~ What''s with the "WEIRD" 30-.30 shown here? . . .

3030HEADSTAMPS-1.jpg
BOTH3030-1.jpg

Here’s a quick question being tossed out for you knowledgeable folks. I though I had the answer but come to find out I surely didn’t. When sorting through some ammo a year or more back, I came across a weird looking 30-.30 with straight sides. I double checked the head to make sure it truly was a 30-.30 and it read that it was. The rings seen around the left round I believe are from my using steel wool to get some crud off it before using a little polish.

I figured someone really screwed up when they were reloading. Then I remembered that when a friend and I bought our Super 14, Thomson Contenders we had decided on the 30-.30 instead of reforming cases to shoot the 30 Herrett. So I thought that it was a 30 Herrett round that I garnered somewhere but no it surely wasn’t, once I had Googled images of it.

30HERRETT-1.jpg

30 HERRETT​

I made a quick search last night to find the round in question so I could take some measurements but didn’t come across it. If the definitive answer about this round doesn’t arrive I’ll give it a go again and find and measure that little rascal round. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Interesting. Judging by the straight walls aflat nosed bullet in it my first guess is it's intended for a late 1800s lever action. I assume the bullet is 0.308" diameter.

For a few years, .38/55 brass was hard to obtain and some people would use .30/30 brass which was a little short but would work. If the bullet is .375 then as EC said, it's probably a 38/55. If the bullet is 32 caliber it could be a .32/40 though it doesn't appear to have enough taper.

What is the bullet diameter? If it's .375, then it's a .38-55 formed from a .30-30 case.
Ed ~ I didn’t want to remove the bullet at this time but did note that the outside diameter of the mouth of the casing is smaller than the .375 that you stated. The bullet is probably size .32 or .30 perhaps. I’m posting my measurements of the casing later for comparisons. Thanks for your input.

For a few years, .38/55 brass was hard to obtain and some people would use .30/30 brass which was a little short but would work. If the bullet is .375 then as EC said, it's probably a 38/55. If the bullet is 32 caliber it could be a .32/40 though it doesn't appear to have enough taper.
gerrycaruso ~ It does have a smaller bullet I believe. Check out the diagram that follows, thanks.

Last edited:
~ Close measurements . . .

Looks like a 32-40 Ballard formed from a 30-30 case.
WEIRD30-3002-2.jpg

Slowdive ~ Thanks for your input. The measurements I made are pretty close to those that you posted with the sketch. So, barring any better evidence, the round in question most probably is the .32-40 (Ballard & Marlin, Winchester) formed from a 30-30 casing, right?

Last edited:
I think you got it.
The .4155 at the base being 8.5mils smaller than the drawing would concern me a little, but everything else looks close enough to the 32-40 that I would shoot it.

Really? I've seen .32-20 lever guns but not a .32-40. If you buy it, can I shoot it?

I will be back @ B&K tomorrow for the Natick NES social, Ill get confirmation but I'm pretty sure. It was 19th century vintage IIRC. If I do get it you'd be more than welcome to shoot it...however unless I start casting .32 cal, I don't know how I'd feed it. Good to know you can make brass out of 30-30.

I was thinking about that rifle so I checked and Midway has Winchester brass in .32/40. I'm sure you know they won't ship it to Ma.

I can confirm that B&K sales does indeed have a vintage 19 century Winchester lever gun chambered in 32-40...based on the tag it looks like hes asking $1095.

Back
Top Bottom