• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What scopes have comparable glass with the SWFA-brand fixed power scopes?

Given that SWFA has most of their scopes on backorder, I was wondering if anyone here knew of scopes with comparable glass quality.

I have an SWFA 10x42 which I really like and would like to find something equally clear and sharp. Thanks.

Given that SWFA has most of their scopes on backorder, I was wondering if anyone here knew of scopes with comparable glass quality.

I have an SWFA 10x42 which I really like and would like to find something equally clear and sharp. Thanks.

for the price of SWFA, none have comparable glass.
which model are you seeking?
I have multiple extra 10x42 SS models

I should have been more specific, apologies.

Price range: It would be nice to keep it under 400, must keep it under 500. Really kicking myself for not picking up more of these scopes, especially since I got in on a sale for 200 I think.

My eyesight isn't the best, so clarity of glass is paramount. The fixed power aspect isn't set in stone, if there are other offerings available.

What is the least expensive equivalent or greater in clarity, 10 power availability or range including 10 (and/or more) might be a more accurate question. Thanks.

What exactly has history to do with it? Compared to others, the SWFA glass is kinda “dark”. At some point in ancient times, it might’ve been one of the best choices out there, but these days you can get a better scope with better features for the same money. Who cares if the ancient Egyptian pharaohs had a super sniper mounted to their bows? Vortex and Athlon have better optics at similar prices, and I’m not biased, I like neither of these.

...these days you can get a better scope with better features for the same money.

OK, why don't you post some actionable data--like some links to an in-stock scope that you would highly recommend in his price range. That might actually be useful.

I agree that the SWFA has marginal glass. Mine won't resolve .30 cal holes at 200 yards--but the turrets track accurately and the build seems solid.

If anybody has a link to a sub-$300 scope that will pass a box test AND has nice glass, I'd actually be interested in hearing about it.

-but these days you can get a better scope with better features for the same money. Who cares if the ancient Egyptian pharaohs had a super sniper mounted to their bows? Vortex and Athlon have better optics at similar prices, and I’m not biased, I like neither of these.

Ok, so you are saying Athlon and Vortex are in that price range but with better quality.

You like neither, what scopes do you like in the price range of sub-500 dollars?

I recently purchased an Arken 6-24x50. I was planning on writing a review tomorrow or so. From what I can tell so far, it seems to be a tremendous bang for $450.
Ok, so you are saying Athlon and Vortex are in that price range but with better quality.

You like neither, what scopes do you like in the price range of sub-500 dollars?

What exactly has history to do with it? Compared to others, the SWFA glass is kinda “dark”. At some point in ancient times, it might’ve been one of the best choices out there, but these days you can get a better scope with better features for the same money. Who cares if the ancient Egyptian pharaohs had a super sniper mounted to their bows? Vortex and Athlon have better optics at similar prices, and I’m not biased, I like neither of these.

dark?
my SS 10x42 scopes have very good light transmission and minimal chromatic abberation. Not grade A but good. tracking is excellent. adjustable parallax. The fixed 10x power makes range estimation easy (why .mil bought a ton of them). The glass is nowhere near level of a Kalhes or Schmidt-bender, but the scope is also a fraction of the price. In terms of seeing bullet holes at 200 yards, i have a razor HD spotting scope for that. the SS 10x42 is designed to quickly range and connect at 100-1000 yards.

there are better scopes but not for $300.

as others have suggested I’d be tickled to hear your scope choices

I recently purchased an Arken 6-24x50. I was planning on writing a review tomorrow or so. From what I can tell so far, it seems to be a tremendous bang for $450.

those look solid although that’s a 32 oz piece of glass. Last I checked that’s 2 lbs without scope rings. some barrels weigh less. How does that FFP reticle work at 6x? Well it doesn’t. A 6-24x 32 oz 34 mm scope might as we’ll come with a power chair to assist the user’s mobility.

Last edited:
dark?
my SS 10x42 scopes have very good light transmission and minimal chromatic abberation. Not grade A but good. tracking is excellent. The fixed 10x power makes range estimation easy (why .mil bought a ton of them). The glass is nowhere near level of a Kalhes or Schmidt-bender, but the scope is also a fraction of the price. In terms of seeing bullet holes at 200 yards, i have a razor HD spotting scope for that. the SS 10x42 is designed to quickly range and connect at 100-1000 yards.

those look solid although that’s a 32 oz piece of glass. Last I checked that’s 2 lbs without scope rings. some barrels weigh less. How does that FFP reticle work at 6x? Well it doesn’t. A 6-24x 32 oz 34 mm scope might as we’ll come with a power chair to assist the user’s mobility.

I forgot to add, not FFP for any suggestions.

I forgot to add, not FFP for any suggestions.
while we’re on SWFA, I’ve been eyeing their 2.5-10x32 SFP ultralight scope. 9.5 oz. for a Mk12 build could be perfect. Parallax is set at 150 yards which should be fine for most uses. The model below has a 5.56 BDC reticle but they have more typical reticles.

