What have I got?

Picked this up at a antique store.

Mostly matching, dated 1917, from Lapin's book I think it is a Izhevsk Arsenal, Hex Receiver with a Type 2 sight, no import marks. Beyond that I am lost. The stock is 45" long.

IMG-20120708-01510.jpg

IMG-20120708-01509.jpg

Having trouble ID'ing the symbols, the top and bottom look like eagles with their wings raised, the one in the middle appers to be an arrow piercing something.

www.7.62x54r.net is a great resource for Nagants

Yes, its a Izhevsk M91

Pics arent clear, but Imperial eagle on receiver? Have you pulled the stock to check for a date on the receiver? Imperial Russia fell in 1915 so its likely a older receiver ( perhaps an antique[wink] ) pull the action and check the underside of the tang to see if theres a date/mfg

lack of import marks is always a great thing, as are the early style barrel bands

Last edited:
The back side of the tang is marked "1918" with the early bow and arrow. Relooking at the receiver, it appears that the Imperial Eagles were defaced and the early bow and arrow added. From my research it begining to look like a "Dragoon".

Last edited:
The back side of the tang is marked "1918" with the early bow and arrow. Relooking at the receiver, it appears that the Imperial Eagles were defaced and the early bow and arrow added. From my research it begining to look like a "Dragoon" Mosin Nagant.

Cool! pics please!

I dont have a russian m91 yet, only finn's in m91 configuration

Hows the bore?

Imperial Russia fell in 1915

Not quite...

The Treaty of Brest-Litovsk was signed on March 3, 1918 with Russia's formal exit from WWI; although they had already exited as a fighting force with the abdication of Nicholas II on March 15, 1917.

Sorry, I'm a teacher. :)

MS

Imperial Russia fell in 1915

Not quite...

The Treaty of Brest-Litovsk was signed on March 3, 1918 with Russia's formal exit from WWI; although they had already exited as a fighting force with the abdication of Nicholas II on March 15, 1917.

Sorry, I'm a teacher. :)

MS

Now it makes more sense. The rifle was originally made in imperial Russia in 1917 with the Imperial Crest, however it was reworked in 1918 at which time the Eagle Crests were defaced.

LOL, I was just actually coming back to repost that!

I knew something didnt make sense, as I remembered having a 1916 dated receiver with imperial crest. I went back to the safe to check, and it got me thinking ( not sure why I didnt just google it in the 1st place )

My apologies for the wrong year!!!

Last edited:
You may have something more than you realize. Let's get a full length pic of that gun.

My guess it that it is a Dragoon with the extremely coveted type-two handguard style. Older Dragoons are a bit on the rare side....

You may have something more than you realize. Let's get a full length pic of that gun.

My guess it that it is a Dragoon with the extremely coveted type-two handguard style. Older Dragoons are a bit on the rare side....

Ah yes, one of our real experts to the rescue! Between you and 50bmg im pretty sure just about any Nagant question can be answered....

You've got yourself a very nice non-refurbished, non-import marked, non-Finn marked Dragoon with correct handguard and solid barrel bands.

WOW!

That's not one you see every day. Please keep this one exactly as it it. Historical and correct pieces like this never need any prettying up!

You've got yourself a very nice non-refurbished, non-import marked, non-Finn marked Dragoon with correct handguard and solid barrel bands.

WOW!

That's not one you see every day. Please keep this one exactly as it it. Historical and correct pieces like this never need any prettying up!

If Martin is impressed, you have a winner there.

Congrats.

Note the notched upper handguard! Need more pics...this looks very interesting. The stock is appears to be an updated to the 91/30 style however it has the older upper handguard which looks trimmed to fit which was an early type.

Last edited:
Looks to be a legit Dragoon stock to me, Fred. Check the finger groove configuration as it is cut in relation to the crossbolt. Here are the pics of:

1. the late Dragoon stock - http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/0002.jpg

2. the pre-war M91/30 stock - http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/0003.jpg

The M91/30 finger groove is wider, shorter in length, and is cut behind the crossbolt. The one above is narrow, longer and has no relief behind the crossbolt.

But without it in hand, I'm not 100% sure. I am positive that this is an excellent specimen.

You are correct Matt, now that we have more pictures it has all the correct features.

You have a VERY nice collector piece there. Congratulations.

See folks, good things do happen when you see something, like it and just go for it. You can find yourself with a real gem.

I am selling off much of my Russian collection. Any idea what I should ask for the Dragoon?

Thanks!

WOW!

Does this have matching numbers in the original font? If so, it's big money.

If it has force match or mismatched numbers, it is still more valuable than the average Mosin Nagant. Here is the most recent sale of a non-updated, non-Finned and non-matching Dragoon.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=546794657

Yours is worth a little more, with the rarer handguard.

And the bolt font is different from the barrel, so it is a force match. No biggie. Still, it could be a $500-ish gun to the right buyer.

When you have a piece that is not your everyday Mosin refub I would not be so quick to sell it.

Back
Top Bottom