When Does a .380 Beat a 9mm? PDN article

ShootingTheBull410

Check out his .380 ammo quest series. The takeaway for me, even with the best rounds tested, was that it's a completely and totally anemic, non-viable round for defense. You couldn't give me a gun chambered in .380, much less convince me to carry it.

ShootingTheBull410

Check out his .380 ammo quest series. The takeaway for me, even with the best rounds tested, was that it's a completely and totally anemic, non-viable round for defense. You couldn't give me a gun chambered in .380, much less convince me to carry it.

Can I shoot you with one then? Just want to make sure you're not scared of it either. [wink]

ShootingTheBull410

Did you miss the videos of the 380 rounds that passed the denim test? I.e. precision one ammo

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Can I shoot you with one then? Just want to make sure you're not scared of it either. [wink]

Hey don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of a pellet gun. I just wouldn't rely on a .380 to stop a determined bad guy. Shoot an unmotivated thug with a .22 and he'll run the other direction. Shoot someone determined and on PCP with a .45 and they may keep coming. I like rounds that can consistently penetrate deeply enough to be a fight stopper without over-penetrating. .380s either expand and under-penetrate or don't and over-penetrate. The other popular rounds, on the other hand... it's pretty easy to find a good round that will expand every time and still penetrate deep enough for vitals or CNS.

Did you miss the videos of the 380 rounds that passed the denim test? I.e. precision one ammo

I'm aware that he found one or two that qualified but they're still about half the energy of a 9mm and not necessarily easy to find.

I'm aware that he found one or two that qualified but they're still about half the energy of a 9mm and not necessarily easy to find.

I dont think anyone is saying 380 is better then 9mm. But per iwba requirements there are 380s that pass. There are plenty of 9s that fail the test too, its important to find ammo that works consistently in the barrel length you use.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I dont think anyone is saying 380 is better then 9mm. But per iwba requirements there are 380s that pass. There are plenty of 9s that fail the test too, its important to find ammo that works consistently in the barrel length you use.

Definitely true. I've seen a number of 9mm rounds that don't perform right. Thing is 9mm and up has enough power to be mulch-purpose. You can get a 9mm that will expand every time, penetrate between 12 and 18", and can even do so after going through a barrier and denim. An optimal .380 isn't going to do that or produce enough cavitation.

As for the statement that I wouldn't take a .380 if you game me one.... If there were only .380s and .22s I'd totally take the .380. If I can have a .380 or a 9mm I can't imagine a world where I'd even consider the .380.

Look what the 380 did to the guy in the Florida movie theater. Obviously it isn't a round you want to use for self defense.

Look what the 380 did to the guy in the Florida movie theater. Obviously it isn't a round you want to use for self defense.

My thinking on defense ammo is that it's not nothing to do with the 90% of cases where the small caliber does the job and all to do with the 10% of times where it doesn't.

While I agree with all of those who will say shot placement is everything, and I also agree that a 380 is better than nothing, I wouldn't carry one.

The fact that .380 costs so much is the reason it fails. It should not cost more than 9mm, it should cost less.

The fact that .380 costs so much is the reason it fails. It should not cost more than 9mm, it should cost less.

Cost shouldn't be a consideration in defensive ammo unless you put a finite price on your life. I'll happily pay for fancy marketing, low production numbers, and exotic materials if the round outperforms the others.

That said... .380s don't...

I know you said you were giving him shit....but still that is the dumbest thing I've heard on this site in a long time. Based on your concept here you go stand in from of two guys.......one with a bodyguard .380......the other with an LC9 9mm then chose which guy gets to pull the trigger on you.......see my point........both will put holes in people just fine. But I think there is no contest in stating the 9mm is more effective in stopping a threat. Based on that little half ass theory I just presented.......ill be the third guy carrying a 357 magnum bet nobody chooses me. [smile]

Last edited:
Cost shouldn't be a consideration in defensive ammo unless you put a finite price on your life. I'll happily pay for fancy marketing, low production numbers, and exotic materials if the round outperforms the others.

That said... .380s don't...
YUP.......absolutely

When you don't have a 9mm?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Back
Top Bottom