What would be causing these marks on the rim of my 45 ACP brass

rocket500

NES Member
Pistol is a Springfield Armory TRP Operator 45 ACP. So it has a bull barrel and no bushing (if that matters). I’ve not seen this kind of wear on the rims with any of my other 1911’s. It’s pistol specific. Anyone ever see something like this? I shot some factory ammo (Winchester white box) and some reloads that were Winchester once fired brass and minimum power loads of Titegroup, 230gr Berry’s plated bullets. They would cycle the pistol but weren’t hot enough to lock the slide back on an empty mag consistently. Saw the same wear pattern with both loads.

Attachments

• 3A1575D1-BDBB-475D-A3EA-2AAE704C1B8C.jpeg
    3A1575D1-BDBB-475D-A3EA-2AAE704C1B8C.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 176
Yes, it is flared. This is Springfield Armory’s top of the line non custom shop gun.

It could be hitting something on the way out, this is one of the possibilities. Although I wouldn’t expect damage to the rim as much as the case walls or mouth?

I will say the pistol is totally reliable.

Is the ejection port flared? Is the brass being flung into an edge?

Chamber a round then slowly extract and inspect. See if it’s damage from feeding.
If not it’s damage on extraction. Could just be some soft brass?

Have you inspected the port for brass ? Other than the ejector or slide, is there anything else that would leave a mark that deep?

Try loading a magazine the headstamp on all of the brass set in a certain position. For example, put the W in Winchester right at the top on every round. Then shoot those rounds and pick up the brass. The location of the marks should give you a hint about where to look for the offending item. If the marks do not end up in a consistent location, then that is a hint that the issue is happening after the brass is being ejected and is moving around.

You could also look around the chamber area for brass marks anywhere that they shouldn't be.

Interesting . I tumbled a bunch 45 brass yesterday. Some fired from the same gun as the OP, no marks . pulled some 10 mm today fired from a Springfield and getting the same marks .no problem with gun . Fires and feeds 100 percent . Hope pic posts doing this off a phone and I'm not to savy

Attachments

• 20181127_172046.jpg
    20181127_172046.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 61
No odd marks on the breech face.

I’m guessing it’s happening when the slide is stripping the next round out of the mag but we’ll see. Haven’t been able to get to the range since.

It is most likely due to a slight step on your breech face. Take a toothpick and run it back and forth across the breech face and you’ll probably feel it if you can’t see it. If it doesn’t affect function or reloading, leave it be. If OCD kicks in you can spend lots of time with a stone or needle file to get rid of it.

It is most likely due to a slight step on your breech face. Take a toothpick and run it back and forth across the breech face and you’ll probably feel it if you can’t see it. If it doesn’t affect function or reloading, leave it be. If OCD kicks in you can spend lots of time with a stone or needle file to get rid of it.
You will see and feel it. 3 o'clock as you look at the breech face. Had this issue when my first 1911 went to the range. I filed it away and was sone with that.

Back
Top Bottom