• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

West Lebanon, NH Appleseed 5/16-17 2009

Range: GRAFTON COUNTY FISH & GAME

Address:
153 Trues Brook Rd., West Lebanon, NH, 03766

When: May 16 & 17, 2009

Range Fee: $10 per day; Active military exempt; 16 and under, $5

Camping available: Not on site, camping nearby at KOA Kampgrounds
3700 Woodstock Rd, White River Jct., VT
Website | 802-296-6711 (5.79 miles away)

Hotels:

Baymont Inn
45 Airport Rd, West Lebanon, NH
603-298-8888 (2.04 miles away)

Fireside Inn & Suites
25 Airport Rd # 1, West Lebanon, NH
Website | 603-298-5900 (2.09 miles away)

Restaurants ( • = Recommended)

• Koto Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi (Pricy, but top notch—best in area!)
288 Plainfield Rd/NH-12A, West Lebanon, NH
603-298-2925 (1.94 miles away)

Applebee's Neighborhood Grill
280 Plainfield Rd/NH-12A, West Lebanon, NH
Website | 603-298-8608 (1.97 miles away)

• Weathervane Seafood Restaurant
267 NH-12A, West Lebanon, NH
Website | 603-298-7805 (2.02 miles away)

Seven Barrel Brew Pub (Great microbrews, food is so-so)
5 Airport Rd, West Lebanon, NH
603-298-5566 (2.16 miles away)

Benning St Bar & Grill (Sports bar & grill)
66 Benning St, West Lebanon, NH
Website | 603-298-6688 (2.29 miles away)

• Ninety Nine Restaurant & Pub (Optimum quality & value)
10 Benning St, West Lebanon, NH
Website | 603-298-6991 (2.34 miles away)

Directions:

I-89 to West Lebanon, NH, Exit 20; Turn SOUTH on NH-12A; Go 1.66 miles; Turn LEFT onto Trues Brook Rd.; Go 1.41 miles; Turn LEFT into Grafton County Fish & Game; Bear RIGHT at the fork. MapQuest http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=W...3.600237&longitude=-72.305689&geocode=ADDRESS

GPS:
Latitude: N43° 35.9370' Longitude: W72° 18.2407'

State Laws to be aware of: Check State Laws at http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

Misc:
This is a RIMFIRE ONLY event, 25 meter only. Lunch in clubhouse available for modest fee (kitchen available).

For more Information Contact:
John Barnes at 888-221-8628 or [email protected]

Registration Link:
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/304728451

Flyers available here:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6124.0

NEW "SMITHY" FOR WEST LEBANON SHOOT

The West Lebanon shoot will be the inauguration of our newly-created "Smithy" position.

Tony Stehlik, and accomplished gunsmith, will be manning a portable gunsmith bench with all the accouterments behind the center of the line. For this shoot he will sell and install principally slings and sling parts. He will also make repairs.

In time, by the shoot in Pelham, NH, he will have a larger inventory, including all the LTR parts, comb and stock extenders, sight adjustment tools, and appropriate ammo in .22LR, .223, and .308. He'll be able to modify the stock part for the 10/22 auto bolt release in minutes. And add quick mag releases on the spot.

It looks like Larry at Tech-sights will grant him a dealership, so eventually he'll be able to sell AND INSTALL Tech-Sights at a discount right at the shoots!

This should allow Appleseed instructors to spend more time teaching skills and eventually will result in more Riflemen per shoot, because we'll solve all the equipment problems earlier in the process.

If you think you may need Tony's services, there's one more thing to add to your "What to Bring" list: cash. He's not some slick gun dealer who'll take credit cards. I'll bet he'll take .999 silver, though.

I'll be there!! Sat only..

I'll be using my 10/22 Ruger but I'll have my Garand and Carbine as back up...

This is at my club...do I need to still pay the $10 range fee??

WAIVING THE RANGE FEE?

I'll be there!! Sat only..
This is at my club...do I need to still pay the $10 range fee??

That's up to the club. To waive the range fee, have them send me an email to that effect ([email protected]), and be sure to bring this year's club membership card to show to Lois, the administrator who'll be signing you in.

How much ammo do I need to bring for Saturday only? is 200 rounds enough?? Trying to decide between using my M1 Garand or 10/22. Obvioulsy the 10/22 is much cheaper to shoot. I also have an M1 Carbine but I'm having trouble getting ammo.

Any advice is appreciated.

Looks like using my M1 is out...I only have about 250 Rounds on hand and not time ( or money) to buy more Military spec ammo. Looks like the trusty 10/22 is the weapon of choice.

Bring the M1 to use on Sunday - you can at least get in SOME practice with it. Depending on the shoot you're attending, you can do some long range shooting with it, too.

Bring the M1 to use on Sunday - you can at least get in SOME practice with it. Depending on the shoot you're attending, you can do some long range shooting with it, too.

Thanks unfortunately I didn't sign up for Sunday....I wasn't sure if I'm going to be available. Maybe if they'll let me I can sign up Saturday for Sunday because I'll know by then if I free or not.

200 is a little on the low side for Saturday.

250 is closer to the edge, but 300 would be safe.

Double that for Sunday. Between the two days, about 750 rounds are fired.

How much ammo do I need to bring for Saturday only? is 200 rounds enough?? Trying to decide between using my M1 Garand or 10/22. Obvioulsy the 10/22 is much cheaper to shoot. I also have an M1 Carbine but I'm having trouble getting ammo.

