• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Veterans Day

I used to thank Veterans for their service but I been told that it offends some of them, the standard answer is "I didn't do it for you" so I don't bother anymore

I always say Happy Veterans day, hope you have a good day to my father and he simply says "Every Day is Veterans day"
If you thanked someone and they gave you shit back I would say f*** off then😂.

Aholes are Aholes whether they are a Veteran or not, keep being an Outstanding American!!👍🏻

Your Dad is absolutely right and I hope he and you have a Meritorious Day! 🇺🇸

I used to thank Veterans for their service but I been told that it offends some of them, the standard answer is "I didn't do it for you" so I don't bother anymore

I always say Happy Veterans day, hope you have a good day to my father and he simply says "Every Day is Veterans day"
I think that response might arise from all the shit that has transpired in this country on a continuous basis. It grates on a lot of people, myself included. In my opinion, any vet that is thanked for his or her service should accept it and just say "You're Welcome" or say nothing at all and just move on.

Lots of people say it without the slightest sincerity and do so just to satisfy themselves and/or relieve their own conscience.

Not everyone is cut out for the military, but those who have served should be recognized, whether they served in peacetime or at war, the need for a strong military is always there and that takes people in uniform.

I think that response might arise from all the shit that has transpired in this country on a continuous basis. It grates on a lot of people, myself included. In my opinion, any vet that is thanked for his or her service should accept it and just say "You're Welcome" or say nothing at all and just move on.

Lots of people say it without the slightest sincerity and do so just to satisfy themselves and/or relieve their own conscience.

Not everyone is cut out for the military, but those who have served should be recognized, whether they served in peacetime or at war, the need for a strong military is always there and that takes people in uniform.
Very well said.

I also understand a little bit of it, whenever I was in my Gay Sheriff's department uniform out grabbing a coffee or something someone would occasionally say they appreciate what I do or thanked me and I always said "Thank you, I appreciate it but I am getting compensated for it and it's just a job" I can't say it annoyed me but I definitely preferred to not be approached so I get it.

It is good to see veterans getting preferred treatment out there though, my father told me when he came home from Vietnam people were screaming the most vulgar shit at them at Logan which is disgusting.

I don't like it. But it doesn't offend me and I'm not a jerk about it. I usually just smile and mumble something.

But it's awkward for me. I don't think I deserve anyone's thanks. I got paid, and when all was said and done I did it for me, not for "you."

I don't like it. But it doesn't offend me and I'm not a jerk about it. I usually just smile and mumble something.

But it's awkward for me. I don't think I deserve anyone's thanks. I got paid, and when all was said and done I did it for me, not for "you."
This…all day this. I was my choice as at the time, I was out of choices but it’s not a judge said do this or else, nor was I drafted. I guess looking back it was a calculated risk but one the 17 year old in me did not understand. Put in the same circumstance, I would do it again..but it is not for everyone.

You gotta pick your words wisely though, depending on what uniform you see them wearing. Most servicemen you would nod, tip the hat or salute and say 'thank you for your service' or some variation. For some others, something like 'OOORAH DEVIL DOG GET SOME' works better.

Very well said.

I also understand a little bit of it, whenever I was in my Gay Sheriff's department uniform out grabbing a coffee or something someone would occasionally say they appreciate what I do or thanked me and I always said "Thank you, I appreciate it but I am getting compensated for it and it's just a job" I can't say it annoyed me but I definitely preferred to not be approached so I get it.

It is good to see veterans getting preferred treatment out there though, my father told me when he came home from Vietnam people were screaming the most vulgar shit at them at Logan which is disgusting.
This says it all to me. I'm both a veteran and work in public safety. I don't advertise either, and get uncomfortable when on duty when people come up to us thanking us. I show my appreciation to them, and realize it's better than the alternative, but as you mention, I chose the profession and all the crap that can come with it. I also chose the Army at that time.

On the other hand, there are others out there with the shit emblazoned all over them so the whole world knows what they do or did. That's their choice I suppose, but not my style.

