• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What does "The bore is frosty" on an old rifle mean?

Thinking to get older [FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]military rifles, seller indicated "[/FONT]"The bore is frosty" does it mean the rifling is bad?

It means that there is some discoloration or "frosting" of the surface of the steel. Its not shiny, but has a mottled look.

Its not pitted. Its not rusty. Its frosted.

I'm not doing well explaining this. It describes a mild surface roughness.

Frosty bore:
SP1911j-1.jpg

It means that there is some discoloration or "frosting" of the surface of the steel. Its not shiny, but has a mottled look.

Its not pitted. Its not rusty. Its frosted.

I'm not doing well explaining this. It describes a mild surface roughness.

No , you hit it right on the head.

from a mil surp message board

Going back to the bore, if you're looking at used long arms at a store or show, insist on having the bore dry-patched - sometimes oil can hide a lot. Pitting comes in two types; the 'frosty' kind that consists of thousands of small pits, giving the bore a darker, less bright appearance. If the rifling is distinct, such barrels will usually shoot to mil-spec, and typically the pitting fills up with copper or lead. The other kind of pits are large, kind of like waterspots on a car. These typically will polish up pretty well, and the military manuals had an acceptance formula for such pitting. However, dark, pitted barrels are less than desirable. I call a mirror bore with good rifling 'good', and anything less than that 'poor'. I have a 1918 M1911 pistol with a dark, frosty bore that shoots fine. I only shot it on one occasion to verify function, then I cleaned it up and put it away. This is the picture when i got it, and it actually did clean up a little, but this is your basic frosted bore.

SP1911j-1.jpg

It's not unusual for a frosty , crusty , worn bore to shoot "well".
Looking down a rifle barrel won't tell you much.
You really need to have a bore scope put down the tube.
I can show you several barrels that if you look down them with just your eye and a light you would say they are nice....put a scope down them ...yuk. although they actually shoot well.
Frosted is about normal for most surplus guns then it goes down hill from there.

It's not unusual for a frosty , crusty , worn bore to shoot "well".
I can show you several barrels that if you look down them with just your eye and a light you would say they are nice....put a scope down them ...yuk. although they actually shoot well..

I'm getting a bit off topic, but even with new Savages, its not unusual for their barrels to show a fair amount of "button chatter" with an ugly inside. Then miraculously they shoot sub-moa.

I'm getting a bit off topic, but even with new Savages, its not unusual for their barrels to show a fair amount of "button chatter" with an ugly inside. Then miraculously they shoot sub-moa.

My 1903a3 the lands look like they have rail road ties on them when viewed with a 90' bore scope.

If the frost is consistent in the bareel its going to be even on its impact to the bullet. It might transfer drag, but shouldn't interfere with accuracy outside maybe a wee bit of a drop from extra drag.

Frosty or even pitted bores can still shoot fine. I have a Mosin polish m44 with a sewer pipe bore and it shoots a better group than my m38 that has a good bore.

Back
Top Bottom