What is the best case lube for large batches?

I am getting ready to do my first large batch of .223 with a dillon 650. What is the best lube and method for doing a 1000 case batch?

Dillon Spray lube or equivalent home made mixture of lanolin and 90% Isopropyl alcohol.

Do not use "Hornady One Shot".....If you do, I guarantee you'll stick a case in the resizing die.

It may work wonders for straight walled pistol cases but go with a better lube for rifle cases.

When I first started reloading rifle cartridges, I tried the "One Shot" and about the tenth case into the batch, one stuck in the die. I almost threw the can through the window beside the reloading bench. I have never touched the stuff since and advise people to steer clear of it at every opportunity.

Trust me....Been there done that and NEVER AGAIN!!!

I have reloaded tens of thousands of rifle rounds in .223 and .308 using Dillon Lube and never once got a stuck case.

Carbide Die's eliminate the need for lube.

Not in bottle neck cases!!! Carbide dies still require lube for them. Only in straight wall pistol cases which have a small ring of carbide, do you not need lube.
Dillon case lube is the one to use.

I think Dillon is the only one making carbide dies for bottleneck rifle cartridges and they do recommend using lube.

For high volume users, such as commercial reloaders, law enforcement agencies, and high power or service rifle competitors, we also offer .223 and .308 die sets with a full-length carbide sizing die. Lubrication is still required, but the increased scratch resistance and die longevity of carbide are of great benefit to these groups of users.

B

I have been using Midway's pump spray Minute Lube which is a lanolin/alcohol lube, since they introduced it. I put around 40 rifle cases in a baking pan, spray once, shake and spray once again.
I even use it for making wildcat brass and have never stuck a case.

Do not use "Hornady One Shot".....If you do, I guarantee you'll stick a case in the resizing die.

Either you were not using enough or Hornady changed the formula.

I have used Hornady One-Shot exclusively since I started reloading four years ago. I've made probably 5000 rounds of 223, almost 2000 of 260 Remington and several hundred of 308 and 30-08 and I have not had a single stuck case.

Frankford Arsenal Case Lube, spray it in to a large plastic bag, put the shells in and shake.

Either you were not using enough or Hornady changed the formula.

I have used Hornady One-Shot exclusively since I started reloading four years ago. I've made probably 5000 rounds of 223, almost 2000 of 260 Remington and several hundred of 308 and 30-08 and I have not had a single stuck case.

+1. I've never had a problem with it.

Used One-Shot with little luck. You need to spray a couple of times before finishing batches of 100. I use the Frankford Arsenal pump spray

I’ve never loaded .223 on my 650, but I’ve loaded more then a few handgun rounds on it using One Shot. I put the clean shells into a small box, with the bottom taped, spray once stir and repeat to get all the cases. It seems to work better if you give the sprayed cases a few minutes to dry before using.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I have had great luck with Dillon lube. For large batches take a gallon freezer bag and fill it half way with brass, take one sheet of paper towel and saturate it with the lube (not so much that it drips), and place the towel in the bag with the brass, seal and shake for a minute or so, making sure that the towel moves around to contact all of the brass. I have found that this places just the right amount of lube on the brass; I have resized over 500 cases without having to clean excess lube from the die. This tip has been brough to you courtesy of the "Blue Press".

I have never had any trouble with One Shot. You just have to read the directions and follow them. Stand the brass up and spray so it gets in the neck, then put them in a freezer bag and spray more and shake. Keep them in the bag and take out a hand full to size.

Back
Top Bottom