• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What the hell do you say?

When we came back to CONUS after that 76 cruise, it was to Newport News. Were you on the Nimitz on it's maiden voyage? I heard horror stories about that cruise...it was all dog and pony shows and the skipper was not a real nice person to his crew (to put it as delicately as possible). Spit and polish the whole cruise. The new skipper they got for the second cruise was a very decent guy...
Yes and yes, you know it bro.[laugh]

I was at Market basket tonight with my wife....we had just put the groceries in the car and I was on the way back from dropping the cart off at the corral. I saw a young woman talking with my wife as she was getting in the car and saw the young lady give my wife something. I figured it was a Bernie brochure (I'm cynical that way)...I got in the car and my wife handed me what the woman had given to her. It was a gift card for a Dunkin Donuts and it was in a card thanking me for my service. She undoubtedly saw my Veteran's plates.

I sat in the car and cried...I never saw combat....I joined at the tail end of the Viet Nam war (Feb75) so "technically" I am a Viet Nam era vet and I stayed in until Feb 81, just before things really started going to hell in a hand basket in the Middle East. I was aircrew in E2's flew on and off carriers but basically all I did was play war games the 6 years I was in.

I lost two friends in Viet Nam, both during Tet, I know other guys that I am friends with that saw hell during their tours in Viet Nam and while they may not have external scars they certainly carry internal scars, some very deep. I have a friend that lost a son in Desert Storm and another friend who lost a leg in Afghanistan...

The worst I ever experienced? A couple of weeks of SERE school during flightcrew training.

I have people coming up to me thanking me for my service and I don't know what to say...all I can say is "you're welcome" but what I want to tell them to go to the memorial walls and thank those people who's names are there and go to the VA hospitals and walk around and thank those men and women who are there. I don't feel like I really did anything.

So, what do you guys say? I keep tearing up when thanked and like tonight, cried like a baby, telling my wife that as little as the gift cost, it still hit me in the feels when it was given to me...every time I am told thank you, I can't help but think of those that will never hear those words because of their ultimate sacrifice

You Served for 6 Years! You deserve it. Thank you!

Vet.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

My responce is usually "Thanks for your support" or "I appreciate that".

We were all vets and should be proud of that. Combat troops could not have functioned without a very long line of people behind them. It was a team effort.

Some sailor drove a forklift to load the food onto the ship. An oiler kept the ship moving. A transportation guy drove the truck full of food from the port to the forward base. A Battalion HQ clerk ordered what was needed. A cook steamed it to death. Someone stateside trained them all. A grunt could finally eat. I have 100% respect for everyone who served. I have zero respect for those who refused to serve hiding behind a 2S student deferment for 6 years. Zero respect for anyone who found a friendly chiropractor to get them a 4F medical deferment. It wasn't that hard to game the local draft board.

I think there were about 9 Mil Vietnam era vets. Only 2.7 Mil served in country. (It has been estimated that 14 Mil claimed to have served in country.) Of that 2.7 million, maybe 300K were grunts, another 300K Armour/Artillery/Eng, another 100 or 200K misc such as aviation, so maybe 7 or 800K combat veterans. But they wouldn't have survived long without the other 9Mil.

So be proud of your service. And thank the people who support our vets

It feels a little uncomfortable when someone says "thank your for your service" and especially something to the effect of "thank you for protecting the country". I'm not protecting the country. I know I signed on the line saying I would, and will if the need arises, but I'm currently not.

It feels a little uncomfortable when someone says "thank your for your service" and especially something to the effect of "thank you for protecting the country". I'm not protecting the country. I know I signed on the line saying I would, and will if the need arises, but I'm currently not.

There are many parts to the whole! Don't give yourself too little credit nor too much credit. Be appreciative of that someone's words and proud of what you do.

This.

You say thank you on behalf of all those who can't be here to say thank you.

Remember, there were many who served behind the lines in support roles as well. Did they see combat directly? No, but the machine does not work without all the cogs. Just for the fact that you served and were willing to put your life on the line is enough. Never forget that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom