where do you store your ammo?

Preferably separate?
Please!

Nobody's actually answered your question so I'll take a shot at it: I believe MA law requires you to have both your guns and your ammo in a locked storage container of some kind, preferably separate from one another. When I first started I purchased two Sentry safes, one for my guns (2 at the time) and the other for my ammo. Easily held 1000 rounds, 500 for both guns. That was all I could afford at the time so no comments about being unprepared for the imminent Kommie invasion or whatever...I gradually built up my reserve and moved to a larger safe. You can start out the same way, too.

so i figured what safe im going to get( for now until i can afford a bigger one and more guns) and now im thinking on where and how i can store my ammo. i was thinking a couple of ammo boxes but then where can i put them so no one can just walk off with them. hide the ammo boxes? in my bedroom? in the hall way? i dont want to store the ammo down in the basement because i dont go down there that often. should i get another small safe and bolt it down somewhere?

So im looking to see how people store and hide there ammo.

this is the safe i was thinking on getting for now(got the idea from NES and people telling me about fort knox)
Where do I store the ammo? Inside the small arms locker, along with the three thundersticks that I own. Keep the cleaning kit and carrying cases in there as well.

I read you shouldn't keep ammo in a firesafe because it can go off before the safe is compromised by fire. So i keep my ammo out of the gun safe.

My ammo is in locked ammo boxes on wire racks.

Unfortunately since I just have nowhere else to store the boxes, the racks are in the utility area in my basement where the electrical panel and furnace are, so if either of them need to be services there will be in plain view.

I've been looking for an old, broken, chest freezer, one of the smaller 2 or 3 feet square and about 3 feet tall. It has a gasket, a lock (if the key hasn't been lost) and is insulated for temperature stability.

Haven't found one yet, but check craigslist from time to time.

Nobody's actually answered your question so I'll take a shot at it: I believe MA law requires you to have both your guns and your ammo in a locked storage container of some kind, preferably separate from one another. When I first started I purchased two Sentry safes, one for my guns (2 at the time) and the other for my ammo. Easily held 1000 rounds, 500 for both guns. That was all I could afford at the time so no comments about being unprepared for the imminent Kommie invasion or whatever...I gradually built up my reserve and moved to a larger safe. You can start out the same way, too.

Please post where MGL states this.

I've met a few people that use filing cabinets for their ammo.

Mine is currently, and generally always has been, lying about most everywhere.

I've met a few people that use filing cabinets for their ammo.

Mine is currently, and generally always has been, lying about most everywhere.

I use a locked filing cabinet for it, concrete lined. ain't no bad guys gettin in there.

Also, randomly scattered around so I can reload if need be [wink]

Edited for opsec. :)

sleeping-dog-running_zps19559f11.gif

Last edited:
so i figured what safe im going to get( for now until i can afford a bigger one and more guns) and now im thinking on where and how i can store my ammo. i was thinking a couple of ammo boxes but then where can i put them so no one can just walk off with them. hide the ammo boxes? in my bedroom? in the hall way? i dont want to store the ammo down in the basement because i dont go down there that often. should i get another small safe and bolt it down somewhere?

this is the safe i was thinking on getting for now(got the idea from NES and people telling me about fort knox)

In a firearm teetering on a precarious ledge above some fireworks.

If u don't have a lot skip the safe. If u have a lot, it won't fit in a safe. Get large Tupperware bin containers with a padlock. Use a dehumidifier if its damp.

I tend to store my bullets in a large pile of dirt down at the club. Primers are kinda dangerous, so I bought some tools to hold the cartridges and smack a spike into the primers to deactivate them. Powder's dangerous too, so I make sure that gets burned. The cartridge cases go in a separate container afterwards. Of course, safety is everyone's job, so I try to make sure to get as much ammo as I can find and make it safe...

Mine is stored randomly throughout the house, a box here, a box there, all in plain view and not locked up. Surplus cases of ammo are used as foot stools, TV stands, door stops, etc.

Yeah... I am not MA compliant.

Get a safe you can afford to stay in MA compliance. Lock up your guns in it. you will probably end up getting a larger safe. I still have my first one, now I keep some of my pistol ammo and magazines in it.

Or if you don't want to get a safe, put a stupid trigger lock on it to make sure the assachusetts .gov tyrants are happy if you are not carrying it, and leave it on your kitchen table.

Lock up the ammo in a locked ammo box or that little handgun safe, , or a job box from a lowes or HD.

If you need to 'hide' it because of where you live, keep it hidden. Out of curiosity, who would walk off with it? Other than my kids pilfering my ammo when I take them to the range, no one has ever walked off with any of my ammo....

Lastly, you might not go down to your basement often, but if you store your ammo down there, you will go 'more often'.

No one would search my shitshow of a basement for ammo, you can't even walk in there

Last edited:
I bought two small safes to store my ammo and guns in, the family is cool with having guns as long as we have some security, we have little ones around and more on the way, I am cool with it cause I get to start back an old hobby I have been missing a long time.

Tim [grin]

Back
Top Bottom