• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When is it OK to leave negative feedback?

I have always been unsure when to leave negative feedback, I'm always wondering if it's a petty or deserved reason. I have a member asking to buy something and has blown me off twice, I want to leave negative feedback but at the same time I'm wondering if its worth it. I'm guessing once I leave them negative feedback, they are going to give me negative feedback and it only ends up hurting me.

what are your thoughts and when is it justified?

No transaction equals no feedback in my opinion. Ghosting you or not replying to PMs is just business as usual imho. Stuff happens, people change their mind and some folks have no social skills.

If your buyer agreed on a time and place to meet, you went there and he didn't show up, negative feedback is appropriate.

I’d suggest reading your own 2 Neg feedbacks and start from there. Sounds like you’ve done the the same thing a couple times, may be best to just agree to disagree and move on.

This is exactly my point, that feedback is bullshit. One guy was mad that I didnt want his gun in a trade and I didn't reply to him for a day as I was away for the weekend and the other guy blew me off for a month so I left him negative feedback so he gave me negative feedback. The 58 other people I have dealt with had no issues

I think the ONLY reason I'd ever leave negative feedback is if the other party committed to showing up and then didn't.

My time is valuable to me. Waste it on a trip out to Winchendon or someplace after I've gone to the bank and pulled out some cash, and yeah, I'll be pissed enough to leave a neg. But I'll make sure to detail the reasons why in my feedback.

I'd never leave neg feedback solely for bad comms, but I won't want to do business with you if you don't reply in a timely manner.

Ya well it’s def a crap shoot, you have enough scores to know that by now. If people are doing their due diligence they’ll look at those negs, compare them to the senders numbers, and add that to their gut feeling on current communications and whether to proceed or not with the current deal. 🤷‍♂️

This is exactly my point, that feedback is bullshit. One guy was mad that I didnt want his gun in a trade and I didn't reply to him for a day as I was away for the weekend and the other guy blew me off for a month so I left him negative feedback so he gave me negative feedback. The 58 other people I have dealt with had no issues

FWIW, those two negs wouldn't dissuade me from doing a deal with you. I don't give a lot of credence to negative feedback that doesn't include a specific reason why it's there.

ETA: I'm also mindful that a lot of people don't leave positive feedback, either. I assume a person with a lot of positives also has 10-15 more that just didn't get submitted.

This is exactly my point, that feedback is bullshit. One guy was mad that I didnt want his gun in a trade and I didn't reply to him for a day as I was away for the weekend

You need to take the high ground and be polite and apologize when appropriate. You know, just act like a decent human being.

and the other guy blew me off for a month so I left him negative feedback so he gave me negative feedback. The 58 other people I have dealt with had no issues

"Blew you off for a month" equals no interest in the transaction. Just move on. You deserved the negative feedback.

FWIW, those two negs wouldn't dissuade me from doing a deal with you. I don't give a lot of credence to negative feedback that doesn't include a specific reason why it's there.

ETA: I'm also mindful that a lot of people don't leave positive feedback, either. I assume a person with a lot of positives also has 10-15 more that just didn't get submitted.

The specific reasons are there in good detail, you just have to click through the feedback summary statement for each to see them.

No transaction equals no feedback in my opinion. Ghosting you or not replying to PMs is just business as usual imho. Stuff happens, people change their mind and some folks have no social skills.

If your buyer agreed on a time and place to meet, you went there and he didn't show up, negative feedback is appropriate.

This is valid

Only negative feedback I ever left was when someone set a meet up and didn’t show after sitting the at the spot for 30 minutes with no response.

Only other reason I would give negative feedback would be if someone tried to change the terms of the deal at the meetup after coming to an agreement.

I don't care what anybody says about me in person let alone on a website. I say, neg away! I the guy gives a shit then he's got nothing important going on anyway.
Neg rep is big responsibility, it is like herpes, it stays there forever.

If the buyer backed down before anyone drove to the meeting place, be a man and walk away.

If you drove to the meeting place and the dude backed down, then neg rep could/should be given assuming it wasn't due to an emergency.

