What's the best accuracy/distance I can expect with 22 Short?

I routinely shoot 22lr to 200 yards. for my setup it’s ~27 moa of elevation to dial. the key with 22 is to stay subsonic at the muzzle otherwise the trans-sonic will ruin the trajectory. 22 short will Be subsonic and is definitely do-able to 100 yards. It’s just a lighter projectile so it will lose velocity faster than a 22lr.

however that rifle looks like a collector….not sure I’d shoot it probably would do my usual air tight seal and store for my kids.

Thanks for asking about the .22 Short because it made me get my old ass in gear and find out for sure. I took the 1890 pump to the club this morning. It's sighted in at 25 yards. I took it to the 100 and set up a full size silhouette. I held high in the chest and fired 5 rounds. All went low off the target. I held on the head and fired 5 more. I could see some holes through the spotting scope so I fired another 5. When I walked up I could see that all 10 were in the abdomen. This means that with that rifle, it hits about 2 feet low at 100 when sighted for 25. The ammo was CCI Target .22 Short

I recently inherited a very nice Winchester 1885 Low Wall rifle from my Dad. It's an old WW I training rifle marked with US and an ordinance bomb behind the hammer in 22 Short. The story behind it is that it was an Army training rifle that "walked" away from the range with one of my great uncles.

I'm wondering what people think would be a good expectation on shooting this rifle. Can 22 Short reach 100 yards or would it be like lobbing a ball with a high arch to even hit the target. I'll start at 25 yards and then walk it out, but just wondering if anyone has experience with 22 Short and it's characteristics.

Thanks
.22 shorts will have no problems reaching 100 yards. The accuracy of the rifle is what's going to determine if shooting at 100 yards is worth it.
22 short can be very accurate
Does eley still make 22 shorts
IIRC the 22 short was used for olympic pistol until replaced by air guns in the 2000s

Anyway we used 22 shorts on rats at the dump . Out of my glenfield 25 ( cheap bolt gun) I could hover around 1” with some flyers at 50 yards.

That rifle may or may not shoot well? Give it a try. No problem shooting that out to 100 yards

You will never know until you try
That old and possible used as a trainer probably well worn.
Think the primer compound was corrosive?

There are a couple guys at my club who shoot .22 shorts in the .22 league CCI still makes .22 short match. Buy Short Target for USD 14.99 | CCI

.22 shorts will have no problems reaching 100 yards. The accuracy of the rifle is what's going to determine if shooting at 100 yards is worth it.

There are a couple guys at my club who shoot .22 shorts in the .22 league CCI still makes .22 short match. Buy Short Target for USD 14.99 | CCI
This is a generic list and its dependent on your actual velocity , sight height , weather
But a 29 gn bullet going aprox 800 fps
Will have 16” drop at 100 yards. With a 25 yard zero.

You can always zero it to PBR just pick a target size 684ADC41-F3A1-41C2-AB39-EF94E5529C4B.jpeg

If your looking to have a zero where you can hit a target whith out changing poa or adjust your sights your going to have to pick a target size.
Lets use 6”
Again a generic table and the more info the better info you can get.

So bellow you zero point of impact aprox .5 high at 10 yards you can hit a 6” target out to 80 yards while holding center of target or Point Blank Range

Well thats if your gun shoots well enough and you can hold dead center
654BD2D5-7445-47B2-95B5-02161AAEE18D.png

Last edited:
I've got a falling block 22 short that was my wife's grandfather's rifle. Bull barrel. It's a funny gun to shoot. It's pretty accurate at 50 yds.

Once I had a brain fart and took it to the range with my boy. Forgot it was .22 Short. Loaded an LR in there. It fit, but not well. It didn't extract. ROFL!!! Glad the overpressure didn't blow that 1" barrel. ;)

I've got a falling block 22 short that was my wife's grandfather's rifle. Bull barrel. It's a funny gun to shoot. It's pretty accurate at 50 yds.

Once I had a brain fart and took it to the range with my boy. Forgot it was .22 Short. Loaded an LR in there. It fit, but not well. It didn't extract. ROFL!!! Glad the overpressure didn't blow that 1" barrel. ;)
Might not blow the barrel but can definately blow by the breach/bolt face

My door gun for yard pest control is a Henry 22. I keep it loaded with shorts because its quieter, holds a ton of em, and is surprisingly accurate. Most shots are within 25yds but I've made shots on small critters out to 50 and just held over a little.

I use shorts in a Ruger Bearcat for dispatching animals in traps as well, quieter and doesn't make as much of a mess. For what I use it for, I just don't need much more than that.

From the age of print magazines, I remember an article about someone's Volquartzen 10/22 chambered in .22 Short, with a 16" barrel.

He built it for hunting squirrels. Brain shot, every time.

With the right twist rate and consistent ammo, .22 Short will precise out to 50 yards. NB: "precise" v. "accurate"

From the age of print magazines, I remember an article about someone's Volquartzen 10/22 chambered in .22 Short, with a 16" barrel.

He built it for hunting squirrels. Brain shot, every time.

With the right twist rate and consistent ammo, .22 Short will precise out to 50 yards. NB: "precise" v. "accurate"
“Accurate” is so imbedded in the “gun” talk its not going anywhere even if “accurate” is not correct.
Your right though 22s like any other ammo can be good or not and thevplatform helps if set up for it.

“Accurate” is so imbedded in the “gun” talk its not going anywhere even if “accurate” is not correct.
Your right though 22s like any other ammo can be good or not and thevplatform helps if set up for it.
Accurate is important, too - if your sights aren't (sufficiently) adjustable.

Couple things …

Barrel Twist - 22 Short barrels were typical 1:20” up to 1:25”

Bullet Weight - Short (and Longs) are 29-grain, not 40 like most 22 Long Rifles.

Some do shoot 22LRs out of a 22 Long chamber, for example …. not that it would be recommended in a valuable collector arm. But usually accuracy suffers due to the twist versus bullet weight.

Match 22 Shorts in a correspondingly tight 22 Short chamber can perform very well out to 100-yards, says my Schuetzen rimfire single-shot experience … holding its own against match 22LRs, unless in windy conditions.

I keep looking for a clip of Jed and Jethro taking turns
driving nails tapped in a circular pattern in the end of a plank
propped up down by the cement pond.
I know they were shooting matches against the stone wall out front. Milburn needed a partner for the skeet shoot against a rival, so he made Jed a VP of the bank.

(My lovely bride is addicted to FeTV. She thought she hated Beverly Hillbillies, because she was always embarrassed by the corniness as a child. Now she loves it. And Mannix, and Perry Mason.)

I know they were shooting matches against the stone wall out front. Milburn needed a partner for the skeet shoot against a rival, so he made Jed a VP of the bank.
(I've seen the skeet episode's gun scenes a couple of times).

(My lovely bride is addicted to FeTV. She thought she hated Beverly Hillbillies, because she was always embarrassed by the corniness as a child. Now she loves it. And Mannix, and Perry Mason.)
Wait until she discovers that she likes the Three Stooges' slapstick after all.
The Bride did (all on her own - no arm twisting involved).

Back
Top Bottom