Any advice is appreciated.

In New England we shoot an average of 400 rounds per day, less on the first day and more on the second day.

Two boxes of 500 rounds should do the job. The best ammo for the Ruger 10/22 is Federal Bulk #750 (Wal-Mart) or #745 Champion Target. They are both exactly the same cartridge, except that #750 is cheaper. The 10/22 will fire this ammo more reliably than most others all day long.

Towards the end of the day, after 300-400 rounds, you may need to clean your rifle regardless of which ammo you choose, so bring your bore snake, some cleaner, and a toothbrush for quick cleans between courses of fire.

Just checked Walmart and Kmart Sold out of .22 ammo...I have a partial box of Federal bulk not sure how much is in there....I may be screwed...

Just checked Walmart and Kmart Sold out of .22 ammo...I have a partial box of Federal bulk not sure how much is in there....I may be screwed...

Call Cabela's (not available online) (800-237-8888) and order Item # 02780574. It is four 525-round bulk boxes (2100 rounds) of Federal 22 LR Federal Champion Target #745 and includes Cabela's plastic dry ammo storage box (nice box--I now have two, and they have grooves for stacking). My total was around $93 with shipping ($.044 a round). Good luck!

If you don't have any ammo, come anyway. "Smithy" will have the same ammo or Blazer to sell, but it won't be as cheap. Now that we have "Smithy" to sell and install everything from ammo to slings, bring cash. He might take silver, too.

Last edited:
Thanks I found 2 bricks of Federal (500) for about $21 each. Not bad, but not as cheap as Wallyworld which is still out. So that brings me up to about 1400 rounds...I think that should be enough for one day...I hope :)

WEST LEBANON NOT SOLD OUT ON SUNDAY!

is this event totally sold out?

There are 4 available slots on Sunday, but you have to walk-on. Be there early if you want those slots!

You'll have missed the instruction on Saturday, but we have instructors all ready and willing to get you individually up to speed with the others.

John Barnes
Shoot Boss

Last edited:
PELHAM MAY NOT BE SOLD OUT SUNDAY

that kinda stinks...i can only make saturday...guess i will have to catch up with you guys in pelham in a couple weeks.

I'm not Shoot Boss for that one, but I'll bet there will be some Sunday slots for walk-ons only at Pelham, just like West Lebanon.

Check with Thor over on the Appleseed forum on Thursday night/Friday before the shoot. Not sure if he's on NES. You may have to join the Appleseed forum, which takes a couple of days.

Last edited:
WEST LEBANON IS NO LONGER SOLD OUT

that kinda stinks...i can only make saturday...guess i will have to catch up with you guys in pelham in a couple weeks.

UPDATE -- There are TWO slots available for Saturday and FOUR available for Sunday. EventBrite closes 24 Hr. before a shoot, so these are walk-ons only.

Be there early or PM me to get on the wait list. Walk-ons cost $50 cash for one day, and another $30 for the second day.

Proctor is also open, though the price should be the same.

Last edited:
WEST LEBANON, NH, MAY 16-17, 2009, AFTER ACTION REPORT

The West Lebanon shoot was the first Appleseed shoot to take place at the Grafton County Fish & Game Club on their covered, 100 yd. centerfire range. The club's representatives very much liked what they saw and will work now to bring us back for a fall shoot.

The club's Vice President was so impressed with Appleseed's skill and professionalism and the nature of the program that he wants to sign up himself for the next shoot!

The weather was cool, wet, and threatening to rain most of the weekend.

The Appleseed instructor staff were mostly new to each other but worked together fantastically. The instructors on hand were:
  • John (Firewall99) - Shoot Boss
  • Chris (Crak)
  • Bill (Freestater)
  • Jonathon (jj-22)
  • Mark (Brother Mark)
  • Andy (Andy in NH)
  • Len (LKB3rd)

For the first time ever in an Appleseed shoot, we had our own independent Smithy on hand for Saturday. Smithy (His Northeastshooters forum name is "tonys.") did an excellent job outfitting the shooters with slings and adjusting scopes. He performed all installations and adjustments for free! (I don't know how long that will last, but get'em while they're hot.)

Smithy took one shooter from a brand new, out of the box 10/22 to an almost complete LTR in about half an hour. He installed new studs, loops, and an M1 Garand sling. He even disassembled the action and modified the auto bolt release right on the spot. All for the cost of the hardware! But for the lack of sufficient cash, this shooter could have had the "Full Monty" when she later decided between Tech-sights or a scope. Smithy had both on hand for about the same price ($50-55). Shooters need to remind themselves to bring some extra cash for equipment issues.

We had 18 shooters on Saturday and 11 shooters on Sunday.

We made three Riflemen for a 17% rate. One shooter made his Rifleman for the second time and stepped up to become an Instructor in Training (IIT). Looks like a New Englander to me.

The shooters who stuck it out the next day all made remarkable progress. The shooter with the out-of-the-box 10/22 managed to go from NO hits on the first Redcoat and near total frustration to qualifying as Marksman by the end of Sunday. This was in spite of a cross-eye dominance issue which we eventually ameliorated. She was so happy and amazed, that I almost cried. This is what we live for. We gave her a "Most Improved" award. Next time she'll have a scope and will no doubt make Rifleman.

And that's the way it was on May 16-17, 2009.

Back
Top Bottom