vets... can you give me some quick pointers on MGIB...

Lamina

Banned
I want to start using my education benefits. I'm in the IRR now, was in the reserves with a one year deployment in a combat zone... (REAP qualified?).

my work will provide me free access to online college.

how do I best go about this?

I want to start using my education benefits. I'm in the IRR now, was in the reserves with a one year deployment in a combat zone... (REAP qualified?).

my work will provide me free access to online college.

how do I best go about this?

If the government will pay for it, I say use that money and help your employer out by not having them pay for it.

It is my understanding that with a 1 year deployment in the reserves you should be eligible for 50% benefits under the post 9/11 GI bill. This includes 50% tuition at a state school paid, 50% of your housing allowance (is half of $1400, so $700 in Amherst for example), and 50% of the 1K year stipend for books, so $500. You are eligible to receive this benefits for 48 months.

Under the old GI Bill, for reservists, you are eligible for 18K over 36 months, which can be doubled to 36K via your units admin by way of kicker.

This is a dumbed down explanation as it was given to me. I am having issues with that 36K currently (will change to post 9/11 after deployment) so make sure you are getting the most you can before you start drawing from it.

You will need proof of enrollment, not sure if benefits are related to credits either.

Mike

If the government will pay for it, I say use that money and help your employer out by not having them pay for it.

no way. my employer doesn't pay me nearly enough to be doing them any favors. believe me, if you knew the company that owns the company that owns my work, you wouldn't be saying this.

If you have a service-connected disablilty of 10% or higher you qualify for VA Vocational Rehabilitation which will pay for a 4 year degree at ANY school in the state...even expensive private schools like Boston University. Voc Rehab also pays for books, fees, housing, etc.

I liked it better than the MGIB

va.gov

or talk to the schools veterans counselor (or coordinator)

the first thing you need is your cert. of eligibility from the VA. establish that on your own or through the school. set up your direct deposit ect...

-some of the "military" friendly schools will square you up, others will leave you high and dry.

edit:

the $$$ from the GI Bill is between the VA & You, as long as your work isn't federally funded, you can double dip (if you may) and collect your GI Bill and any state benefits (i.e. free tuition in MA).

you just can NOT collect from other federal education programs or benefits if you are using the GI Bill.... *generally speaking*

Are you 100% sure about the housing? I am pretty damn sure that Voc Rehab does not have a BAH allowance... Please elaborate!
http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/ Vocational Rehabilitation includes all fees and services to help that Veteran achieve his rehab goal. This is determined by the Vet. and VA Voc. Rehab counselor. If your individual plan requires you to attend an out of state school or university then on campus housing will be included with your tuition fees. If special adaptive housing is required then arrangements will be made to meet the needs required by the Veteran. Don't forget, Vocational Rehab benefits also come with a monthly stipend for the time that Veteran is enrolled in Voc. Rehab.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/ Vocational Rehabilitation includes all fees and services to help that Veteran achieve his rehab goal. This is determined by the Vet. and VA Voc. Rehab counselor. If your individual plan requires you to attend an out of state school or university then on campus housing will be included with your tuition fees. If special adaptive housing is required then arrangements will be made to meet the needs required by the Veteran. Don't forget, Vocational Rehab benefits also come with a monthly stipend for the time that Veteran is enrolled in Voc. Rehab.

Right, but BAH alone is not accounted for. The VocRehab [program will send you away to school, but I have never heard of them offering BAH similar to the one that the GI Bill offers. Infact, I've asked a VR counselor this and i was specifically told that the program does not offer BAH.

