What is the "Massachusetts Pistol License Course" (LTC-020)?

Cuz

NES Member
Like the title says, what is the "Massachusetts Pistol License Course" (LTC-020) on the MA EOPS list of approved courses? Or for that matter there are a few other courses listed that I'd like to know more about. There must be some documentation somewhere that defines what a specific course is and what it covers before it gets approved. Anyone know where I can find this info?

I'd also like to know about the USPSA Safe Handgun Competitor - MA Edition course.

Thanks,
-Cuz.

Cuz,

From what I can figure out, the course contents are proprietary and owned by the person/company who got them approved and thus not publicly accessible.

The owner of these courses is free to "license" the curriculum to anyone they wish for free or for a fee.

There are a few people on NES who likely know more about this than I do, so I welcome any corrections from them.

LTC-020 was developed by Robert J. McDermott more info here http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/128792-Introduction

from MGL chapter 140 section 131p (b) "Upon application to the colonel of state police, said colonel may, in his discretion, certify as a firearms safety instructor any person who operates a firearms safety course or program which provides in its curriculum: (a) the safe use, handling and storage of firearms; (b) methods for securing and childproofing firearms; (c) the applicable laws relating to the possession, transportation and storage of firearms; and (d) knowledge of operation, potential dangers and basic competency in the ownership and usage of firearms. "

All the MA approved courses have to contain the above and be blessed by the colonel of the MA State Police.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Seems the reality is much different than I thought. I figured if a course got approved then there would have to be some sort of public record of exactly what material constituted that particular course.

Cuz,

I thought the same thing.

But as I understand it, you and I will never see a copy of the S&W, Sig, etc. curriculum for their approved courses either. They seem to be proprietary and only those orgs (or anyone they sub-license) can teach them.

It is proprietary, but not secret. The owner and the instructors who have rights are very protective of it because we are trying to maintain the integrity of the curriculum, but it is public information. If it is kept to a small group it can be monitored and controlled.

This link tells all about it.

http://www.massachusettspistollicensecourse.net/Curriculum.html

The curriculum has two options.

1. We may include rifles and shotguns.
2. We may add on a 1 to 2 hour live fire shooting component.

The way I offer my version is with the mandatory 4.5-5.0 hour classroom portion, then an an optional 1.5-2 hr range time for an extra fee. At my program, during the range portion students shoot .22 thru .45 caliber, including a SW M&P9, a Ruger Security 6 Revolver, and an SW 1911. After they integrated the rifle curruculum, I added a Saiga 7.62mm and a Remington 870 pump shotgun which students will actually shoot. I do bring a Ruger 10/22 for the less adventurous.

In order to keep the class presentation within a reasonable length, my presentation on the long arms is specific to the ones we are using on the range. My class sizes are managed too. It is easy to go over 5.0 hours if you are not vigillant of the clock.

We are aware that firearms training is evolving. As concealed carry has become so popular in the free states, and is picking up here despite the efforts of the communists, training is becoming highly professionalized. This class is for serious instructors and students. Jeff

It is proprietary, but not secret. The owner and the instructors who have rights are very protective of it because we are trying to maintain the integrity of the curriculum, but it is public information. If it is kept to a small group it can be monitored and controlled.

The curriculum has two options.

1. We may include rifles and shotguns.
2. We may add on a 1 to 2 hour live fire shooting component.

The way I offer my version is with the mandatory 4.5-5.0 hour classroom portion, then an an optional 1.5-2 hr range time for an extra fee. At my program, during the range portion students shoot .22 thru .45 caliber, including a SW M&P9, a Ruger Security 6 Revolver, and an SW 1911. After they integrated the rifle curruculum, I added a Saiga 7.62mm and a Remington 870 pump shotgun which students will actually shoot. I do bring a Ruger 10/22 for the less adventurous.

In order to keep the class presentation within a reasonable length, my presentation on the long arms is specific to the ones we are using on the range. My class sizes are managed too. It is easy to go over 5.0 hours if you are not vigillant of the clock.

We are aware that firearms training is evolving. As concealed carry has become so popular in the free states, and is picking up here despite the efforts of the communists, training is becoming highly professionalized. This class is for serious instructors and students. Jeff

This class was awesome. I highly recommend it!

Thanks Jeff,
It hadn't occured to me about the proprietary part, but I get it now. The website provided all the info I was looking for. If I decide to pursue it further I will use the contact link on the web page.
-Cuz.

Back
Top Bottom