than that I used the common gun smithing screw drivers and punches I already have. I didn't even have a problem getting the pivot pin detent and spring installed.

ARBuild1_zpse6e595d0.jpg

ARBuild2_zpsfb38b164.jpg

York Arms Conspirator lower
CMMG LPK
Windham Weaponry Carbine stock, buffer, buffer spring. The non adjustable one that looks like an adjustable one.

I can't believe how easy it is. Maybe I'll even do my own upper some day.

Last edited:
you just inspired me to budget some extra time and give it a go in the morning!

There are plenty of videos showing how to do it. That's if you haven't already seen them. The trickiest part was getting the bolt release retaining pin in without buggering the finish on the receiver. Oh, and finding the detent and spring when they fell out on my first attempt. Several layers of masking tape and going slowly were the key.

I also didn't use one of those magazine well blocks. No need to, at least not for me.

I always have my staples easy button next to me. Also my 8 ball if I need to make some important decision.

"Send it" via iPhone M107A1

Maybe I live under a rock, but that's the first time I've seen 'Get off my lawn' on a receiver.

Nice work on the assembly. It's really not that hard to do, but doing it without leaving any nicks your first time is admirable.

Maybe I live under a rock, but that's the first time I've seen 'Get off my lawn' on a receiver.

York Arms. Custom engraving is a big part of their business. They will put just about anything on that you can think up. They also do custom serial numbers. Good guys, small shop. I don't know what their current pricing or back log is. I ordered this back in August and spent the time waiting for it looking for the LPK and stock. I got it all at pre panic prices. [smile]

Nice work on the assembly. It's really not that hard to do, but doing it without leaving any nicks your first time is admirable.

Thank you. I only made one screw up and it was easy to fix. Embarrassment prevents me from revealing what it was. I read a lot and looked at videos on line. Everyone seems to have their own little tricks for assembly. I just picked the trick that best matched the tools I have on hand. After I finished I read a post here about using hockey pucks as backstops for tapping in pins and such. Good idea. I'd never think of it since I have no interest in hockey. Someone says "hockey puck" and I think of Don Rickles.

I've ordered a combination wrench, although I expect to only need it to tighten the castle nut. Other than that and a Delta Ring tool, I didn't find any of the special tools available necessary for completion. As I noted, I used masking tape on the receiver to prevent the nicks that are common when driving in the bolt release pin. Several layers of that blue tape that comes off easily and I didn't even leave any residue. I do have a general gun smith punch set and brass hammer and that helped a lot.

Working slowly is the key I think. Not my natural way of doing it, but I made sure to read the instruction sheet several times, understand what parts were what, and just take my time. Still, it only took about an hour.

Last edited:
Youtube, play, pause, rewind, play...finish! I had an issue with the buffer tube castle nut but I had an AR15 armorers tool and it still scratched the stock tube.

I cant belive you only want $300 for it.;-) Nice job on the build.

This one is definitely not for sale. It has a custom serial number which is significant to me alone. The "Get off my lawn!" thing is an inside joke. Well maybe not so inside since everyone knows where it comes from. ;)

good for you

Well, thanks. The replacement stock nut I ordered came, now I just need the wrench to tighten it. The previous owner of the stock used something to take it, but it doesn't appear to have been a real armorer's wrench. They're cheap enough, I can't think of a reason not to have one if you have an AR.

The build went so well that it inspired me to find a disassembly/reassembly video for my Savage 69 shotgun. It has a cycling problem and I think I found the cause. Waiting on parts for that and I'll see what kind of amateur gunsmith I am.

I like to use electrical tape instead of masking tape. If you slip while driving in a pin or something the masking tape can tear and you can still damage your part. Electrical tape is a good bit tougher and I haven't had any issues with adhesive residue.

I like to use electrical tape instead of masking tape. If you slip while driving in a pin or something the masking tape can tear and you can still damage your part. Electrical tape is a good bit tougher and I haven't had any issues with adhesive residue.

I use several layers of masking tape, but one guy I saw on You Tube used duct tape over masking tape. The nice thing about masking tape is that it's made to come off and leave no residue. Duct or electrical tape are made to stay on so they use a tougher adhesive.

The important thing really is to use something because it's a tight fit getting a hammer and punch in there.

One other guy I saw on You Tube used adjustable pliers and kept adjusting them smaller. That worked, but I thought there was a lot of potential for damage if the jaws slipped.

There are a lot of videos on You Tube, some good, some not so good. I looked at a lot of them and took bits and pieces from a number of them.

Still, it's not rocket surgery.

Back
Top Bottom