Sorry to the vortex fans but their current production scopes blow with exception of the razor HD line. Chromatic aberration is unacceptably bad on all of their sub $1k scopes. I have a viper PST 1-6 and am underwhelmed for the price.

the leupold vx3 and vx6 are solid but their reticles are mostly old school duplex. the rest of leupold product line is incredibly difficult to understand. However I have to say leupold optical clarity is almost always very good.

im not a fan of most LPVO’s unless one is really going to drop some $$$. Even my Steiner P4xi is underwhelming compared to a holographic with a 3x magnifier. My Burris 1-5 is unimpressive. The trijicon TR24 is a decent option but I’d still take a decent red dot over it.

with Nikon now out of the market, scope selection has sort of gone to shit. the market is now 90% vortex trash with a smattering of solid budget choices none of which are readily available.

@Pelikan have you gone through Joe Rhea’s work? He has done a boatload of scope evaluations on his YouTube channel “cyclops” something or other. I’m certain the vortex excuse patrol will call him a shill but everything I’ve seen from him seemed legit.

Last edited:
dark?
my SS 10x42 scopes have very good light transmission and minimal chromatic abberation. Not grade A but good. tracking is excellent. adjustable parallax. The fixed 10x power makes range estimation easy (why .mil bought a ton of them). The glass is nowhere near level of a Kalhes or Schmidt-bender, but the scope is also a fraction of the price. In terms of seeing bullet holes at 200 yards, i have a razor HD spotting scope for that. the SS 10x42 is designed to quickly range and connect at 100-1000 yards.

The SS is 25(?) year old technology. But you’re right, at 6-8x, the reticle on the Arken is too thin to be ussable. Unlike the SS, where the lower settings… No, wait. It doesn’t have any. But at least, the zero stop… Nope, not happening either. Well, the illumination makes up for it... Or not, because it doesn’t have that either. What else makes the SS great? The mighty 42mm objective lens? The 1970ies style rear adjustment for parallax?
the weight on the Arken doesn’t bother me. It is actually almost twice the weight of the SWFA. You know why? All internals are made of metal, the tube is 34mm and the walls are probably quite thicker than on the SS, which means it’s a little overbuilt. Nightforce made its good name by overbuilding. It’s called ruggedness.
however, we can agree on Vortex being Mickey Mouse crap. Their problem is that they are trying to be everything to everybody. After reading that the OP prefers SFP, all I can come up with would be Primary Arms. Although I have to say that my PST1-6 gen2 isn’t absolutely horrible, but it’s on the chopping block and as soon as the funds for a NF NX8 are in my savings account, it’ll get axed in a hurry.

Last edited:
The SS is 25(?) year old technology. But you’re right, at 6-8x, the reticle on the Arken is too thin to be ussable. Unlike the SS, where the lower settings… No, wait. It doesn’t have any. But at least, the zero stop… Nope, not happening either. Well, the illumination makes up for it... Or not, because it doesn’t have that either. What else makes the SS great? The mighty 42mm objective lens? The 1970ies style rear adjustment for parallax?
the weight on the Arken doesn’t bother me. It is actually almost twice the weight of the SWFA. You know why? All internals are made of metal, the tube is 34mm and the walls are probably quite thicker than on the SS, which means it’s a little overbuilt. Nightforce made its good name by overbuilding. It’s called ruggedness.

cool story
so your only suggestion for the OP is a 36 oz long range scope?
OP listed his criteria in post #5

Last edited:
Nope, seeing that he doesn’t want FFP, the Arken scopes are out of the picture. lets be real here, $500 for an optic is limiting.

If he likes nothing but a 40yr old scopes then he should just get one more of what he likes.
If he wants a modern budget scope - there is Amazon, optics planet and primary arms retailers to buy from and form an option.
There’s plenty of offers out there, and if not a single one is good enough for you - then it is your problem, not a product shortage.

Plus, asking about the scope not stating a caliber and rifle/application is totally pointless anyway.

I didn't say I just liked 40 year old scopes, and I stated in the first post they were on backorder, hence the question.

Yes, I could buy multiple scopes and form an opinion. It would cost quite a bit of cash I don't have though. If only there were a large body of firearms enthusiasts, with multiple experiences and opinions I could ask......

So what is the preferred application and the caliber of the rifle it would be for? 50yds plinking, hunting, mid range target practice or a long distance precision? I presume for a budget you defined a $500 ceiling?
A 10x fits into 1-10x, 4-12x, 3-18x or an 8-34x and none of those scopes would be used in a same role.

Doesn't matter, I was asking about clarity of the glass.

You can buy a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X 40mm scope on eBay for under $250. Should tide you over until you can get what you really want.

They are basically the classic inexpensive fixed 10X SFP mildot scope (tho IIRC, the turrets use MOA clicks). Search on "Bushnell 10x40mm Tactical LRS Riflescope" - there's even a place with a pile of old stock new in box ones. Sell it for $200 when your SWFA finally shows up.

Back
Top Bottom