What happens to a Trust when changing state of residence?

So, I think its finally time to just into the NFA game.... No green card, so no MG. Looking to do a SBR.

I own property in NH and I "could" just build a pistol and leave in in NH but that's a pain in the ass...

So, SBR it is. I've read about 199trust.com and like that route but I'm just not sure of the whole process, and what happens to any forearms in the trust when I finally able to build on my land and make the move to NH.

Anyone have a link to a good start to finish step by step of forming a trust and filling all the paperwork?

drb

nothing happens. trust is established, trust is done.

you can change it if you want but all my NFA shit was purchased in NH with a trust that i established in MA before i moved.

as for any NFA items you get in MA before you move, you need to notify the ATF with a 5320 and state that it's a permanent relocation.

It's best to amend your trust when you move to a different state, but it's by no means a requirement. Also, if you're still looking for a form-based NFA trust, send me a PM. I'm developing my own NFA trust form site and I need beta testers.

Was wondering this myself. Have a form 1 lower but will be moving to either NH or VT soon.

if it's already registered and you have a stamp you will need to do a 5320 for permanent relocation. must be approved before you take the item across state lines. if it's in process and you move they will kick it back for corrections because the information is no longer correct.

nothing happens. trust is established, trust is done.

you can change it if you want but all my NFA shit was purchased in NH with a trust that i established in MA before i moved.

as for any NFA items you get in MA before you move, you need to notify the ATF with a 5320 and state that it's a permanent relocation.

5320 is not required for Silencers and AOWs.

Are there any upkeep fees or anything similar when owning a trust? Anything one should be aware of that may come up down the road? I'm totally ignorant on the topic. I saw the $60 thing IVIAX posted and it's tempting for sbr builds down the road but didn't want to dirty up that thread.

This is the beauty of a trust.

No registration fees.

No yearly fees.

In fact, in most cases, nobody needs to even know about a trust until you need them to. It is completely under the radar.

The exception is if you set up an irrevocable trust (vs a revocable trust, which most gun trusts are). An irrevocable trust requires that you get a TIN from the IRS.

Don

Back
Top Bottom