What sizing die for 9mm?

steve8140

NES Member
I’m currently using the Dillon 9mm sizing die but the “coke bottle” shape kinda pisses me off.

What are you all using and how do you like it?

My press is a Dillon XL650 and uses a standard thread pattern.

This due to your projectile and the taperd case of the 9mm? I have Dillon dies and although it doesn’t bother me after sizing I don’t see the coke bottle, only after seating my .356 or .357 projos.

I measured a bunch of bullets today and they were all .355
Several thousand rounds loaded and never an issue. Just my OCD.

F6F3B755-1445-4054-A05A-18A62A8F1EDF.jpeg
3731A5B7-FB6B-477D-9C46-D877C033719A.jpeg

Left to right .355,.356,.357. Since the 9mm is a tapered case your gonna have a little. I even looked at my factory jhp and ball ammo all have a slight belly.

Attachments

• BA80BD65-BF10-4B24-B6C5-8C5DA65864CE.jpeg
    BA80BD65-BF10-4B24-B6C5-8C5DA65864CE.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 23
I’m currently using the Dillon 9mm sizing die but the “coke bottle” shape kinda pisses me off.

What are you all using and how do you like it?

My press is a Dillon XL650 and uses a standard thread pattern.

Whats your COAL on those pups?

You realize this is mostly cosmetic? if they fit in and out of a case gauge, shoot the things.

Ironically if the OP gets a U-die the thing he is bitching about will become perceptibly worse. [laugh]
Maybe. I use a U size and load .358 in 9mm. No issues.

Edit: they do look a little "weird" like what the OP describes (they are .358). But they shoot fine out of every 9mm semi auto and revolver I own.

Last edited:
Maybe. I use a U size and load .358 in 9mm. No issues.

To be clear, I'm not saying its bad. Hell I had a U die and I used to it to eliminate any possibility of the brass being an issue with some of the reloads I had back when I had one of the original Sig X-Fives.....

Whats your COAL on those pups?

You realize this is mostly cosmetic? if they fit in and out of a case gauge, shoot the things.
My COAL is 1.13”

Yes, completely cosmetic and I’ve never had an issue of any kind. They fit the gauge and every 9mm I own including my PCC’s. But I still would like them to be better.

U dies cover up a problem and Dillon 9mm sizing dies are the worst. I went to an RCBS die on my 1050 and haven't looked back.

What sucks about the dillon die? back when I had my 550 I loaded most of my 9s with their die. I had the RCBS one as well as the lee L-die too, but the U die I maybe used for about 50 rounds as a thought experiment when dealing with the X5 extractor issues....

My COAL is 1.13”

Yes, completely cosmetic and I’ve never had an issue of any kind. They fit the gauge and every 9mm I own including my PCC’s. But I still would like them to be better.

Yeah, they looked a little short to me, but they are probably well within spec (or the correct spec). I literally used to load all 9mm (115 or 124) FMJs at 1.155, no problem. Of course different people have different guns and compatibility etc. Like for example I used to load .45 230 fmjs at like 1.255 or even 1.260, but when I used 230 RNL I had to make those suckers a LOT shorter because the bullet mold my friend had, had this shitty dome-shaped sort of profile for those bullets that did not play well with autoloaders. To get those lead 230s to feed in 1911s correctly I had to load those suckers up a lot shorter, I forget what the spec was, but it wasnt far above the minimum.

What sucks about the dillon die?
It severly undersizes the case, resulting in the "wasp waist" profile. You also have to bench-press the expander out of the case because they're so under sized. Yeah, they gage, but they also gage when you don't over work the brass way more than necessary.

If anyone wants a Dillon 9mm sizing die, you can have mine for free. Just come and get it and put up with me as I ridicule you.

Back
Top Bottom