What to buy with my C&R

Ok, I know there have been hundreds of these threads....but I just got my C&R and I'm looking to make my 1st purchase using it. I already own a mosin, sks, and a M1 inland. Now I really want to use my license and don't know what to get. I'm thinking of getting a pistol. I've been looking at a 1911 made in 1918. Also do you guys know of any good places to buy a C&R weapon or is it the same deal as ammo being mail ordered to MA? [angry] Damn AG!!! I've sent out a few copies of my C&R to take advantage of the discounts but I'm sure I've missed a bunch of companies. Google is my best friend...[wink] If you guys can send me a PM with some distributors that would be awesome or if it's the same deal with the ammo then I understand if I don't get any Pm's.

*Mods if you have to go ahead and delete this thread*

Not all C&R dealers will ship to MA. YMMV.

CZ, Makarov, P35, P38, P08, 1911, Star, Berettas, old wheel guns, all are fun - some more expensive and more collectible than others. I would decide what you want the piece for - collector value, historical value, as a shooter, safe queen, to tinker on, etc etc then the answer will be more clear.

Buy a CZ82 or a Tokarev, they cheap and most of the C&R places have them. Just search around, you'll figure out who ships.

If someone would be so kind as to PM me some suggestions I would really appreciate it. (I think I've been here long enough to prove that I'm no rat.)

If someone would be so kind as to PM me some suggestions I would really appreciate it. (I think I've been here long enough to prove that I'm no rat.)

I don't think it's the fact of how long you've been around here. I found the people won't give that info unless they know you or you have gone to shoots and met some folks here, and even at that you still won't get any info. People in MA are real shady when it comes to things like that, it's already bad enough we only have a handful of companies that ship stuff here. Don't take it personal or anything, it's not that people may not trust you, it's just that they have a few connections and don't want to blow it. I hear where your coming from though, I'd like to know a few more places that I can get stuff from without the eye gauging prices.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the fact of how long you've been around here. I found the people won't give that info unless they know you or you have gone to shoots and met some folks here, and even at that you still won't get any info. People in MA are real shady when it comes to things like that, it's already bad enough we only have a handful of companies that ship stuff here. Don't take it personal or anything, it's not that people may not trust you, it's just that they have a few connections and don't want to blow it. I hear where your coming from though, I'd like to know a few more places that I can get stuff from without the eye gauging prices.

I don't take it personally at all... The request was targeted more towards the people that I have met.

It took me a while to figure out what to buy.
I started with:
1. Shooters, they must be able to shoot and be some what easy to repair and parts availability
2. Ammunition must be obtainable
3. Then of course I set a budget for now its 300.00 or less

So am I a collector, well yes in a way. Im collecting all C&R firearms that catch my eye for in the 300.00 range

My 1st purchase was a nagant revolver, basically for the price. Ammo was not readily available and I did not want to buy the 32. cylinder
I quickly sold it.
I then started with a pair of CZ82.......I like the CZ guns they all seem well built.
I also like the TT-33
So @ the moment I look for anything in 9x18 and 7.62x25 in hand guns.....Most US guns do not fit into my 300.00 range.
I am on the look out for a 1911 of some sort. Not a collector but a shooter I would not feel bad about refinishing, like a really bad chrome job the needs un doing.
Also consider storage space, if you come addicted to say mosin rifles you can have many in a short time with short money.

People in MA are real shady when it comes to things like that, it's already bad enough we only have a handful of companies that ship stuff here.

Wrong choice of word. This implies that all gun owners in MA are deceitful, not to be trusted. What's "shady" is the various state gov't offices' and agencies' ridiculous guidelines that they place us under. You really can't blame those of us that keep precious information to ourselves and our trusted friends, when the things we're ingaging in are absolutely 100% straight-up legal. You wouldn't think you'd have to keep something like that so quiet. But, you know, big bro is watching and all that crap.

Wrong choice of word. This implies that all gun owners in MA are deceitful, not to be trusted. What's "shady" is the various state gov't offices' and agencies' ridiculous guidelines that they place us under. You really can't blame those of us that keep precious information to ourselves and our trusted friends, when the things we're ingaging in are absolutely 100% straight-up legal. You wouldn't think you'd have to keep something like that so quiet. But, you know, big bro is watching and all that crap.

Yep. Not getting anything from me.

Jasons, check your PMs.

Last edited:
I think what you meant to say was "tight lipped".
Show up at a few of the shoots and you'll probably get a warmer reception when it comes to sharing information.

Been thinking, if I could start again with C&R
Garand WWII vintage
1911 WWII vintage and a few of the early variants
springfield 1903
Russian SKS
commie block semi autos of many flavors
ammo
and now a reloader with dies for all is next on the list.

Yeah, I agree shady was the wrong term to use but I did not mean it as being deceitful. I meant it as being tight lipped and keeping that sort of info between close friends or people you have met more than a few times.

You would be amazed on how I have found a few dealers from google searches. If you use different words and phrases and a whole lot of patience you will find what you are looking for. I use the comparison of a gold miner searching the mines for the huge nugget. A whole lot of searching but when you find what you are looking for it is well worth it.

You would be amazed on how I have found a few dealers from google searches. If you use different words and phrases and a whole lot of patience you will find what you are looking for. I use the comparison of a gold miner searching the mines for the huge nugget. A whole lot of searching but when you find what you are looking for it is well worth it.

Yup I must had called at least 75 dealers/ammo supply places before I found 2 that would ship into mass. But as posted above "big brother" is always watching and it truly is sad that people in MA have to be so tight lipped about something that is perfectly legal. What is even sadder is that we have members of this forum that are rats. Crap I reload and it's tough to get supplies without paying the gun shops inflated prices; not all gun shops are like that I have met a few gun shop owners from this forum and so far I have not had 1 bad experience and most have reasonable prices.

I just bought another C&R gem. I will have pics soon. I did some digging like I was talking about in my other post and if my purchase is as good as the pics and description, I hit the jackpot again. Details soon.....

I ended up picking up a 1911 made in 1918...really good price but the thing needs to be refinished and will be just a shooter. I will probably get sh*t for refinishing it but hey I didn't get it as a collectible I got it to be a shooter and for under $500 I think I got one hell of a deal on it. Once it comes in I'll try to post pics of before and after. Thanks again for all those who threw out some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom