Wallum Lake RGC

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to make a thread for the people that are members of Wallum Lake Rod and Gun Club in Burrillville, RI, or who have questions about the club.

I joined in June 2012, and I love it there. Only 1 of 2 clubs in RI with a 200 yard rifle range, and plenty of trap and skeet fields.

I agree, it is a very nice facility. A buddy of mine is a member there, and has taken me a few times. We also shot 5 stand there a couple of times as well. I was looking into joining, but its a bit of a ride for me. I ended up joining Tiverton instead, but if anyone here is wondering about Wallum , its definitely worth checking out.

I I ended up joining Tiverton instead, but if anyone here is wondering about Wallum , its definitely worth checking out.

I was a member at Tiverton for a bit, but I left because they changed the rules so that you could only shoot at the rifle range with a rangemaster present. I wanted to go shooting on Thanksgiving, and the rangemaster wasn't there. I called him and was told "the range is closed". Why would you close the range on a day that people have off and would want to go shooting?

It's 5 mins from my house but I am not a member. I was told that in order to apply for membership I had to have the state (MA) run a background check ( $25 if I remember correctly ) and submit with my app, this, despite the fact I am a MA LTC A holder. Not interested in further padding the MA coffers to join a club. if in the future they decide to accept MA LTC's as the background we will definitely look into joining.

I was a member at Tiverton for a bit, but I left because they changed the rules so that you could only shoot at the rifle range with a rangemaster present. I wanted to go shooting on Thanksgiving, and the rangemaster wasn't there. I called him and was told "the range is closed". Why would you close the range on a day that people have off and would want to go shooting?
From what I understand, there will be a key card system in place for the new range very soon. I think they are pulling the wires as we speak. Once that is in place, you will be able to go whenever you want, range officer or not. However, on holidays, I believe it has something to do with the town not letting it open, just as the town regulates the shooting times.

Did someone tell you that it had to be a Mass background check? You would be applying to a Rhode Island club. The Rhode Island Attorney General's Office only charges $5 and its done right in front of you.

Also, I know the background check is becoming more normal for gun club applications. My dad was a member at Narragansett Gun Club, and they had him get a background check too.

Last edited:
It's 5 mins from my house but I am not a member. I was told that in order to apply for membership I had to have the state (MA) run a background check ( $25 if I remember correctly ) and submit with my app, this, despite the fact I am a MA LTC A holder. Not interested in further padding the MA coffers to join a club. if in the future they decide to accept MA LTC's as the background we will definitely look into joining.

$25 seems like a foolish reason not to join a club. You should go online to the RI Attorney General and request a BCI check. They will charge your credit card $5 and mail you the results. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Wallum Lake is a great club. I'm not a member there, but I shoot there a lot and know quite a few members. If it was closer to me I'd join in a minute.

-Cuz.

The person I was in contact with told me to go through MA.

The $25 to the state plus the PIA of the MA BCI process plus the much higher membership fee was enough to drive me away for the time being.

Is there a reason a valid MA LTC is not sufficient a background check as it is for other clubs ? I asked, and never got a response.

Is there a reason a valid MA LTC is not sufficient a background check as it is for other clubs ? I asked, and never got a response.

The BCI check that RI does is instant, up to date, and only shows Rhode Island records. Meaning I could have an indecent exposure in Alaska 5 years ago, and it would not appear on the RI BCI.

I don't know how Mass licenses work, so I can't say.

If you like, PM me. I keep in contact with the chair of the membership committee, and I will be at the January meeting. I could ask him for you, or you could email/call him.

I'm 5 minutes up the road from the Wallum Lake Club. I've stopped in a few times and the folks I met there were very warm and inviting. I've had intentions of joining with my two boys for almost a year now. Here's how my story goes... I went to my local PD (Douglas, MA) with the form from the Wallum Lake club. They (Douglas PD) told me I needed to go to the MA AG and gave me a form to send in. I tried to "out smart" the system and went to the North Smithfield, RI PD. I asked if they could do the background check and fill out my club form. They said, "sure." However, when they found out I was not a resident of that town, they stated they only did background checks for for North Smithfield residents. The officer suggested I go to Burrillville PD since the club is in their town. So, I went to Burrillville, RI PD only to hear they no longer do them and they need to go to the state (RI). WTF.

Ok, back to MA... I filled out the MA CORI form request, had it notarized, and sent it in with a $25 check and a self addressed stamped envelope (just as the form I received from Douglas PD told me to do) . About 4 days later, I get my SASE back in the mail. In it is a form letter telling me that I did not submit the proper form and that personal checks were not an acceptable form of payment (money orders or bank checks only). The person who processed my request was nice enough to include the "proper" request form. Hmmm.... the "proper" form seems to have exactly the same information fields as the "improper" form I sent in... except the "proper" form consists of larger blocks (to print in) on two pages (versus the "improper" single page form I submitted). WFT #2.

I may try the process again or I may try the RI AG. This has been a great big PITA. I am also a member of Whitinsville F&G which is about 1 mile from my house, so I already have a place to shoot.

BTW - I've been an unrestricted MA Class A LTC card holder for 10+ years. Frustrating.

When I joined I went through the Burrilville PD but in reading the prior post it looks like that option is not available anymore.

I visited there a few months age and am still thinking of joining...but $450 for the first year is insanely steep, especially for me. I loved the club, their grounds are excellent, but I don't know...

Update - There is no option to do the RI background check (BCI) online. I had some free time today so I decided to go in person. Walked right up to the desk on South Main Street in Providence, handed the woman my passport and a $5 check, and I walked out with my "official" form minutes later. I was in and out so quickly the parking garage across the street didn't even charge me. Now all I have to do is cough up the $450 (ouch) first year dues and go to a Wallum Lake membership meeting (next is on 1/14/13).

Update - There is no option to do the RI background check (BCI) online. I had some free time today so I decided to go in person. Walked right up to the desk on South Main Street in Providence, handed the woman my passport and a $5 check, and I walked out with my "official" form minutes later. I was in and out so quickly the parking garage across the street didn't even charge me. Now all I have to do is cough up the $450 (ouch) first year dues and go to a Wallum Lake membership meeting (next is on 1/14/13).
Yeah they are quick with the backround checks. So fast infact, I double parked when I went to get mine.

For the guys who think $450 is alot - $150 of that is the initiation fee. It goes away the second time you pay dues. So the 2nd year is $300.

Unless of course, you volunteer your time. If you do enough hours, you can work your dues down to $50 a year. It takes 150 hours or more. That sounds like a lot, but I process the volunteer hour chits every month and there are some guys that do 100 hours or more in a month!

So while the first year's dues are expensive, the dues only go down every year. The more hours you do, the less you pay.

And sorry, but there's no out-smarting state and town bureacracy. The easiest thing for me to do was what I was supposed to do. I went to the RIAG and paid $5 in money order. But then again, I'm a Rhode Islander.

Damn. Got stuck in the West Coast for work and missed the January meeting. TK, is it mandatory to join at/just before a club meeting, or would it be possible to come by on a weekend?

Damn. Got stuck in the West Coast for work and missed the January meeting. TK, is it mandatory to join at/just before a club meeting, or would it be possible to come by on a weekend?

New memberships are only done prior to the monthly meetings on the second Monday of the month. You need to do an hour or so "interview" prior to the meeting. It's more of an overview. You will then be accepted into the membership during the meeting. It is possible to do the orientation and actual joining of the club on separate days (both still need to be before the meeting).

i live about 15 mins from wallum and have never been.I have been member at harvard for a few years now. i should check it out a club thats alot closer would be key

Well, the new website is going to kick-off on March 1.

I don't know if you guys have heard, but the work hours chit process is going to go online. You can now enter your hours in online, and have the chairperson sign it online, and then the Board will sign it online also.

Last edited:
I'm pretty interested in joining. I can't stand a lot of the local drinking clubs around here and want to join a legit club. Is anyone willing to mentor me with how to join, necessary forms, etc.? Do I have to get an out of state license from RI to cross state lines (I figured, just checking)?

I'm pretty interested in joining. I can't stand a lot of the local drinking clubs around here and want to join a legit club. Is anyone willing to mentor me with how to join, necessary forms, etc.? Do I have to get an out of state license from RI to cross state lines (I figured, just checking)?
Don't know about the other questions, but the last one: You do not need a license or permit to bring your handgun from MA directly to and from a range in RI. Don't go anywhere else.

§ 11-47-10 License or permit not required to carry to target range. – No license or permit shall be required for the purpose of carrying or transporting any pistol or revolver from one's home or place of business to a bona fide target practice range, nor from a bona fide target practice range to one's home or place of business, to engage in any shoot meet, or practice, provided that the pistol or revolver is broken down, unloaded and carried as openly as circumstances will permit, or provided that the pistols or revolvers are unloaded and secured in a separate container suitable for the purpose.

Its a shame. Id like to get my RI ltc since I'm in rhode island
So often and constantly travel into and through
But I know its impossible for me to get a RI ltc from out of state

Rhode Island is a free state. You don't need a concealed carry permit to join a gun club. It is possible to get a concealed carry permit if you're not a resident of RI. Its just a bit more complicated.

Back
Top Bottom