What brand of Chronograph do you use and would you recommend it to a Chrono newbie?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I want to start expanding my reloading to include a number of different pistol and rifle calibers, but since I don't own a Chrono I never know exactly how my rounds are performing. I think it's time to start investing in a Chronograph, but have no idea of what I'd be looking for. With that said I'm looking for any recommendations that will help me in this purchase.

Thanks

I recommend the CED M2.

http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object29

It's an upgraded version of their popular Millenium one which I think was the official chrono for USPSA.

It's small, light, easy to setup, accurate, uses USB, and the software is easy to use.

I bought a package deal with everything you need from a guy down in TN but I can't find the page. I think it ran slightly over $200.

I'll take a look.

I have a Chrony Masturbator, no wait I think that’s a Chrony Master Beta. Any way it’s not so easy to use if you want to do anything other then write down each velocity. May be the newer ones are better that way.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I bought a Competition Electronics chrono for $175 twenty years ago and it is still going strong. The current version of this model is available for $100 from the big dealers like Midway. No frills but very reliable and the MFR has great customer support.

One of the things that has amazed me about chronos is that I have heard very few complaints about the various models. Recently, however, an experienced shooter and reloader whose opinion I respect voiced complaints about the accuracy of his Chrony. Based on this report, I would avoid the Chrony.

I have a Chrony Masturbator, no wait I think that’s a Chrony Master Beta. Any way it’s not so easy to use if you want to do anything other then write down each velocity. May be the newer ones are better that way.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I also own a $2 calculator that does all the calculations I desire. I understand that's a $175 add-on to most chronies.

I bought a Competition Electronics chrono for $175 twenty years ago and it is still going strong. The current version of this model is available for $100 from the big dealers like Midway. No frills but very reliable and the MFR has great customer support.

One of the things that has amazed me about chronos is that I have heard very few complaints about the various models. Recently, however, an experienced shooter and reloader whose opinion I respect voiced complaints about the accuracy of his Chrony. Based on this report, I would avoid the Chrony.

My loads are right in line across my $80 Chrony as they are across the more "expensive" models guys bring to our USPSA matches. It just boils down to whether you want to do the math or have your machine do it for you.

I'd get one with skyscreens that have a small light. If you ever go to the range to do chronographing and it is your only day off in a long time and you need to get the measurements, and the light is not cooperating, it is a real pain.

B

I have a Beta Master Shooting Chrony (Blue model) that I like a lot. I bought it direct from shooting chrony because they were the only ones that had the light kit in stock. I only use it indoors so the light kit is a must. I also paid them and extra $20 to upgrade the memory to 1000 shots. That way I can shoot up to 100 strings of 10 shots each without losing any data. That way at the range I only record the string # in a notebook next to the loads I am testing. Makes it very easy to chrono 3 different calibers with 4 loads in each caliber and shoot 4 or 5 strings of 10 shots with each load to get a decent average. It does make for an action packed range session, but then I don't have to take the chrono out for a while after that.

-Cuz.

I also own a $2 calculator that does all the calculations I desire. I understand that's a $175 add-on to most chronies.

My loads are right in line across my $80 Chrony as they are across the more "expensive" models guys bring to our USPSA matches. It just boils down to whether you want to do the math or have your machine do it for you.

The only reason I mentioned this complaint is that it is the first I have heard about a chrono and the owner was an extremely experienced shooter and reloader. His problem was that his chrony was not all tht accurate when compared with other makes.

I also own a $2 calculator that does all the calculations I desire. I understand that's a $175 add-on to most chronies.---TonyD
I don’t remember what I paid for my chronograph but the Chrony Beta Master is listed at $129.99 on the Midway web site.

It measures and retains in memory the high, low and average velocities as well as the extreme spread and standard deviation of multiple strings. It also has a printer option if you want to keep a hard copy library of your results. That could be a lot of writing and key punching.

Still, for me, the Beta Master is a pain to use. A friend tells me it will stop a .45ACP.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
Just to complicate things a bit further by throwing another brand name out . . . I've had a PACT Model 1 (they're now listing the Model 1 XP) for a number of years and it works perfectly. The skyscreens never (well, OK, very very rarely) fail to see even a little 52 grain bullet moving at around 3800 fps out of my .22-250.

I have a PACT scale I used for reloading and it was nothing but problems for me. I sent it back twice and it's still not working right. The second time I sent it back they lost it in their factory and took three months and 5 phone calls to get it back. I'll definitely stay away from a PACT Chrono

I have a Chrony (edited for the sake of the children), no wait I think that’s a Chrony Master Beta. Any way it’s not so easy to use if you want to do anything other then write down each velocity. May be the newer ones are better that way.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I have the same one, and it works OK.

I have the same one, and it works OK.---Cross-X
Mine works too and it gives me the information I need although I’ve never checked its algorithms for accuracy.

My problem with the unit is that I find the remote display difficult to use. It’s not instinctive, its interface is clumsy and pressing what I believe to be the same sequence of keys does not give me the same results. Mine also drops shots.

It is not a bad unit at all but I would be much happier with it were it easier to use.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I have a PACT scale I used for reloading and it was nothing but problems for me. I sent it back twice and it's still not working right. The second time I sent it back they lost it in their factory and took three months and 5 phone calls to get it back. I'll definitely stay away from a PACT Chrono

Your experience is similar to mine, only I had problems with one of their timers. They refused to even look at the timer unless I agreed to pay by the hour (this was after they sat on it for a couple of months and did nothing). They eventually offered to sell me a new timer at a SLIGHT discount. I gave up and bought a Competition Electronics timer for less money. About ten years later the Competition Electronics timer also failed. The fixed it for $35, including shipping.

Stay away from PACT products; their customer service sucks.

Stay away from PACT products; their customer service sucks.

I'm sorry to hear their service has apparently gone downhill. I've had my PACT chrono for about 10 years. Shortly after I bought it one of the skyscreens stopped working and they replaced it promptly at no charge. It's worked flawlessly ever since. That's the only need I've had for their customer service and I had no complaints with how they handled things.

I just had them rebuild a powder dribbler thing that I got from them years ago. The fix took a lot of time. Like six weeks.

An update- I just got my CED ProChrono Digital Chrono the other day. It was as easy to use as possible. Didn't hardly have to read much to figure it out.

FWIW it will store 9 strings of up to 99 shots each. It remembers this data even after turning it off.

I'm sorry to hear their service has apparently gone downhill. I've had my PACT chrono for about 10 years. Shortly after I bought it one of the skyscreens stopped working and they replaced it promptly at no charge. It's worked flawlessly ever since. That's the only need I've had for their customer service and I had no complaints with how they handled things.

Downhill? I bought one of their original timers; the battery went dead and refused to recharge. I took me over a month to get a return call. Great customer service on a $375 timer. I'm sure they will make good on a relatively cheap part, but they refused to stand behind a timer that I paid a lot of money for. In their own words "It lasted for seven years, what more do you expect?" I expected a lot more from a $375 timer.

Avoid PACT products their customer service sucks.

Back
Top Bottom