What's the future of reloading?

Titan

Banned
I'm thinking about getting into reloading, but have held off so far because I'm concerned that the MA government will impose taxes etc. on reloading equipment and supplies, eliminating the economic benefit of reloading.

I understand that the other benefit, which may dwarf the economic benefit is the issue of availability, and freedom to load as much as I'd like.

My two questions are...

1) What do folks here feel about the likelihood that re-loading will be made cost prohibitive via government action? Are there early indicators (price increases, taxes, etc.)?

2) Is there reloading equipment available that lends itself to going on the road (bug-out type situation), or is it pretty much a home based activity?

I'm thinking about getting into reloading, but have held off so far because I'm concerned that the MA government will impose taxes etc. on reloading equipment and supplies, eliminating the economic benefit of reloading.

I understand that the other benefit, which may dwarf the economic benefit is the issue of availability, and freedom to load as much as I'd like.

My two questions are...

1) What do folks here feel about the likelihood that re-loading will be made cost prohibitive via government action? Are there early indicators (price increases, taxes, etc.)?

2) Is there reloading equipment available that lends itself to going on the road (bug-out type situation), or is it pretty much a home based activity?

If you cast your bullets, wheelweights work fine. Primers & powder and eventually brass would be the concern, so stock up now.
You can tie down a press using "C" clamps and load at the shooting bench.
There is talk about the banning of any 223,308, 7.62X54R, 7.62X39 ammo being imported, as well as others. This came from a Canadian source. Don't know if it's fact or fiction!

Buy your junk in New Hampshire like everyone else does and take up reloading this afternoon. It is the best part of shooting. How anyone can afford to shoot factory loads today is beyond me unless they're guarding the Denver mint and own a key to the back door.

Besides, the best part of reloading is the tayloring of ammo to the task at hand. It's amazing how much better your proper handloads can perform in fussy guns and in special circumstances. And, as intimated above; it's still a great cost saver. Do it now.

If you cast your bullets, wheelweights work fine. Primers & powder and eventually brass would be the concern, so stock up now.
You can tie down a press using "C" clamps and load at the shooting bench.
There is talk about the banning of any 223,308, 7.62X54R, 7.62X39 ammo being imported, as well as others. This came from a Canadian source. Don't know if it's fact or fiction!

Ted Kennedy's objective has always been to ban any ammo that can penetrate a armored vest. That would generally include anything over 44 caliber and most rifle ammo.

Ted may never get back to the Senate to drive, this but you can bet others will make the attempt on his behalf.

God help us all when Ted passes and they come up with a rash of 'tribute legislation' that 'would have made him proud'!

With all due respect.... Sounds like pure tinfoil to me, even in this crappy state we live in.

Further, even if that did come to pass, there would be very little in place to keep you from circumventing the taxes, unless they attached serious penalties to these imaginary laws- and frankly, if that came to pass, I'd be pretty concerned about getting the hell out of this state.

SA John said:
Buy your junk in New Hampshire like everyone else does and take up reloading this afternoon. It is the best part of shooting. How anyone can afford to shoot factory loads today is beyond me unless they're guarding the Denver mint and own a key to the back door.

+a billion. I wish I started reloading years ago. It has paid so many
dividends already, and I haven't even been doing it that long. I had to
start reloading because I literally wouldn't be able to afford shooting at
current commercial ammo prices.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom