What should I buy 1st???

Gotcha! you all thought I was asking what gun I should buy, right. Well going a different direction here. I understand that there is a right tool for the job and the answer is not always "Biggest Caliber and Most Rounds" I could use a sledgehammer to bang in a finishing nail on an antique piece of woodwork however there is a right tool for the job. My first concern once my LTC arrives is OC/Mace. Does anyone have recommendations on a specific brand. I am aware that there is a Peoples Republic of MA regulation on how many ounces I can carry and a certain strength. Any info on prices and restrictions on ounces and strength would be appreciated.

Get a gun... thank me later.

Personally, if you have never shot before I think something like a .22 (Sig mosquito is very nice) is good to teach you marksmanship, how to handle the gun, cleaning, etc. There is also very little recoil.

If you can afford a 9mm at the same time, get both. Sig, Glock, S&W, Beretta, XD all make solid 9mm guns. Ammo is inexpensive vs. larger guns (although hard to find these days), common calibers mean parts are easier to get if you need work done, recoil is less than larger calibers which may help you as a newbie, etc.

All good info from BCEagleAce. OC/mace is cheap, so buy a gun at the same time if you can afford it.

The only thing I disagree about is the choice of the Mosquito. Do not buy a Mosquito without AT LEAST seeing how the trigger feels. I've heard good things from some people, and bad things from some people, but my experience with a friends sticks the most...

With a brand new Sig Mosquito, Sig mags, CCI HV ammo, and the proper recoil spring, the gun had AT LEAST one failure per three rounds for the first 200-ish rounds. The trigger pull (MA trigger) was insanely "gritty", stupidly heavy, and had such a hit-or-miss release point that we'd regularly either pop off a round early in the pull or have to actually release and re-grip the gun to get enough travel to fire. I'm not positive how many rounds he'd shot through it before he sold it at about a $150 loss, but I'm fairly sure it was around 1000 rounds.

It was a shame, since the finish was great and it fit my hand perfectly. It was and still is absolutely the #1 most disappointing gun I've EVER shot.

I personally prefer the Ruger .22 autoloaders (even with the finnicky disassembly/assembly of the MKIIIs). While I have not shot one myself, I was fairly impressed with the Walther P22 since it nicely fit my girlfriend's smaller hands and allowed her to hit the slide lock easily while not feeling overly small in my hands.

Edit: I'm gonna kick myself because I'm sure that now that I'm posting this I'll somehow find the money to buy it...but there's a P22 and two Ruger autoloaders at Four Seasons right now for short $$$.

Last edited:
Your very restricted on OC because you can't get it shipped to you. There are like two or three brands available and they are an afterthought. You MAY be able to convince a shop to buy you something specific but they may even have trouble. You are better off cruising the inet and getting something mailed to a relative/friend outside enemy lines.

As for what to get: Dye and a package/formfactor you can live with carrying. I know of no concentration restrictions but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Lastly if you get gel then it is less spray and more high powered silly string. So spray is more likely to get your attacker but also everyone else around. Gel is more likely to miss but if you get a big enough can, you should be fine. Maybe get some of each and test. About $20 a piece.

I am aware that there is a Peoples Republic of MA regulation on how many ounces I can carry and a certain strength. Any info on prices and restrictions on ounces and strength would be appreciated.

I don't believe that to be so.

There is usually someone selling Fox 5.3 at the gun shows. It's strong.
The chili pepper race has made most brands available in a strong concentration.
Check youtube for how people react to spraying themselves.

Gel can be thrown back at you.
Stream can miss.
Fog can come back on you.

I choose stream.

I think there's a limited variety...

I usually only see about 3-4 brands and I pick the orange wrapped mace with UV dye in it.

I don't really think too much about it. I heard the orange wrapped one is better than the gray one.

All good info from BCEagleAce. OC/mace is cheap, so buy a gun at the same time if you can afford it.

The only thing I disagree about is the choice of the Mosquito. Do not buy a Mosquito without AT LEAST seeing how the trigger feels. I've heard good things from some people, and bad things from some people, but my experience with a friends sticks the most...

With a brand new Sig Mosquito, Sig mags, CCI HV ammo, and the proper recoil spring, the gun had AT LEAST one failure per three rounds for the first 200-ish rounds. The trigger pull (MA trigger) was insanely "gritty", stupidly heavy, and had such a hit-or-miss release point that we'd regularly either pop off a round early in the pull or have to actually release and re-grip the gun to get enough travel to fire. I'm not positive how many rounds he'd shot through it before he sold it at about a $150 loss, but I'm fairly sure it was around 1000 rounds.

It was a shame, since the finish was great and it fit my hand perfectly. It was and still is absolutely the #1 most disappointing gun I've EVER shot.

I personally prefer the Ruger .22 autoloaders (even with the finnicky disassembly/assembly of the MKIIIs). While I have not shot one myself, I was fairly impressed with the Walther P22 since it nicely fit my girlfriend's smaller hands and allowed her to hit the slide lock easily while not feeling overly small in my hands.

I'm going to RESPECTFULLY disagree with his hate of the mosquito (should change my name to mosquitoDefender! hahaha) Yeah the trigger is a little weird but other than that I didn't have that many failures in mine, and I can tell when my mosquito will fire. with mini mags tho. any other ammo its open game for ftf and fte. but mines new, maybe his was old.... and the mags are outrageously priced!

the p22 is a sweet-hart with the minimags and a polished ramp! fits big hads ok with the pinky grip!

Gotcha! you all thought I was asking what gun I should buy, right. Well going a different direction here. I understand that there is a right tool for the job and the answer is not always "Biggest Caliber and Most Rounds" I could use a sledgehammer to bang in a finishing nail on an antique piece of woodwork however there is a right tool for the job. My first concern once my LTC arrives is OC/Mace. Does anyone have recommendations on a specific brand. I am aware that there is a Peoples Republic of MA regulation on how many ounces I can carry and a certain strength. Any info on prices and restrictions on ounces and strength would be appreciated.

If this is true (pretty sure it's not) you are aware of something many here are not. Please provide a link to the associated regulation/law to support this.

My approach is to buy the highest concentration OC I can get in the biggest containers I can carry. I have sizes from pocket sized to 1.5"x5" canisters. Remember they need to be replaced periodically.

Matt

Thanks for the information all. I have been shooting many times in the past and had an "interesting childhood". I have handled firearms more times than I can possibly count it just took me this long to apply for my license to carry so that I may legally own firearms. I already have a short list and have been saving for just the occasion as my LTC arriving. Short list.

Shotgun: mossy 500 mariner for home defense or saiga 12

Revolver: ruger sp101 or a SW 386 night guard

CCW: M&P or walther PPS

Must Have: 1911

rifle: ruger 10/22 and ar15

I plan on buying a gun on day 1 I just think that everyone should have a less lethal tool on their person. when a fist is not enough but a pistol is too much... mace to the face is a great thing.

Back
Top Bottom