What local vendor?

I'm curious what you all think of this idea, WRT feasibility, legality etc...

As we all know getting "otherwise-legal things" shipped to MA is difficult at best. Since I live approximately 10 miles from the border of both VT and NH (in MA) I had thought of getting a PO box (or Mailboxes etc) just over the border and having things like ammo, which I can posses legally here (LTC-A, ALP) but which vendors balk at sending to Mass.

Now, I want to be clear that I don't intend any funny-business with actual firearms, I'm just talking about ammo etc. Also, I'm just feeling the idea out.

I would be happy to support my "local" dealer in MA, except that I don't have one. MAD closed last year, Jurek is LEO only and pretty snotty (fine, I didn't want to shop there anyway![frown]) and the nearest shop is in Easthampton, 40 minutes south of here, with a poor selection. Alternately, I could go 40 minutes east to Armor Arms, but I can't get him to return my latest email request and he has no convenient hours. I want to support the little guy-but there is no little guy. So, with gas prices where they are, it costs me nearly $20 to get to a gun store, I'm not exactly thrilled about paying a premium when I get there.

So, as long as I am not ordering anything that would be illegal for me to posses in this state, am I looking for trouble or is this a worthy solution?

R. Duke

So, as long as I am not ordering anything that would be illegal for me to posses in this state, am I looking for trouble or is this a worthy solution?

There is no problem.... a lot of people do this. A lot of us have friends on the northern side of the border that we get ammo and and other stuff from. As long as you have the appropriate FID or LTC to posess the ammo or
pre-ban magazine when you cross back over, you're all set.

Now, there is the stupid "your supposed to pay the 5% use tax" thing on that stuff, but I'll leave that one alone. [laugh]

If you're doing the MBE thing one other wallhack you might have to do is get a credit card and change the
billing addr to your NH box as well.... this way when the vendor "verifies" it they don't think you live in MA. [laugh] Or easier yet just ask the vendor if you can send them a check. NEVER tell them what you're
doing, even if it is legal. (especially if you're buying from a consent decree enema vendor like sportsmansguide
or whoever. ) They will deny the sale if they find out you are an MA inmate because they're forced to by
the stupid agreement they signed.

-Mike

Last edited:
There is no problem.... a lot of people do this. A lot of us have friends on the northern side of the border that we get ammo and and other stuff from. As long as you have the appropriate FID or LTC to posess the ammo or
pre-ban magazine when you cross back over, you're all set.

Now, there is the stupid "your supposed to pay the 5% use tax" thing on that stuff, but I'll leave that one alone. [laugh]

If you're doing the MBE thing one other wallhack you might have to do is get a credit card and change the
billing addr to your NH box as well.... this way when the vendor "verifies" it they don't think you live in MA. [laugh] Or easier yet just ask the vendor if you can send them a check. NEVER tell them what you're
doing, even if it is legal. (especially if you're buying from a consent decree enema vendor like sportsmansguide
or whoever. ) They will deny the sale if they find out you are an MA inmate because they're forced to by
the stupid agreement they signed.

-Mike

Thank you. Good stuff. Particularly the point about moving a Credit Card billing address to the box to support verification. That's the key piece I hadn't considered.

It's a great idea, but a number of these vendors (especially those that sell ammo) will not send to a PO box. They are looking for a street address. Not sure if Mailboxes etc' has an actual mailing address, but the USPS will not accept deliveries this way.

It's a great idea, but a number of these vendors (especially those that sell ammo) will not send to a PO box. They are looking for a street address. Not sure if Mailboxes etc' has an actual mailing address, but the USPS will not accept deliveries this way.

I think that's one of the selling points of the MBE operation, that you get a street address instead of just a box number, as well as someone to sign for packages. I could be wrong but I'll look into it for sure. Thanks.

Ammunition is not shippable by USPS. One big advantage of the private mailbox places is that they accept shipments from all common carriers, not just the postal service. This issue isn't so much "will not ship to PO box" but "may not ship via US Mail".

Also, if you don't mind giving up your chargeback rights, US Postal Service Money Orders are universally accepted and to the best of my knowledge do not list the issuing post office.

I think that's one of the selling points of the MBE operation, that you get a street address instead of just a box number, as well as someone to sign for packages. I could be wrong but I'll look into it for sure. Thanks.

Please post what you find out. I live right on the RI border across from Woonsocket. This could definitly work in my favor as well.

Ammo is ORM-D, and as such, can't be shipped by many sources, including a UPS Store (though you can directly from UPS). Seeing that most Mailboxes, Etc stores up my way are now UPS Stores, I'd wager they won't accept ORM-D as well.

Now, if you're 10 miles or so away from Brattleboro, just join one of the clubs up there, and get a fellow member to receive the stuff for you. Pay by Money Order, and your address becomes a non-issue.

All nice and legal, and simple, too.

Back
Top Bottom