• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What I've got back so far

Dear Charles,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control and explaining your stance on this important issue. I appreciate that you are a responsible gun owner and understand that you feel like your rights are being infringed upon by the incomprehensible acts of few.

Like you, I believe that we need to do a better job of enforcing the current laws on the books. There are steps that we can take to improve public safety without stripping away 2nd Amendment rights. One area where I think we can all agree is universal background checks for all gun purchases to close the loophole of purchasing guns from non-licensed vendors. Mandating universal background checks would help to keep firearms out of the hands of individuals that should not have them. I believe that this is a sensible proposal that a majority of the public would support.

Thank you again for your message and please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions or concerns as we begin the hearing process on the Governor's proposal.

All my best,
Mark

Mark Cusack
State Representative
5th Norfolk District

Thank you for contacting our office.

Due to the hundreds of email messages we receive each day, it is difficult to respond to each specifically in a timely manner, but please know that your email will be read and that your opinion and/or concerns are greatly appreciated.

If you are writing regarding legislation, please make sure to provide your full name, mailing address, and phone number, as well as the docket number or bill number of the piece of legislation about which you are writing. Kindly be assured that I will fully review the legislation, including the information of proponents and opponents alike. You may track the legislation at www.malegislature.gov. Thank you for your interest in the legislative process.

If you are contacting me for assistance with a particular matter, e.g. housing, taxes, a state agency or authority issue, benefits or some other constituent issue, please call my State House office at 617-722-1494 between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. We will be happy to assist you with any problem.

If you have any other questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me or call our office. Thanks again for your email.

John F. Keenan, Senator
Norfolk and Plymouth District
617-722-1494

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the recent push for common sense measures to prevent gun violence. Please know that I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on this important issue.

Our country recently faced an unimaginable tragedy in Newtown, CT, when 20 children and 6 adults were senselessly killed. This heartbreaking event came after additional tragic mass shootings such as those in Aurora (CO), Oak Creek (WI), and Tucson (AZ). Subsequently, On Wednesday, January, 16th, 2013, President Obama formally announced his proposals to curb gun violence based on suggestions offered by Vice President Biden's task force. The President's plan to prevent gun violence includes such measures as: requiring criminal background checks for all gun purchases; banning "military style" assault weapons; restricting high-capacity ammunition magazines; strengthening penalties for gun trafficking; and helping to ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need.

While I support the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens, our country has witnessed far too many mass shootings in recent years for Congress not to act. I agree that mental health care and background checks must be improved, but I also think more must be done. I believe that President Obama's plan is a comprehensive, common sense approach to help protect the lives of Americans and keep our communities safer. While we may never be able to completely prevent another of these tragedies, we can certainly take steps to make them less likely. Even though we may ultimately disagree on the path forward, I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your views on this essential issue with me and please know that I will continue to keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if you need additional assistance with this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Stephen F. Lynch
Member of Congress

I got the same response from Lynch this afternoon. Haven't received a response from my state reps as of yet.

First off their not "military style weapons" they are modern sporting rifles that function just like a hunting rifle. They only thing that is the same is the cosmetic looks. You can fire 3 rounds with a semi-auto in 1.56 seconds. In that same time you can fire 30 rounds with a fully automatic machine gun.

In Connecticut’s Uniform Crime reports, from 1994 to 2011, there were 2138 Murders in the state. 361 were committed with a knife. 139 were beaten to death with bare hands or feet. 106 were killed with blunt objects. The total number of people murdered with a rifle were 36. If you factor in Sandy Hook your total number is 63 in 18 years. This is in a state with 3.4 million people. That means the odds of you being murdered in the state of Connecticut with *ANY TYPE of RIFLE* is 1 in 971,500; the odds of being hit by lightning is 1 in 770,000. Think about that.

Back
Top Bottom