I'll ask again, though.

oh and the BAH only applies to Ch. 30, GI Bill.... i.e. the Active Duty one you pay $100 bucks a month, your first 12 to 18 months in the Active Duty (or) you can "buy" into it if you are mobilized under title 10 u.s.c (federal active duty)

-right?

had a troop get her feelings hurt about that recently [laugh]

oh and the BAH only applies to Ch. 30, GI Bill.... i.e. the Active Duty one you pay $100 bucks a month, your first 12 to 18 months in the Active Duty (or) you can "buy" into it if you are mobilized under title 10 u.s.c (federal active duty)

-right?

had a troop get her feelings hurt about that recently [laugh]

?????????????????

Right, but BAH alone is not accounted for. The VocRehab [program will send you away to school, but I have never heard of them offering BAH similar to the one that the GI Bill offers. Infact, I've asked a VR counselor this and i was specifically told that the program does not offer BAH.

I'll ask again, though.

You are correct, Voc. Rehab does not offer BAH; that is part of the GI Bill.

http://education.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/new-gi-bill-overview

Monthly Living Stipend
As an eligible veteran or member of the National Guard or Selected Reserve you may receive a monthly housing allowance (living stipend) based on the ZIP code of the location of the school you are attending - not your home ZIP code. This stipend currently averages $1,200 a month, but can run as high as $2,700.

This stipend is based on the DoD's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. This stipend does not require students to live on campus.

NOTE: Servicemembers currently on active duty and veterans (and eligible family members) taking courses on a half-time or less basis and/or taking 100% of their classes at a distance (online etc.) do not qualify for the monthly housing stipend.

Check out the Military.com GI Bill Calculator to get an estimate of how much you can get under the new Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Resources:

http://www.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/new-gi-bill-overview#hs

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/basic-allowance-for-housing-rates

Last edited:
edit:

i am NOT an education counselor - but it is in my interest, as a Veteran and current troop to "keep up" with the times.

this stuff is confusing.

as 007 suggested, the best thing to do is determine your own eligibility on your own with the VA or school education (finance or tuition) dept.

a copy of member 4, DD 214 and /or equivalent discharge papers (NGB 22's ect) with your school or the VA

[wink]

ask Dench... [laugh]

edit: http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/step-by-step.htm

You are correct, Voc. Rehab does not offer BAH; that is part of the GI Bill.

http://education.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/new-gi-bill-overview

Monthly Living Stipend
As an eligible veteran or member of the National Guard or Selected Reserve you may receive a monthly housing allowance (living stipend) based on the ZIP code of the location of the school you are attending - not your home ZIP code. This stipend currently averages $1,200 a month, but can run as high as $2,700.

This stipend is based on the DoD's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. This stipend does not require students to live on campus.

NOTE: Servicemembers currently on active duty and veterans (and eligible family members) taking courses on a half-time or less basis and/or taking 100% of their classes at a distance (online etc.) do not qualify for the monthly housing stipend.

Check out the Military.com GI Bill Calculator to get an estimate of how much you can get under the new Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Resources:

http://www.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/new-gi-bill-overview#hs

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/basic-allowance-for-housing-rates

i caution against taking any "dot-com" website for gospel.

it also has to do with the person's enlistment contract.

i.e. if they signed up for the student loan payment program, they may be SOL. or if they aren't a veteran by the VA standards or got Voc Rehab or something else.

there are all kinds of "IF" this then "NO" that with this stuff. -the school, Veterans status and enlistment contract are an important factor.

The . coms are there to provide you with guideline information. It's up to you or your VA rep. to figure out and provide the details regarding your service eligibility.
The benefits are there if you quailify; make sure you take full advantage of them.

Also, make sure you compare benefits available through MGIB versus REAP... there may be different advantages to one over the other, if you're eligible for both.

Okay... I just did a quick check via the military.com GI bill calculator...

It says I'm elidgible for xxxx to be paid to the school per term for tuition and fees...

If the school isn't charging any tuition or fees, then no one gets anything?

Maybe I'm a tard, but I had thought that the fact that I spent a year on a deployment in a designated combat zone made me elidgible for some dough... Is this only if I'm going to a "hard" campus (as in physical, versus online)?

Back
Top Bottom