Weak hand grip

I bought a new gun, Glock 17, and my 1st hundred rounds at 10 yards are about 4 inches to the left. Unlike my golf clubs, I think the issue might be me. I have read a ton of good info here but I could use a little help on where to place my left hand. From what I have read it sounds like my left hand is the problem but correct me if I'm wrong. I put my left index finger on the trigger guard and tuck my thumb under my right hand thumb. I try to clamp down on my right hand but it still feels like the left hand is just along for the ride. Any advice would be appreciated.

I was taught to use my left hand to squeeze over my right.. My right hand is gripping the gun, and trigger control.. The left hand is actually clamped down over the right.. I can't explain it right, but you should be squeezing harder with your left hand..

Some general advice:

- Like golf squeezing too hard is just as bad as a loose grip. You want a comfortable but firm grip.
- Make sure you have the entire grip "painted" with your two hands--you shouldn't be able to see the grip at all. Often people have a gap where the palms (closest to your wrists) meet at the but of the gun. If you're a righty and you have that gap the pistol will generally go down to the left.
-Their are many grip variations but I use the parallel thumbs: thumbs are side-by-side. As a righty, the left index finger supports the bottom of the trigger guard.

hope this helps

I always had the very same results and still do sometimes. That is my shots go low and left slightly. I switched to the parallel thumbs grip, and the part about a gap in your palm is important they said above. It took most of the problem away. The rest was that I was wrapping my trigger finger around the trigger. Your trigger should be directly on the pad of your finger. Most people stick their finger too far through the trigger guard and have the joint of their finger resting on the trigger. The last thing was that I was jerking the trigger ever so slightly without even knowing it. Just a steady squeeeeeeeeze and POW! You shouldn't know when it is going to fire. I am no expert by any means. This is just what helped me out.

Some general advice:

- Like golf squeezing too hard is just as bad as a loose grip. You want a comfortable but firm grip.
- Make sure you have the entire grip "painted" with your two hands--you shouldn't be able to see the grip at all. Often people have a gap where the palms (closest to your wrists) meet at the but of the gun. If you're a righty and you have that gap the pistol will generally go down to the left.
-Their are many grip variations but I use the parallel thumbs: thumbs are side-by-side. As a righty, the left index finger supports the bottom of the trigger guard.

hope this helps

Yea I don't really know if accuracy would be helped by squeezing at all. I have a firm grip but if I were to actually squeeze onto it, I'm sure I would lose accuracy

An accuracy problem is going to be the result of either bad sight alignment and/or trigger control. A good relaxed grip should help you control both of those though!

The concept that helped me the most for my weak hand grip was placing my thumb first on the frame, parallel to the slide. And then placing my fingers over my strong hand instead of vice versa.

Just a continuation of the Todd Jarrett video, these are some good vids to see correct grip at different angles...

James Yeager at Tactical Reponse has good video on grip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Zioo5ixw4

And another one by "Shooting Coach"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQgLmQl1zDw

+1 on diagnostic shooting chart. Also dry fire practice will help over time(ie wall drill).

with Snap Caps

David (and other lefties)

Use the chart, but reverse the left and right shooting errors

Thanks, I thought so as far as swaping sides.

I found some at this site: http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

Left Hand: http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/TargetLeftHanded.pdf

Right Hand: http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/TargetRightHanded.pdf

Thanks again

It's funny I'm so use to stick on targets now I allmost never use paper targets now, it's to hard to tape or staple them on [grin] [grin] [grin]

Last edited:
It's funny I'm so use to stick on targets now I allmost never use paper targets now, it's to hard to tape or staple them on [grin] [grin] [grin]

Get yourself a can of spray adhesive. Jim Conway tipped me to that (I think he got it from one of the traveling instructors he brought to NE), and it works great.

Thanks for the link, it's an excellent article. It's a great overview of how grip technique has gotten to where it is today. The only (minor)thing I take issue with is the idea that thumbs forward is too hard for a beginner. That was how I was taught straight out of the gate and I haven't had any issues with it.

Get yourself a can of spray adhesive. Jim Conway tipped me to that (I think he got it from one of the traveling instructors he brought to NE), and it works great.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

I was saying it more as a joke. I don't use paper ones that much any more because the stick-on ones are so easy to use.

[grin]

Back
Top Bottom