Weapons drawn at AFS

I think he is referring to the chief of police taking his LTC away, but being from RI he may not have one therefore there may be nothing to take away... though he is on private property he is in a public place and hopefully that doesn't open up a whole new can of worms for the instructor.

Regardless of the circumstances..... the firearm of the instructor should not have left the holster... period.

There is no excusing the drawing of the firearm even if pointed at the wall.

The only debate should be whether that rises to a criminal offense. The determination of that will be in the specifics of what was said between the two and the intent of the instructor. We cannot comment on this as none of us were there.

I don't buy this statement one bit as it buys into the fear that the anti's/law enforcement instill on gun owners. A gun isn't an evil thing and doesn't need to be "locked up" in your holster only to be removed at the end of the day. I get questions/comments/compliments on my carry gun quite often and it comes out for a show and tell to not only my friends but also some others that have never handled a firearm and are curious (of course it gets cleared before leaving my posession). Does that make me an irresponsible person? Maybe in the eyes of MA LE and anti's. Have I ever practiced drawing my carry gun and point it at the wall or image on the TV? Of course I have and I'm sure I'm not alone. Is it wrong or "taboo"? Of course not. The statement below is borderline dangerous because where does it stop? You can say that under no circumstances should you put your car key in the ignition once you have 1 drink out at Applebee's as the effects of alcohol are proven to alter timing/judgement even after only 1 drink.

Regardless of the circumstances..... the firearm of the instructor should not have left the holster... period.

There is no excusing the drawing of the firearm even if pointed at the wall.

The only debate should be whether that rises to a criminal offense. The determination of that will be in the specifics of what was said between the two and the intent of the instructor. We cannot comment on this as none of us were there.

First and foremost... I do not know who is right or wrong in this situation. I was not there.

If a gun was removed from a holster, and a disagreement of any sort was underway, that IMHO is really bad form. There is a big difference between removing a firearm to show an interested party, and removing it when there is a difference of opinion underway.

If I were facing the guy who pulled the weapon during a disagreement, how do I know if it is loaded or not? How do I know what his intentions are? This has the potential to escalate to an ugly place.

I think it is important to remember the context here.

Best,

Rich

I don't buy this statement one bit as it buys into the fear that the anti's/law enforcement instill on gun owners. A gun isn't an evil thing and doesn't need to be "locked up" in your holster only to be removed at the end of the day. I get questions/comments/compliments on my carry gun quite often and it comes out for a show and tell to not only my friends but also some others that have never handled a firearm and are curious (of course it gets cleared before leaving my posession). Does that make me an irresponsible person? Maybe in the eyes of MA LE and anti's. Have I ever practiced drawing my carry gun and point it at the wall or image on the TV? Of course I have and I'm sure I'm not alone. Is it wrong or "taboo"? Of course not. The statement below is borderline dangerous because where does it stop? You can say that under no circumstances should you put your car key in the ignition once you have 1 drink out at Applebee's as the effects of alcohol are proven to alter timing/judgement even after only 1 drink.

Ummmm... I never said a handgun should never be removed from a holster or that it is taboo to practice drawing a handgun and pointing it at a wall.

I was referencing this situation. [rolleyes][rolleyes]

Follow along..please

pay attention, and it would behoove people to exercise a little caution when dealing with firearms and how things can be construed, but you knew that [slap]

If a gun was removed from a holster, and a disagreement of any sort was underway, that IMHO is really bad form. There is a big difference between removing a firearm to show an interested party, and removing it when there is a difference of opinion underway.

Exactly. There's a lot of testosterone and machismo at gun ranges anyway, and when the time comes for correction, appearing to "escalate" things in any way is a very bad idea IMO.

Too new to render a Judgement here, especially without knowing all the facts. But the Basic rule of "Never point your gun at something your not willing to Competely destroy" comes into play here. And as a "Newbie" I personally would apply this same rule to pulling out a loaded weapon. If I have to pull it out, I'm not teaching someone a lesson. I'm defending my life and will do whatever it takes to Defend it.

But thats just me.

I was going to ask the same thing. He should be on shortly pleading his case and swearing he's not a dumbass.

If it was me, even if I was totally innocent I'd keep my mouth shut til the charges were dropped or I was acquitted.

If he shows up to plead his case here he really IS a dumbass.

Ranges I've been to don't allow policing of brass while the range is hot just for these reasons. It's too easy to get carried away and go over the line or get too close to people while they're shooting.

I've been to several ranges that don't allow you to brass up. I'm guessing similar situations have happened before.

I agree with others, I need more info on who screwed up first. Either way, he blew his argument IF he drew down on the other guy.

Back
Top Bottom