You gotta pick your words wisely though, depending on what uniform you see them wearing. Most servicemen you would nod, tip the hat or salute and say 'thank you for your service' or some variation. For some others, something like 'OOORAH DEVIL DOG GET SOME' works better.
If you or anybody gives me an oohrah or tells me to get some I’m throwing my medium iced coffee from Dunks in thier face

There was actually a recent study on this. It found the only demographic typically ok with it was 60+.

There was actually a recent study on this. It found the only demographic typically ok with it was 60+.
Makes sense because years ago I remember the WW2 and Korean vets wearing the hats all the time and lit up when the Thank you for your service was said to them, I think Vietnam guys still like it.

My father is appreciative of it but you would never know he served, all he has is his USMC forearm tattoo and on his car is the US Flag sticker, nothing else. No USMC/Vietnam hats, stickers or license plates at all. He is proud but has survivors guilt and hates what has come of the country. It's pretty sad actually

.Lots of people say it without the slightest sincerity and do so just to satisfy themselves and/or relieve their own conscience.
It only irritates me when it’s the biggest flag waving war mongering hypocrites who never got close to a uniform, but are eager to send everyone else’s kids off to war.

I want to tell them to go thank the professional veteran wearing every patch ever made, to commemorate their six months of active duty at Fort Benjamin Harrison, before getting a medical discharge after that career ending paper cut.

It only irritates me when it’s the biggest flag waving war mongering hypocrites who never got close to a uniform, but are eager to send everyone else’s kids off to war.

I want to tell them to go thank the professional veteran wearing every patch ever made, to commemorate their six months of active duty at Fort Benjamin Harrison, before getting a medical discharge after that career ending paper cut.
my bone spurs in my feet

Mommy…………

Ya mean those guys driving Chevy Silverado's 55mph in the left lane with "US ARMY VETERAN RETIRED" in 12" letters all across the back window of their truck and also wearing a "US ARMY RETIRED" hat ? Those guys seem like they are just looking for people to thank them for their cervix.

Feel the same. I alway feel uncomfortable about it when someone thanks me. I’d rather they not. Never really know what to say when they do.

Do you know to clarify my stance on this bullshit is today is the day we think of those that served in those of the past and I’ve been very fortunate to be in contact with all my buddies and I actually has a reunion going on that I haven’t been able to attend And it’s killing me that I can’t be there…
God bless America and my brothers. Well you wouldn’t understand.

I had the honor and privilege to say thank you to a veteran today in person.

This is what I'm talking about, with all the respect in the world to @peterk123

YOU think it's an "honor and a privilege," for YOU. For the person you're saying it to? They might be cringing inside. They might want you to STFU. They might wish you hadn't even spoken to them. They'll politely nod and mumble something, but the entire time? They'll wish you'd go away and shut up.

In other words, when you thank a vet, it's about YOU, and not them. Ask yourself if that's the message you want to be sending to veterans, because (again, all respect, unironically given) the message I receive when you say thanks? Is that it's all about you civilians, and not about me. I'd rather just be left alone. You can go have your honor and your privilege some other way; don't tie it to my life choices.

Just something to think about.

This says it all to me. I'm both a veteran and work in public safety. I don't advertise either, and get uncomfortable when on duty when people come up to us thanking us. I show my appreciation to them, and realize it's better than the alternative, but as you mention, I chose the profession and all the crap that can come with it. I also chose the Army at that time.

On the other hand, there are others out there with the shit emblazoned all over them so the whole world knows what they do or did. That's their choice I suppose, but not my style.
I'm not a veteran but have worked both FD & PD jobs, and I agree with you about the uncomfortableness when people say thank you. I started borrowing the Chic Fil-A line of "My Pleasure" because it's better to have a positive interaction and spreads some goodwill. So in honor of my late Dad and late Nana & Gramps, thank you to all Veterans, you are appreciated. [iwojima]

Back
Top Bottom