It would be nice if people giving neg rep gave us more details. Look at the OP, we have no idea why 2 users gave him herpes, only that they feel like the OP wasted their time.

You need to take the high ground and be polite and apologize when appropriate. You know, just act like a decent human being.

"Blew you off for a month" equals no interest in the transaction. Just move on. You deserved the negative feedback.
How did I deserve the negative feedback when i kept asking to meetup, they would say next week. Next week would come and I would say when do you want to meet up, no response for a few days and then next week.

How did I deserve the negative feedback when i kept asking to meetup, they would say next week. Next week would come and I would say when do you want to meet up, no response for a few days and then next week.

If you don't understand already I probably won't be able to explain it to you.

Communication is key — if you feel someone is jerking you along, I’d prefer be polite and call them out on it… if there are valid concerns, address them cordially and see if you can mutually resolve them. If thy can’t be resolved, agree to disagree — still be polite and go your separate ways. Some “deals” don’t always materialize in a sale. That’s fine.

I look at it this way — we’re a small community of like minded folks in a relatively limited geographic area (Northeast) with the exception of those folks dialing in from elsewhere. Make allies, not enemies. Why burn bridges.

My $0.02…

The specific reasons are there in good detail, you just have to click through the feedback summary statement for each to see them.

Oh! Shit. I never realized you could find more info.

Huh. I've always wondered why it asked me for that lengthier message down below. I thought it was a personal message to the other party, lol; I learn something new every day.

I've never had much to say down there, but then I've only ever left positive feedback. Everyone I've dealt with here has been as good as their word, even the ones who seem like they have limited social skills or don't shower much.

As a buyer I don't leave feedback until the item is in hand, same goes for other online auction places. As a seller, I leave feedback as soon as my work is done, for instance I've handed it off to the shipping company (I've been paid at that point). I agree that unless there's a transaction there should be no feedback. Feedback for no shows is tempting but I think vindictive and unnecessary. We've all had days go against the rotary fan blades and have had to adapt.

If you get the impression that the seller/buyer is pulling your leg, dust off your shoes and move on.

*Welching on the final transaction, like no-show to an agreed FTF or failing to ship after payment was made

*Misrepresenting or concealing what's being sold, but caveat emptor applies - a seller should explain what he has to the best of his knowledge and a buyer should do his homework or be willing to accept the consequences of not doing so

*Hostile or passive-aggressive behavior, e.g. name-calling, blocking, causing drama

That's about all I'd ever use negative feedback for but everyone's got an opinion.

I read both the number of transactions and also the content of the feedback. Sometimes people just make a ton of sales, so statistically, there's going to be some bad ones - more deals = more potential for deals that fall through. Basically, I look at the ratio - if someone's at like 90-100% positive, they're good. Anything below 90% gets suspicious to me.

Again, my opinion, my preferences, and you do you.

Feedback for no shows is tempting but I think vindictive and unnecessary. We've all had days go against the rotary fan blades and have had to adapt.

This is a great point. I should have said I'd only leave the neg if the other person didn't get to me PRONTO with info about why they're not there. Or didn't reply when I tried to reach them.

I mean, if I'm sitting in a Dunkie's parking lot, cash in hand, waiting and stewing and getting no comms to explain it... yeah, that's about the only time.

I've dealt with my fair share of tire kickers on NES. If I'm not hearing back from a buyer I move on to the next person who PM'd me.

Thats pretty much how I feel as well.

If this thread even makes it to page 3, there is serious potential here. lol

I’m looking forward to the “alt” thread.

Bob

I've dealt with my fair share of tire kickers on NES. If I'm not hearing back from a buyer I move on to the next person who PM'd me.
I agree, this was more of lets meet tomorrow at 10am at place X, then I called to verify before I went to place at said time and I didn't hear from the buyer. I sent messages and they never responded, A few hours after the meetup time they responded and said they were busy and sorry they couldn't make it and to meet up two days later. I fell for it twice.

Also some of us go away at moments notice and cell service it’s not the best assuming we even have phones on us. Sometimes it may take days or weeks for someone to respond. However, if you haven’t heard from someone in few days but he or she is lmao…ing on rapetiles threads then that’s your answer.

Back
Top Bottom